Term time holiday ???

daveroughley

Hi all, our 3 yr old D is type 1. We've always had problems with bg levels simply because of her eating habits. Next yr we really need a good relaxing holiday ( don't we all ). Normally I drive approx 1200 mile in summer touring for our hols. Next yr we looking at a fortnight abroad. The prob is heat and t1. With unstable levels I really don't want to take her mid summer.

Now for the MAIN prob. If we go away in May it would mean taking our 13 yr old D out of school during term.

Has anyone done this ??? Can the school refuse ???

We really could do with advice.
Thanks
Dave & Lynns

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
daveroughley said:
Now for the MAIN prob. If we go away in May it would mean taking our 13 yr old D out of school during term.

Has anyone done this ??? Can the school refuse ???

We used to do it every year with my son but with the school's permission. At 13 years old, there shouldn't be a problem as it's still a long way from exam time.

Mind you, I have had hotter weather in May than in August.

Have you thought of getting a 14 day family InterRail pass? Or cheap flight to Bergamo in Italy and then using their very cheap and excellent rail network. Or the cheap regional passes such as the Bavarian day pass, 25 euro for the first person and then 1 euro per person thereafter, unlimited travel for one day. All the surrounding states have them too so you can hop from one place to another like you do in a car. Air conditioned high speed trains are quite normal in Europe.

daveroughley

To be quite honest. For our first family holiday abroad we were looking at a simple package holiday. Plus, the appeal of non driving and little travel when actually there is very appealing.
We're looking at alcudia in Mallorca for a few reasons.
1, it's a good family resort.
2, it's fairly cool with shallow sea.
3, I used to live there, and spk a little Spanish. So if anything did happen I know my way around, hospital, doctor, pharmacia etc.

More for peace of mind really
Thanks.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Tracyplum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Heads will look at attendance too. At the school I work at no authorised absences are permitted if it is below 95%, don't book anything just ask the school for their procedure and fill in the forms for leave before you book. Regular term time holidays will go against any decision and as mentioned fines are going to be a regular thing.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Alcudia is the worst place I've been unfortunate enough to have visited, I'm afraid. Horrid little place.

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy

The fact that you are even asking this question of people here when it has nothing whatsoever to do with your daughter's condition indicates to me that you have an instinct that it is not the right thing to do. Your older child has one chance at their education and your decision will have an effect on the future of only one person in your family.

As a parent and school governor there is only one response that is suitable and I think you already know what that is.

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

hornplayer

Hmm. Speaking as a peripatetic teacher, I can say that the last week of term is often full of trips and activity days, - " don't come in, there'll be no one here for you to teach". - my timetable is all over the place from this week onwards, - concerts, working around trips etc. First week of term on September, most schools don't want me in because they are sorting things out and getting organised. - the rest of the year, there are always times when they don't want me around for various reasons. I suggest you talk to your school. Most heads are realistic and reasonable. - course, some aren't......:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I am taking my daughter out of school, in the last week of term, nd have arranged a study package that will greatly outshine the work done in the peak of term time, far less the "no man's land" at end of term as reported by Hornplayer.
This program has been fully approved by her school.
BTW my wife is both a parent & a governor.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Neil Walters said:
As a parent and school governor there is only one response that is suitable and I think you already know what that is.

You are wrong to write that there is 'only one response'. There are many. 'Only one response' is not a view shared by many schools or many teachers who are happy to give their consent. As a qualified teacher, the brother of a teacher and the son of two teachers and with a sister in law who is also a teacher, we have a good idea of the curriculum for year 9 pupils, what will be missed at various points in the academic year and what can be gained by the right sort of holiday. You appear to dismiss these opportunites through a combination of paucity of imagination and a rigid adherance to dogma. It has been my good fortune to have always had the opportunity to deal with more enlightened head teachers. Back in my schooldays, there used to be a well known saying, 'travel broadens the mind'.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
phoenix said:
Nowadays, It will depend totally upon the decision of the head of your 13 year olds school.
If they don't authorise the absence then you can now be fined but you can get permission for 'exceptional circumstances '
http://www.education.gov.uk/popularquestions/a005551/can-i-take-my-child-on-holiday-in-term-time?
some local authorities and schools have a very rigid policy (my grandchildren's head won't give any authorisation and they are at primary level)

When I was a schoolkid, I was envious of those kids whose parents were either in engineering or textiles. Those mills shut down for 2 weeks in the Textile and Engineering Fortnight. Often, this was around the two weeks before the school hols and all those kids got eight weeks off in total. Some kids could wing it by claiming they were going with their grandparents or some uncle or aunt.

Parents don't have to send their kids to school at all. Parents can teach their kids out of school. The law only states that the child requires a 'full time education' and it doesn't even need to follow the National Curriculum. If a parent want to take the child out of school on a permanent or temporary basis, they can. The school cannot stop them. Unless it is a special needs school, the parents need not even inform the local authority. However, a school is not required to teach a kid on a temporary basis so, if the parent informs the school that the child is being removed temporarily, the school is not obliged to take them back.

https://www.gov.uk/home-education