Cannula's - best place for them?

albannach2

HI
I'm a newbie to pumping (6 weeks so far) but have to say wouldn't be without it now. Only thing is I'm having a bit of a problem finding a good place to put the cannula. Tried stomach area, but found that pretty uncomfortable even though there is more there than there should be :D Would welcome some advice on other good places to put cannula where it readily absorped.
Thanks, Sally

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I rotate between stomach and hips so I don't come back to the same area for over 2 weeks . I try to put them as far back as possible on my hips, but am limited by the acrobatics needed I have tried the top of the thighs but that sometimes hurts .
Have you experimented with different types and lengths of cannula ? I much prefer the angled silhouette to the straight quicksets, and I prefer to insert manually rather than with an inserter, but it varies from person to person.

albannach2

Hi, thanks for your response. I have been trying stomach mainly so far but wasnt really sure how far round towards your hips you can go, but spose its just trial and error. Certainly it would be nice to get it off the waistband area as I find that pretty uncomfortable. Yep, tried the insertors, but I don't like them either, so am now onto manual insertion with the silhouette which is fine, at least you know fairly early on if you've put it in a duff place and can reinsert it if needs be.

Haven't tried tops of thigh I have to say but will give it a go. Thanks for your help

Sally

bonerp

I use the steel ones now. More comfortable than those huge inserters!!! I use in top of legs (but have to be careful other can go into muscle), top of backside (but thats a struggle) or belly round to back.