If you take supplements, what do you take them for?

If you take supplements, what do you take them for?

• General health

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • Eye health

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Heart health

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Joint health

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Mental health

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Sexual health

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Vitamin deficiencies

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • Other (please specify in a post below)

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • None

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Here's our new monthly poll! This month's question is: if you take supplements, what do you take them for?

Please remember that all poll results are anonymous but you're welcome to elaborate.

Which ones do you use?
Have you noticed differences between brands?
Have you noticed a difference since you started taking them?
Would you recommend them to others?

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
How about starting with "Do you take supplements?"? It would be interesting to get an idea of how many people do and don't take them. Personally, I don't: I am hoping that my LCHF diet gives me enough of everything; and I don't believe in all the weird stuff promoted in dodgy web sites, supported by pseudo-scientific arguments.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

WhitbyJet

I take Alpha-Lipoic Acid, hoping that I can continue to improve CKD and neuropathy.

As part of my healthy lchf diet I also have a daily teaspoon of cinnamon and regularly eat elderberries (stewed/coulis) to boost the immune system (google Sambucol for info, do yourself a favour and collect and freeze elderberries for free, no need to buy expensive supplements)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Use I caps [eyes] and take VitaminD forte supplements too .
I.caps with 10mg Lutein/Zeaxanthin [my eye consultant prescribed these ]

My vitamin D levels were a shock coming in at only 23.7 - well under the recommended .50 acceptable range .

I was so weary prior to getting these as a supplement .
They have helped give me some 'more' energy and spark back !

So I am in favour of using a supplement 'if' needed :thumbup:

Anna .

A

Anonymous

Vitamin D very low in it. I am also taking a multivitamin need to keep my iron level up. The vitamin D has help some what with the tiredness. The multivitamins I think has bought my potassium level up a bit.

pickledpepper2

I take vit D because I was low (about 27 units when minimal level is considered 50).

I sporadically drink cinnamon 'tea' (simply cinnamon sticks boiled in water for a while).

I also have karela - I used to have tablets but costs meant I couldn't continue with this and now just get the veg and fry them when I make curry about twice a week.

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Vitamin c, zinc and echinacea all to prevent colds

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

visayas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Major dislike is my memory loss issues
I sprinkle cinnamon liberally on my breakfast porridge and I'm thinking about making my own ginger tea. Memory is going so using B6,B12 tablets. Any thoughts?

Donkeymad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Salihu said:
Hi mode,
how do u cope wit the hunger as multivitamin will empty ur stomach

Really? I have never heard that before, very interesting. :?

I take Zinc, as an immunity boost, I did not have any colds whilst taking it but got them when I stopped, so started taking them again.

Having been recently anorexic, on advice, I have been taking multi-vitamins and Calcium with Vitamin D (necessary with calcium) for a while.

Thanks chris lowe, I did not know what it was either. :oops:

nok1888

I take a probiotic multivitamin and a calcium and magnesium supplement. The probiotic is to help my IBS and the calcium, magnesium and vitamin B's from the multi is to stop me getting cramp while out walking. I notice a big difference especially no cramp when walking

Valeris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Heavy exercise.Salt Vegetables without spices
I am over 50 and work in a care home as a waking night support worker. I take 1x1000mg of vitamin C with wild Rose Hips to assist the immune system every day and two if I am ill. It has worked so far. :)

RichardJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just Protien to cover exercise, and zinc and vit C when ill.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I have no need for any supplements as I am not deficient in any as far as I am aware.

I get all the vitamins and minerals I need from a healthy balanced diet :thumbup:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Multivitamins & minerals (30+ components) - to offset the claims that LCHF results in nutrient deficiency
Glycosamine/chondroitin - to prevent joint pain - starting with tennis elbow I once had; I do notice joint pain if I stop taking it for a month or so.
Vitamin D - my wife has been prescribed as needing it
Cinnamon (powder in cooking) - reputed to be benficial for diabetes
All the beneficial components of TEA - known as THE panacea since its introduction centuries ago.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I chose 'general health' and 'other'.

I have an eating disorder and other mental health issues which mean I don't have a good diet, so I take a multi-vitamin and also zinc to help with my generally poor-functioning immune system.

I'm currently waiting for an appointment to see the doctor for tests for vitB and vitD deficiency.