Different readings on different meters

H

Hooked

Contacted the diabetic nurse and was told not to use the new meter. Shame cos I find it more user friendly than the old one and it needs a smaller blood sample. :(

QasimH

Hi I found the same issue when I changed meters last year.. Each meter is different in how it takes readings but usually only by 1.0 .. Stick to one that you are comfortable with and follow the instructions carefully such as making sure that you wash and dry your fingers properly with each test as some meters react differently to contamination I had the same problem.

Hope that helps :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

H

Hooked

QasimH said:
Hi I found the same issue when I changed meters last year.. Each meter is different in how it takes readings but usually only by 1.0 .. Stick to one that you are comfortable with and follow the instructions carefully such as making sure that you wash and dry your fingers properly with each test as some meters react differently to contamination I had the same problem.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for the tips. Diabetic nurse says she can check out the meter and go through with me how to use in on my next visit with her. She also has another monitor I might want a look at. I'm spoilt for choice now. 8)

pickledpepper2

Was thinking of getting the 'Codefree' meter as it has such cheap strips but got put off by umpteen reviews with indicate unreliable readings.

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought a Codefree and the readings are all over the place. Mostly higher but not in a consistent way, so it's hard to know what's going on. I trust my Medisana meter from Boots as it's only been 0.1-0.2 higher than my lab tests. I used some control solution with the Codefree and it gave me a reading of 7.0, typically my other meter is in the mid 6s. The Codefree is just about good enough to see general trends—higher or lower, or track BG levels coming down after a meal, etc—but I don't trust the absolute figures. Meters do give variable results though, and none of them are perfect.

Md.rose

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me the Codefree meter is giving consistent results similar to the one touch ultra 2 that I have used for a number of years. And of course the test strips are a third of the price. Type 2 changed doctor as previous one retired, new doctor not providing test strips!