VIVID DREAMS

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Several years ago, I started to get daytime 'flashes', like pictures in my mind. Before the 2004 tsunami, I saw a huge wall of water and I couldn't stop crying for days. Other times I would feel the ground moving under my feet and my legs would feel shaky and wobbly. Then an earthquake would happen somewhere. My emotions seemed to mirror whatever was happening - water - crying - earthquake - shaking etc. Then that all stopped.

I didn't remember any of my dreams for years but suddenly about 2 years ago I started having really vivid dreams again. I always seem to wake up halfway through these dreams then go back into them and finish them off. But I remember EVERY SINGLE DETAIL of these dreams. Then later they come true, I find myself in exactly the same situation in the dream. Does anyone else have experience of this? :think:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Well ... no wonder I wake up tired!!! :shock:

I've discovered I have a very active and tempestuous dream life at times. Last week I woke up one night in the middle of an almighty row with my ex husband. God knows what we were shouting about but we were both yelling at each other at the top of our voices and I kept yelling "I can't get through to you, you NEVER LISTEN and you always shout me down. Well I'm not going to be shouted down this time!!!"

I woke in the middle of that and I was exhausted to say the least. Two nights later I woke again, this time I'd been trying to phone him in my dream and was angry that he wasn't answering his phone. Then in the dream I went to my handbag and found MY HUSBAND's phone was in MY bag and so I got angry again that I couldn't get through to him. So I phoned my sister and asked her to try phoning him, and I kept saying "I just CAN'T get through to the man!" Then I woke up. Again, exhausted, hyped up, angry, you name it. No flipping wonder I'm having night sweats. There's more going on in my sleep 20 years post divorce than went on when we were married!!! :lol:

I didn't remember one single dream for well over 15 years and now I'm waking almost every night in the middle of some weird or wonderful scenario. Last night I dreamed of a friend who is no longer a friend and in the dream I was conversing with her daughter who was telling me what her mother is 'really like'. I woke up feeling really, really sad and a bit gobsmacked that all this is still swishing around in my psyche after all these years.

Maybe there's more to diabetes than meets the eye.

Anyone else surprised by the content of some of their dreams lately?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have very similar dreams to you. I can wake up FUMING over some imaginary row with someone. I often wake, think my dream was weird, then go back to sleep and carry it on!

What I find most odd is my dreams aren't about unusual things. It's all everyday activities or things that COULD happen. I often been caught out and has to work out if the event I has just been talking about has been a dream or not.

Recently I dreamt my dog "caught" diabetes from me. I posted on here about it somewhere!

It's definitely not diabetes related though, I've had this all my life and I've only been T1 for 3 months!

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A Hamster passed through the wall, threw confetti and salad cream everywhere. When I got mad about the mess he said, in Mandarin, I think it was, not to worry as the world was tilting funny tomorrow. Now seeing that he did pass through a wall I was inclined to believe him and I started to think on a bit here. it's not even Friday the 13th. He looked at me and asked me what the date was mumbling "Hiya fingers" to himself. After I told him he said sorry, warned me about time machines and to try to be dead before 2037 at half-two, or the world would do it for you. Then he turned and slam dunked himself into the bin. When I looked inside all that was left was a chicken bone, an OXO wrapper and Minder on Blu-ray. I tried to pick the disc out the bin but when I did it turned to into shampoo ( I could tell by the consistency, Vidal Sassoon I think).

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
MCMLXXIII said:
A Hamster passed through the wall, threw confetti and salad cream everywhere. When I got mad about the mess he said, in Mandarin, I think it was, not to worry as the world was tilting funny tomorrow. Now seeing that he did pass through a wall I was inclined to believe him and I started to think on a bit here. it's not even Friday the 13th. He looked at me and asked me what the date was mumbling "Hiya fingers" to himself. After I told him he said sorry, warned me about time machines and to try to be dead before 2037 at half-two, or the world would do it for you. Then he turned and slam dunked himself into the bin. When I looked inside all that was left was a chicken bone, an OXO wrapper and Minder on Blu-ray. I tried to pick the disc out the bin but when I did it turned to into shampoo ( I could tell by the consistency, Vidal Sassoon I think).

Whatever you're on..... Can I have some?!?

I have dinner with my friends every Monday. We do it at each others houses. I once dreamt that for dinner one friend served me smoked Mackerel and coleslaw. Neither of which I can stand......

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I often have vivid dreams, and often partially wake up, think about how they should go next, then go back to sleep and finish them off. Since I write fantasy role-playing games (i.e. Dungeons & Dragons style pen-and-paper games) for a living, this is *really* useful - almost all the games I've had published have been based on dreams. Since I'm self-employed and work from home, I don't tend to set the alarm in the morning, as lying in bed dreaming is part of the work day! :D Never had any that came true in a literal sense though.

Isobel94

I had a dream that I was a surgeon, or had previously been a surgeon. There was someone lying on an operating table in the theatre, and I had to operate on him, but I didn't know how because I didn't know anything whatsoever about performing any kind of operation... So there were fellow surgeons around me trying to re-orientate me with the whole thing, and I was washing my hands with latex gloves on, and the surgeons were telling me "Don't panic"... Next thing I knew there was a pipe shoved down into my stomach, and I could see inside my stomach. My stomach made a noise and I could see all its contents drain out.... Ugh... So weird. I work up thinking of the German word "Chirurg", which means "surgeon". Don't know where that came from! Maybe because I'm eating rather a lot of cheese lately... :shifty:

LittleWolf

I had very vivid dreams as a child and occasionally now. They were also in real world settings or very much plausible. (except when i have dreams/hypnogogic or hypnopompic hallucinations comprising mostly of shape and mathematical principles which is surprisingly common in people on the autistic spectrum) I remember dreaming about being out shopping with my mother and coming under attack being told to run for my life

Lo and behold later I was out shopping with my mother when a bomb went off

My T2 grandmother rarely remembers her Metformin and only tests before bed here and there so diabetes is not often on her mind. However she did have one vivid dream about some sort of procedure on the pancreas and was intrigued to find a spread on islet cell transplant in the paper the next day. *shrug*

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
LittleWolf said:
I had very vivid dreams as a child and occasionally now. They were also in real world settings or very much plausible. (except when i have dreams/hypnogogic or hypnopompic hallucinations comprising mostly of shape and mathematical principles which is surprisingly common in people on the autistic spectrum) I remember dreaming about being out shopping with my mother and coming under attack being told to run for my life

Lo and behold later I was out shopping with my mother when a bomb went off

My T2 grandmother rarely remembers her Metformin and only tests before bed here and there so diabetes is not often on her mind. However she did have one vivid dream about some sort of procedure on the pancreas and was intrigued to find a spread on islet cell transplant in the paper the next day. *shrug*

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

:D Some people disbelieve in being 'psychic' or having 'prophetic dreams' but my Dad had them all the time, my Mum sometimes and I seem to be following in their footsteps. Also, one of my sons I only have to think about, next thing the phone will ring and it's him. The other son was once ready to go off to some gig with his friends back when he was in his teens. He'd been really excited about it for days. Suddenly, an hour or so before they were all due to leave the house he became edgy and said he didn't feel like going. We were all amazed because it was his favourite band and he'd wanted to see them for ages. But I could see my son didn't want to go but he couldn't explain why. Eventually his mates went off without him and he stayed home but all the while feeling edgy and all he could describe was 'I don't feel good about tonight, I feel like something's going to happen.' Sure enough, a few yards from where all his mates were standing at the gig, a fight broke out and a young man was stabbed.

I've had similar experiences when I've been in the city, once got to the bottom of an escalator to an underground railway platform, without even knowing why I automatically turned and went straight up the other escalator and back out again. All I knew is I couldn't stay in there. I was a bit breathless with panic so stopped to get some air outside, next thing an ambulance was blaring towards the station. Someone had fallen onto the line.

Interesting what you said about the autistic spectrum, my view of autism is and always has been not ADHD as in Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder but ADHD as in Attention Dialed up to a Higher Dimension! :wink: