Final tweak to bread recipe

B

badcat

Been playing about with recipes for making bread and have come up with this which works out to 7-8g carbs and 100-110 cals
per slice / roll depending on the mix of rye & wheat bread used

170g flour ( rye or wheat or a mix of the 2 - I wouldn't use all white wheat flour but have used up to 30g of it in the mix)
110g wheat gluten
2 eggs
2 tsp fast acting yeast
75g flaxseeds
100g sunflower/ pumpkin seeds or a mix of the 2
25g Unsalted butter
2 tsp Splenda ( I suspect this could be omitted)
300ml water

Mix everything by using either the dough setting of a breadmaker or food processor ( you could prob do by hand but I'm too lazy)
I divide the resulting dough into 6x 60g balls to make rolls and use the rest to make a loaf
Put onto baking tray / loaf tin as appropriate
Leave to rise in a warm place for 20 mins or so ( I've done 15 and 30 mins - both have worked)
Bake in oven at 160 degrees for around half an hour
NBC 60g dough makes a 45g roll
I have used a breadmaker for the whole process before now but have had a problem with the bread rising high and then collapsing - cooking it in the oven seems to have solved the problem
Photo below

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,263

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
It looks delicious - but have you worked out how much carbohydrate there is per roll or per slice?

Dennis

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Looks lovely but unfortunately too many carbs for me

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you say per slice, how big are we talking?

I made a loaf this week taking my added protein a step further, with one cup each of rye and spelt flours, one cup of hemp protein powder plus about half a cup of sunflower and flax seeds.

Result is a very dense, dark loaf, but tastes very good. Approx 20g carbs per 1/8 of a loaf (100gr) which is my typical serving size

iHs

I often make my partner gluten free bread using a mix of rice, tapioca, soya and cornflours in a breadmaker. I also use xanthan gum to make it stick together.

As far as I know.... hotish water needs to be added to the breadmaker first, then followed by the other liquids, and then the flours on top of the liquids followed by the salt, sugar and then the yeast sprinkled on top. I tend to use 4tsp of yeast and that makes the bread rice up and it all cooks ok. An alternative to xanthan gum is to use gelatine.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
so a little bit lighter than mine, looks nice from the pic.