One for the ladies - missed periods

Elc1112

Hi all,

I have had type 1 diabetes for 22 years. My control was poor when I was a teenager but has been good since then (I am now 29). Blood pressure, cholesterol etc. are all normal.

Anyway, I have not had a period since December. I have taken several pregnancy tests so can definitely rule that out. I went to the doctors in April and was told that they wouldn't usually investigate until I had missed five periods. Ridiculous, if you ask me! As I had only missed four back then I was sent away. She did, however, mention that it was likely because of my diabetes.

Has anybody else heard or experienced anything like this? I'm struggling to understand how it could be diabetes-related given that my control is good. My BMI is 19 so within the normal range. My iron levels are on the low end of normal, but still within the normal range.

I'm due to go back to the doctors next week. I'm getting worried as to whether this could be a sign of fertility problems. I won't be fobbed off by the doctors this time. It's been six months now. I'd just be interested to hear if any of you have experienced anything like this or had any views on the situation.

Many thanks in advance,
Em

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LittleWolf

You could be a little underweight to ovulate properly for your particular body. My PCOS went undiagnosed whilst I was still anorexic as it was assumed to be a weight thing. PCOS would be anomalous for a T1 like you, but that being said it was anomalous for anyone our weight. It could be a whole bunch of things. Stress is a factor. Maye you could take an ovulation test to see if that's happening but your womb lining isn't building up properly? Are you on birth control? You're supposed to still bleed with most of them but some long term users find they dont in their pill free week anymore :/

Good luck x

Elc1112

Thanks for the reply. I've been the same weight for years. In fact, I've actually put on about half a stone since Christmas. I'd be surprised if it was the weight but could definitely be an option.

A few people have mentioned stress. The fact that my period doesn't come every month certainly adds to it! ;)

I'm not on any birth control. I came off that about four years ago. When I came off it I had continuous bleeding (light but still there) for close to five months. I was exhausted and fainting constantly. When the bleeding finally stopped I had three months without anything before my periods settled into a fairly regular routine.

Don't get me wrong, it's quite nice not having the dreaded time of the month but it does worry me that something isn't right. I was diagnosed with mild PCOS a few years back. I know that this can cause changes in cycle but it has never had much of an affect before.

Here's hoping the doctor has some answers!

Em

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Hi,

I've had this ongoing for about a year now. I took norethisterone 12 months ago to stop a period before a holiday and since then I've had no periods. I was investigated by an endocrinologist who deemed me fit and normal. He mentioned that my recent weight loss and combined stress may be a factor, but he referred me to a gynaecologist just to be sure, when I went to see her she popped me onto the pill where I had regular bleeds. I've since come off the pill so I'm just waiting to see if I have a period or not.

I've got a check up with the gynaecologist on Monday so we'll see what else she has to say.

With me I think it's the weight loss, I hope anyway.

Let us know how you get on at the doctors

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
I've never had a regular period, I think since starting 8 years ago (at the age of 16) I've had about 20 - 24.
I've had doctors check my hormone levels, check my ovaries, my womb. Everything, as they cannot find another explanation, my diabetes consultant has decided that it is because of my diabetes. I've had relatively poor control over my diabetes (15.5 years T1), my a1c has improved recently (to around 9%) however I still come under the 'poor control category'

My consultant is also not worried because for me it is a case of never being regular rather than being regular and then they stop.

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

LittleWolf

Um if you got diagnosed with 'mild PCOS' for sure and suddenly put in weight that's almost certainly the problem. Only like with diabetes you can't be sure if the PCOS/insulin resistance worsening made you put it on or you putting it on exacerbated the PCOS. How odd in a T1. I am exploring the possibility of being LADA myself and thought it just does not come with PCOS

Although I am saying this from the bathroom floor (my BC pill makes me vomit) it does help with the symptoms and it does help with the pain. It might be worth experimenting with a few brands over the next year. Get another scan and see what your ovaries look like at this point in time xx

Best of luck x

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
I did try BC pills, but I had to come off of them my body didn't agree with them and I felt miserable and ill on them. I've asked for more scans / tests, but my consultant says 'let's improve your diabetes first, then see...'

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

LittleWolf

I felt depressed or at times wildly emotional on them. I've had migraines, diarrhoea, dizziness and blackouts and like I said, spent all this morning throwing up because I got the timing wrong. But after 6 months or so that shouldn't happen as long as you take them on time with food. Persevere. It will calm things down and I HATE pills myself

I don't know how to treat other than taking BC or Metformin :/ Or finding some other way to lower the insulin resistance

Sorry I can't be of more help... Good luck

LittleWolf

Missing periods and then BAM massive bleeding, arrrrg..

5 weeks? I feel you. I bled for 12 weeks after having the copper IUD. Then it perforated me so I bled some more XD

BC pills that make me vomit and have migraines is still better than having my vajuji permanently out of order.

I didn't want implanon for the reason that it's be even more difficult to remove if I had problems. At least with pills you can stop ingesting hormones immediately. Though you'll probably have breakthrough bleeding forever....

No easy options really. Only other recommendation is exercise to reduce insulin resistance.

icylilies

Hello,

I have really irregular periods, before diagnosed they were very very regimented- i could even tell you what time! Sometimes it's a few months or two weeks.
My control is normally good and im in good health. My doctors tell me its to do with hormone regulate and how insulin interferes with it. Needless to say I'm very happy when it goes away for a few months! woohey!

Hope you are well

Phillippa

LittleWolf

I would make sure that what is going on isn't excess insulin production in the setting of insulin resistance making your ovaries produce androgens and that isn't the cause of your lack of periods. You may like missing them but make sure you don't have PCOS too because you might have issues conceiving and if you are T2 the last thing you want is increasing insulin resistance. Or weight gain. Or acne and a beard..

Elc1112

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay in responding. I saw my GP yesterday. He has referred me to the hospital for a once over.

My period actually turned up over the weekend. It lasted a while day and a half and was then gone again. Bizarre.

As I said in an earlier post, I do have mild PCOS. I have out on about six pounds since Christmas but the doctor didn't feel that this on its own should have made a huge difference. Nonetheless, I am getting my ovaries scanned to make sure.

I spoke to my doctor about insulin resistance. My insulin requirements are pretty low, largely because I don't eat many carbs. She suggested waiting until I had been to the hospital and then seeing where we are.

No periods for x months can definitely be a good thing, it just worries me that they have suddenly gone from being regular to being a bit haphazard. What's definitely not fun are the x week long bleeds that come every now and again! The GP was reluctant to talk about trying a new BC until I had my results back from the hospital.

Anyway, at least things are moving in the right direction. I will hopefully get an appointment at the hospital soon and we can go from there.

Thanks again for all your replies and support :)

Em x

Yvonne8

Hi to the op. I've had similar problems to yourself and eventually was diagnosed with uterine fibroids after a visit to the hospital. Was told that they were minute but started on the mirena coil (the one with the hormones) and its been bliss so far!

missy789

Hello, missed periods is nothing to do with Diabetes, stress at no periods is probably the problem! You woryy, naturally, that something is wrong or you're pregnant and so the stress builds up and you miss more! I had exactly the same a few years ago, I missed about 4 months in total, with no weight loss or gain and then all of a sudden they started again. I went to have a thingy for cervical cancer soon after it happened and asked the Sister there what it could be. She said that occasionally the diabetes can interfere with the nerve signals in the brain that makes us ovulate or the chemical we release in the womb doesnt happen and the period is missed. It's a hiccup that can last only a month or a lot longer. I hope that helps a little x

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi have you been tested for cysts on your ovaries? this can cause missed periods.

I wish I could miss periods mine are so heavy since having my kids and sometimes I only go 21 days been them.

its best to have every avenue checked the worst thing is the not knowing his stresses you out more which obviously causes your periods to stop.

good luck

tracey167

Elc1112

Hi Tracey,

I have mild PCOS so they are going to check my ovaries to make sure that things haven't gotten worse since my last scan. My last scan wasn't that long ago but better to get things checked!

My periods have always been very light (definitely a good thing). Recently, however, they have become much lighter and seem to turn up whenever they want. It's great in a way to not have anything for months on end. On the other hand, you never know when the blasted thing is going to make its arrival! When it does arrive it might last one day or it might last several weeks. Drives me mad!

I've just had a phone call to confirm my appointment with the hospital for next week. Glad I don't have to wait too long!

Elc1112

It's on the low end of normal but still within the normal range. At least they were at my last blood test two months ago. They are going to check them again when I go to the hospital next week though :)

LittleWolf

Definitely keep an eye on it. You can bleed without ovulating (as you would on the pill breaks) and it was common for me to have a mini period rather than spot just a little between actual periods.

Wishing you all the best. PCOS is difficult with or without diabetes. Praying for the health of all your organs down there xxxxx If you need someone to talk to inbox me