What weight at type 2 diagnosis?

robinn

Hi everyone,

I heard that overweight is a major factor for getting type 2, but at what weights/BMI did you really get type II? And what was your age?

I am only 35 myself but slightly overweight, so my doc has told me i am already now at higher risk for type 2 diabetes.

LittleWolf

Hello and welcome xxz

There are at least a dozen other risk factors to consider and you should look at your diet, family history etc as well.

But obviously if anyone is overweight, they should look to lose it. This isn't to do with judgement or aesthetic but for the simple reason you are at risk for a boatload of health problems other than your self esteem/mental health. If you are overweight and have heath problems or worry about them the most logical thing is to remove the weight factor.

That being said plenty of people get lung cancer without ever having smoked etc

I'm not officially diagnosed yet but the numbers say diabetic and I am more on the underweight side. That isn't to say I don't have visceral fat around my organs. I know I had a poor diet. And alot of skinny type 2s still ATE like obese people only it doesnt show on the outside. This isn't a tirade against overweight people. I was overweight as a child and went too much the other way and became anorexic, then stupidly binged on fatty sugary food. If I brought the current blood sugar problem on myself, then got to accept that. Being overweight isn't healthy, got to accept that.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck! Are you going to be tested for diabetes now you have been told you are at risk?

Even if you're not, the diet advice on this site is beneficial anyway. In the meantime, don't panic! Just got to look to the future and the hope of a healthy, positive lifestyle, even the skinny people have got to make changes ;3

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

robinn

Hi littlewolf,

Thanks for the support. Yeah i was also tested for diabetes, but at this time the blood glucose values were just fine! Yeah i do understand that it is unhealthy being overweight, its just hard to accept it. lol :)

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know how long I've had it but taking vast amounts of chocolate and sugary drinks (escalating) to combat tiredness and no exercise was probably a factor more than weight.
I have been up to middling overweight BMI but am usually borderline normal/overweight.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
at diagnosis aged 48 my BMI was 25 (barely overweight).
For the previous 25 years my BMI had fluctuated around the 22 to 23 mark and I was doing shedloads of exercise (3 hours a day average). Prior to that (student years) I was a bit overweight, say BMI 26 for a year or two. before that going back to my teenage and childhood years I was skinny as a rake.
I think i'm supposed to be skinny so average for others is probably obese for me.
Its all relative :?

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Hi robinn,

Overweight all my life, builder for last 45 years, very very fit, I could work most others into a frazzle, diagnosed type 2 about 8 years ago weighing just short of 18 stones. I don't know how important precise weight should be as the charts I have show my ideal weight within a band of where I am now, 12.5st, to nearly 1stone lighter. I will save that stone for a rainy day. BUT, I do wish I had lost weight years ago.
lrw60

KerrieG

As a child I was really skinny, but then once I got to secondary school I got bigger. I eventually lost about 4 stone once I left school. I was diagnosed last year, aged 25 and I was 11 stone 3. My BMI is 26.5

Vern

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars
Hi!

Age is 54. Diagnosed Type 2 first with Pregnancy, then again about a year ago. BMI was 25.9. Now BMI is 22. Still diabetic but well controlled on LowCarb diet. That is under 50gr carbs a day. HBa1c 5.7.

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
was 17st 10lb was diagnosed type 2 at age 55.
now weigh 13st 6lb at age 58 but dr said it would not matter if i was 9st or less as mine was inherited from my mother plus diabetes getting worse evev thou i lost all that weight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My mother was diagnosed at below 7 stone, i.e. very low weight. Her mother had it, and my mother's very overweight sister was constantly being tested for it, but seems to have so far escaped the 'cursed' - thus proving that weight isn't the only factor involved in type 2. I also find it hard to believe that my mother carries any visceral fat on her... as she doesn't even have enough fat on her stomach to inject her insulin there, and has to instead use her thighs.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
Diagnosed last week as Type 2. The last blood test I had 4 years ago I was told that I was in danger of becoming type 2 and my cholesterol; was 7.6.
Was put on Simvastatin and learned last week that it is now 5.2.
That was the only good news. I was told I am now Type 2 and my liver is showing signs of hitting the skids so I am cramming as much info as possible as my first diabetic nurse visit is next Wednesday. I will want to know my exact results and I also want a monitor.
I am 55. Was a gardener for 30 years and didn't have an ounce of fat on me. I was fine up until I was 50. Then I was diagnosed with Emphasyma and my life fell apart as I have lost a lot of family members young to Emphasyma,including my lovely long term partner Mick who died in 2003 aged 49.
I am now 15 stone. I used to be 10 stone 5 years ago.I also drink every evening. I think of myself as a responsible drinker as although I now live alone I never drink during the day. I like Rose wine and drink half a bottle every night. That's 4 units a day as its only 8% but I still drink everyday and my liver never has a rest.

I am hoping that if I cut down (or preferably cut out) my wine I will be able to lose some of this weight.

I eat well.always have done. Don't have a sweet tooth at all but do love my cheese....

This is a wonderful forum and I have learned lots already,

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I weighed 15 stones and my BMI was over 38, aged 47. Although diabetes is hereditary on my mother's side, i probably got mine earlier because of being obese.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I weighed 6 1/2 stone age 68 HbA1c 15.9
CAROL

LittleWolf

We all got you back Robin xxx

I'm taking up ballet-pole dancing and start next month... So excited!

If you do the whole diet and exercise thing you have a whole forum full of people on the same journey. Make exercise fun.

I may be an ex anorexic and still skinny by a lot of people's standards I'm gonna try more exercise to sort my numbers and PCOS. Let us know how the weight loss goes okies? Lots of trade secrets on this forum- nutrition is complicated! Not so simple as just cutting the deserts lol

Many hugs xxx

CarlG

Two months or so before diagnosis I was at 125kg. What a shocker! So I decided to do something about it, and started having small walks every now and then and without breaking too much sweat I was down to 118kg at official diagnosis day. Hard exercise brought me down to 78kg (was never able to reach that golden 75kg mark/50kg loss :thumbdown:), and have since gained weight. Currently 86kg, despite insane amounts of exercise (wth am I doing wrong?) :)

But yeah, getting the weight down combined with exercise and better eating habits brought my levels to acceptable (non diabetic) ranges. I was 40 at the time.

burcidi

I was diagnosed when I was 25 and I was obese (70 kilos I think, I'm only 5'2'').

I'm certain that my weight gain triggered an earlier diagnosis for me (I developed diabetes earliest in my extended family) but weight wasn't the only factor. I also had hypothyroidism when I was diagnosed and type 2 diabetes runs in my family. Both my parents have it and a bunch of relatives on my mom's side.

The sad part is, I don't have hypothyroidism anymore and my diabetes is under control but I'm still fat. I'm 63 kilos and unable to lose. I can't say I'm very active, I walk 30-40 min everyday. And I do eat carbs moderately and sometimes I cheat and eat something with sugar.

I actually think that genetics and stress caused my diabetes. After I fell into depression, I developed hypothyroidism, type 2 diabetes and a herniated disc in my back all within a year or two. Stress triggers weight gain, causes the immune system to weaken and a bunch of disorders follow.