LOW CARB DIET

dootsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
exercise
I have type 2 , and need to lose weight - am just over 16 stone - 5ft female - age 50

I hear a lot about going on a low carb diet - do i have to weigh all my food? And what foods are carbs - does that include things like baked beans which are not only proteins but carbs too - with lots of sugar content.

I know that carbs are potato, rice, bread, pasta, but does it mean going without - what if you have a large appetite and starving without these carbs.

I have my own chef - my partner - but is still difficult to maintain a healthy balance as he does all the cooking.

I dont know where to start or what to do.

He thinks its all about sugar intake to which i am surprised .

Fallen_skydive_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya, I don't particularly, in fact hardly ever restrict my carb content, but I'm type one. However I do from time to time follow the Primal Blueprint way of eating, which is all about low carbs and high protein and veg etc. It's also called the Palleo (not sure I've spelt it correct though) diet. I've got all the primal blueprint books and recipe books and loads of my friends have enjoyed the recipes and food so much they've taken to it too. It also helps to lose weight but continue to feel full after meals (I hardly ever snack between meals when I follow it). And the books tell you all the nutritional content of the food per portion etc. You can google Primal Blueprint and there's a website dedicated to it which tells you what it's all about, the benefits and recipes.

It may not be for you, but it's got some tasty, healthy recipes nonetheless.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnydawn

hiya I,m new to the forum today and just saw your post about low carbing. I am 43 and about the same weight as yourself. I have been type 2 for eight years now and I am embarking on a new course of action to loose weight and possibly even my diabetes.
I bought a book by Patrick holford called the low GL diet bible(you can google on amazon) and it explains which foods especially carbs effect blood sugar levels.I have decided to really try and change my eating and do more excerise so I have ordered the slimn6 excerise dvd a six week programme of very doable excerises.(again on amazon pricey but your health is worth it.) I,m aiming for a good weight loss by the time I go back to my dr in December for my six month check. I hope you have a minute and google these suggestions.wish me luck and I hope you get a diet that suits you. x

dootsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
exercise
donnydawn said:
hiya I,m new to the forum today and just saw your post about low carbing. I am 43 and about the same weight as yourself. I have been type 2 for eight years now and I am embarking on a new course of action to loose weight and possibly even my diabetes.
I bought a book by Patrick holford called the low GL diet bible(you can google on amazon) and it explains which foods especially carbs effect blood sugar levels.I have decided to really try and change my eating and do more excerise so I have ordered the slimn6 excerise dvd a six week programme of very doable excerises.(again on amazon pricey but your health is worth it.) I,m aiming for a good weight loss by the time I go back to my dr in December for my six month check. I hope you have a minute and google these suggestions.wish me luck and I hope you get a diet that suits you. x

I do hope all goes well for you, but my head feels as empty as my stomach - lol :lol:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Most food packaging lists carb content so you shouldn't need to weigh it. Set yourself an initial daily carb target of, say, 150gm/day and adjust as needed to get your blood sugar and weight down. You will need to get used to having smaller appetite. Yes, watch for sugar added to baked beans, yogurt and, well, everything. Sugar is just another carb but often you don't need it. Have low-GI carbs which are better overall; this includes baked beans but the low-sugar ones. So you don't need to go without carbs but do reduce them to a daily total level. Reduce your overall daily calorie intake to get the weight down. Good luck.