Ramipril

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just wondering if "Ramipril" has any odd side effects for Diabetes.

I take one Ramipril 5mg daily and no other medication. I just wondered if anyone has experienced any kind of side effect.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm only on 1.25mg/day so it's so small it can't have much effect. I found I had a slightly runny nose for a while but that seems to have faded and no other side effect

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I may possibly have noticed a side effect. Over the last couple of years my nurse has repeatedly told me to exercise and get fit. I have explained that something in the medication is preventing this. I exercise and I don't get fit. The more I exercise the more I seem to run out of an unknown resource and get tired instead.

This was the case before I started on the Glimipiride and there was a period when I didn't take the Metformin so there is a possibility that the Ramipril is the culprit.

I turned in a couple of good Hba1c results and at my last session with the nurse she said I could try it without the medication. I think she meant the Glimipiride but I like to experiment so I stopped all the pills and went diet only. The exercises are now producing results. I am much stronger and don't tire so easily.

No conclusive proof it was the Ramipril but I have my suspicions.

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on it for a good number of years, can't remember having any problems with it or it affecting my diabetes.

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
Good morning izzi, I've been on the same dosage that's been prescribed by your doctor for a number of years with no obvious side effects. Though in saying that I've been prescribed so much daily medication that it would be hard to pinpoint any effects caused by Ramipril alone. However, other than tiredness, I appear to be unaffected by them.

I'll be very interested to read further posts you may receive all the same.

Good luck.
willie.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
izzzi said:

I take one Ramipril 5mg daily and no other medication. I just wondered if anyone has experienced any kind of side effect.

Roy, I've been on Ramipril for several years now with no obvious side-effects, generally it's well tolerated but as with any medicine it will have side-effects in some people, the only way of knowing mate is to take it for a while and see how you get on.

Hilary52

I was on ramipril 5mg a day but had to change as it gave me a very irritating tickly cough which would keep me awake at night. Apparently 1 in 10 people suffer this side effect. The doc has changed me to another make and all is fine now

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Finzi

I am on ramipril 1.25 mg, was meant to be on more but couldn't tolerate it. I don't think this was related to diabetes because this was several years before I was diagnosed. When I tried to take a higher dose I got dizziness. Not lightheaded low blood pressure sort of dizziness, but vertigo type dizziness when I bent down or turned my head everything would spin round and I would feel very nauseous.

Don't think I have any side-effects now, but I am on a significant amount of medication, and the ramipril is the least of it really! So even if I did it would be hard to know.

A

Anonymous

izzzi said:

Hi, I've been on Ramipril for over 5 years. I did suffer from itchy throat (and may still do so but have got used to it). I think it's listed in the 'possible side-effects' but not sure. It doesn't seem to affect my diabetes as I have tested myself with and without.

Amlodipine is quite another matter. Had that for a short while, but never again!

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Everyone, :)

I have been on Ramipril prior to being diagnosed with diabetes, It doesn't seem to have any side effects and my control is very good.

I suppose I my thinking is, does Ramipril actually contribute towards my control one way or the other,also should I try to get the dose reduced to 2.5mg

Roy, :)

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Gezzathorpe

Could you please tell me what side effects you had with the Amlodipine. You did reply to my thread on whether or not Amlodipine raised blood sugar but unfortunately I am still on it and am struggling very much with my bgs. I am finding that my mouth is so dry that no amount of fluids makes any difference (am on loads of other pills too but it is since the Amlodipine since it has got worse). I have also been experiencing very low back pain - this is difficult for me to assess as I do have lower back problem but this seems different.

Thanks, Judith

A

Anonymous

Jude said:
Gezzathorpe

Could you please tell me what side effects you had with the Amlodipine. You did reply to my thread on whether or not Amlodipine raised blood sugar but unfortunately I am still on it and am struggling very much with my bgs. I am finding that my mouth is so dry that no amount of fluids makes any difference (am on loads of other pills too but it is since the Amlodipine since it has got worse). I have also been experiencing very low back pain - this is difficult for me to assess as I do have lower back problem but this seems different.

Thanks, Judith

It was a while ago, but I felt generally 'out of sorts', light-headed and 'wobbly' when moving my head around. It's the sort of feeling you get when you know you've taken something, if you know what I mean. I didn't see if it was affecting my bGs though, but my GP was pretty quick to take me off them. Fortunately, she knows I'm not a 'whinger' and believed me. Have you looked at the possible side effects ... here's a link .... it's is the biggest list I think I've ever seen, and it includes dry mouth. But don't scare yourself silly over the list ....
http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/p...?condition=Blood pressure&medicine=Amlodipine

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
izzzi said:
I suppose I my thinking is, does Ramipril actually contribute towards my control one way or the other,also should I try to get the dose reduced to 2.5mg

Assuming you mean bg control, I don't know the answer but I doubt it Roy.

If your bp is under control and you feel that you could reduce the dose down to 2.5mg then discuss it with your doctor, I don't see the point on being on a higher dose med if it isn't necessary, obviously careful monitoring after reducing the dose would be wise.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
noblehead said:
Assuming you mean bg control, I don't know the answer but I doubt it Roy.

If your bp is under control and you feel that you could reduce the dose down to 2.5mg then discuss it with your doctor, I don't see the point on being on a higher dose med if it isn't necessary, obviously careful monitoring after reducing the dose would be wise.
Yes my bp according to my GP is fine with ramipril 5mg.
I now think that with my odd diet over the last year may have reduced my bp.
My yearly test is now due,so I may request ramipril 2.5 and monitor accordingly.

Roy. :)