blood sugar levels

susanmanley

Over the last couple of weeks my sugar levels have been a bit up and down
The last 2 mornings I have taken my bloods about an hour after getting up and then had breaksat and then repeated 2 hours later
they have been higher before eating than after 2 hours

for example this morning I got up at 7.45 had a hot water, did house work.
I took a reading at 9.00 and it was 8.4 [old money I know :} ] and then I had a small bowl of porridge with a half teaspoon of honey [as I have run out of my usual handful of berries].
At 11.00 my sugars were 5.7

Is this OK ?

I have had a bit of a cold/hayfever and am rather tired

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
Are you using a fresh lancet each time?

susanmanley

no
I cannot afford to use too many as I have to buy my own stuff

Does that affect the results? If so why? would it help if I washed them?

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
Well... The instruction books that come with the monitors always say fresh lancet each time you test.

I used mine for a day through 6 readings and I was getting wildly differing readings and I couldn't figure out why.
So I use a fresh lancet now each time and the readings have stabilised.

I am sure someone else will come on and say id you should use a fresh one. I don't think washing it would work as it should be sterile.

I wondered this too as I didn't think I would be entitled to a script. The 10 strips and lancets that came with my Glucomen didn't last long as I was testing a lot in the early days so although I really couldn't afford it I bought 50 strips from E Bay for £17 with free postage and 100 lancets for £7.14 and £1.99 postage.

When I saw my DN I was very surprised and very happy that I got a script. So I have lots now.
But she said to test once a day. At different times so she can get a better picture.
But I shall always be testing first thing as I am in that routine and it's quite nice to see my readings coming down.
So I must be doing something right eh...

Wait until someone else comes on and gives you better advice. I have only been diagnosed for just over a fortnight !!

What type of meter you are using?

Then I will have a hunt for some affordable strips and lancets....

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
>> cold/hayfever and am rather tired
I suspect that's the cause.

Bit run down, get up, no food, do work: liver thinks - I better give some glucose to get things running.
Eat something: liver thinks - things are ok I can shut down now.

That's my take on why BG readings can be high in the morning and lower after eating. Don't know if it's realistic.

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
hello

That sounds as if it might be right.

Feeling poorly always gives me higher fasting levels - then doing activity and not eating before hand may cause the liver dump effect.

get well soon

CathyN

blothom

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness, ignorance, racism, intolerance and butter beans
my reading first thing in the morning is always higher than any other during the day! I was told not to worry about it, as my other readings were showing that I had stabilised well, and as I am still new to to insulin, (7 weeks now) we are still adjusting dosage. She said that it would be the liver reacting to no food since previous evening meal. Good luck with your annual test. :)