Breakfast and Snack suggestions?

Madam_teacup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is a question that has probably been asked a million times. I'm type 1, I was diagnosed about seven years ago (dates and numbers aren't my strong point) anyway. I've made sporadic attempts at eating regularly and healthy but for some reason or other I've never stuck to it. Part of the reason I give up the ghost is trying to find things to eat that aren't going to rocket my blood sugars and that I'd be happy to eat as part of a regular food plan.

So I'm wondering if any one of you lovely people have suggestions for breakfasts, cooked or cereals etc and snacks. I'm a student so having snacks I can carry around with me (and eat during lectures) would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help!

By the way, hello :wave: I look forward to posting lots and lots sorry in advanced for any rambling -_-!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If not trying to loose weight have anything you like at breakfast. Simply use the correct amount of insulin and ensure your basal is correct. This will prevent the highs. If trying to loose weight have smaller portions and less insulin

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Obviously reduce your carb intake to keep weight and blood sugar down (needing less insulin of course). Do try to avoid snacks as this is where the excess carbs tend to creep in. Have small portions of no-sugar added cereals for breakfast such as muesli, porridge and egg and bacon is great is you have the time. Avoid toast if you can but if you do, have multigrain bread and one slice. If you do have snacks then nuts are great, fruit such as apples, blueberries etc

Madam_teacup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Daibell, I don't want to cut anything such as Carbs, although some people cut them out to lose weight and maintain good blood sugars, its not something that I'll take out.

Thanks for the tips anyway :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, as a T1 and as long as your weight is OK, then carb reduction is much less important so ignore what I said unless your weight starts creeping up.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I find my Quiche..ish is easy to carry around. For us cereals are definitely OUT
Hana

Madam_teacup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Hanadr, I thought that about cereals and was hoping to be wrong. I really do enjoy a bowl of cereal, aww well :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The two breakfast cereals that produce good postprandial bg readings for me are porridge and All Bran (not all brands). Try traditional porridge and add some natural yogurt, seeds and blueberries to give you a nutritious and filling breakfast, alternatively eggs are good so you could have boiled eggs and toast or poached eggs on toast, for the toast buy a seeded loaf such as Burgen Soya & Linseeds which is lower in the glycemic index than most other shop bought breads.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I enjoy a bowl of cornflakes for breakfast, sometimes supper. I understand we are all different but do seem to be a no no for many. I must be one of the lucky ones. Covered with the right amount of insulin and correct weighing of cereal, and measurement of milk no high :)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
I enjoy 2 or 3 fried eggs and tomato. Protein rich nil carb. Not everyone's madam teacup, but I like it. I also like a sausage and egg mcmuffin, but only on occasion, as the white bread isn't good for you.

candiloo

Don't have cereals as they will make you hungry within an hour or two and will put your blood sugar up and are wasted calories. Have boiled eggs and soldiers or porridge which is a slow release carb and you shouldn't need snacks and your levels will stay constant. Keep the carbs down as they put on weight, put up levels and make you hungry. Two poiled eggs and two slices Danish bread is 15g carbs and for me requires 3 units of insulin. two eggs and a slice or two of grilled bacon and two slices of Danish toast - still 15g carbs. I bowl cornflakes, 45g at least and hungry within two hours, and for me, my level will go up, the once I start housework, it will hypo within an hour. I would also need around 10 units with the milk and sugar and need a snack.

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For snacks I've just discovered spring onions.

Other than that packs of sliced ham/beef/turkey/chicken. Roll a slice or two up around some lettuce and it's a good snack.

alyssarose

I have had diabetes for a shorter time than you, but I like belvita breakfast biscuits, as they come in different flavours. there is a milk and cereal flavour, forest fruit flavours and things like that. And they are really portable :)

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
cant beat a good bowl of porridge for breakfast, I add shredded coconut, sunflower or pumpkin seeds and a handful of dried fruit.

I can see if I can find some low carb protein bar receipes to post here.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Boiled eggs with lots of salt

JussyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My dietician gave me a list of snacks that generally don't have to be matched with insulin. I guess DUK should be credited with this. I've become quite partial to Bombay Mix these days :mrgreen:

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 648

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Eggs eggs eggs tomato and eggs. Whizzzzzz!!! Add as much chili as you dare, avoid the bread, add more eggs. Have beans on occasion. Ps: what the chuff is a poiled egg?

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
I hate Bombay stinking mix. Stale leftovers found down the back of the settee and packaged.