Is marijuana good for diabetes?

LittleWolf

I don't think all pills are bogus. I accept there are times where such substances are absolutely necessary. I know cannabis won't treat my endometriosis, only lessen the pain at best, no matter how sick my pills make me. :/

The drugs are produced to treat disease but I feel profit margins have become increasing more important to the manufacturers. I understand it does come across as crazy conspiracy theory but only now have people realised those high up I the banking industry never had the common peoples best interests at heart, people are only just paying attention to the dangers I statins (however much they might help some), fluoride as aforementioned. The drugs listed in their comparison to cannabis and those recalled by the FDA are also heavily pushed and consistent money makers. Pharma might help us out here and there but they are still a business like any other (that often sponsors large companies and work hard to protect their media image) and profit is very high on their agenda. It is a massive money making industry that feeds off our illness .

Please read for someone who knows more about the industry than I do

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/bad-pharma-a-manifesto-to-fix-the-pharmaceutical-industry/

Question: Why has cannabis been long suppressed as an option for alternative treatment for a number of ailments until recently when pharmaceutical and cigarette companies have applied for patents on actual cannabis and cannabis based products?

Answer: Because they want the monopoly- the control and the money

The sad thing is even the best intentioned people, when it all comes down to it.., they are swayed by gross potential to gain. We have the mentality that they /must/ only release drugs proven to be safe, effective and non addictive. If it is legal it is safe/good/ok

Not necessarily so

Interestingly I saw a documentary recently about the rise in these new 'legal highs' being made in laboratories that emulate cannabis but are in fact FAR more dangerous. I've seen many I then sold and they are too readily available to impressionable teenagers. The teen being followed on the documentary was asked if he'd ever smoke cannabis, and the child replied never because he wouldn't break the law and he'd heard bad things about it.
When asked about the substances described below

http://www.livescience.com/18646-synthetic-marijuana-dangerous-health.html

(there have been many fatalities directly from its use as opposed to cannabis which is virtually impossible to overdose on and has no deaths ascribed directly to it)

Whilst in the process of casually purchasing them, the cameraman asked if he thought there was any risk involved with taking the legal drug as opposed to cannabis to which he replies that if there was anything wrong with it it wouldnt be legal and they wouldn't sell it everywhere.

Simply not the case, and it's all very sad and nonsensical. When drugs with very dangerous and immediate adverse effects are well known the public and manufacturers, but they are distributed anyway and something with far greater reward:risk ratio like cannabis is under lock and key. Unless you are paying a pharmaceutical company for it that is.

Hmm :/

If it were all about us wanting a license for getting high, then over the counter heroin and other approved 'goodies' would be more than enough. We are not even advocating the legality of heroin despite the routine opiate use in medicine even though they are incredibly addictive and downright dangerous. Can't tell you how many emergency room visits were down to prescription drugs

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LittleWolf

Lol Mr Happy, two doctors at the hospital a nurse and one of the porters share my views on cannabis and I met them all on one visit to the hospital (had a godawful reactive hypo) One of them used it to mange chronic pain themselves.

Personally im trying to cut down smoking and eat more of it instead. I only smoke once a day on average, but all damage limitation helps. Hey, until I started smoking pot I was smoking 20 cigarettes a day. Now it seems pointless whether or not I've had a joint.

kleef74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just watched breaking the taboo video if ex president clinton ex president jimmy carter cesar gaviria ex president of columbia and our own sir richard branson are asking for a change to the WAR on drugs then surely the guy who drives a train or bus and a family man should atleast listen to these guys, how many years has this WAR been lost how much £ has been lost but to me more important how many life's has been lost ? Im not saying do the portugal thing but stop this WAR its not helping and goverments arent doing there main job protecting its people.

LittleWolf

I've also seen Breaking the Taboo also. Whilst I advocate the use the cannabis for all responsible adults and under the circumstances of medicinal use, I don't support the legality of other drugs.

However I do like Portugal's model of treating hard drug addiction as an healthcare issue and offering counselling to get to the root of the problem rather than throwing people in jail for minor offences like possession who are going to come out and go straight back into the cycle.

Unlike cannabis that has legitimate therapeutic use and is pretty **** mild. Eg you just can't have a crackhead for instance that functions in society... There is no safe way of using a drug like that. No benefits.

I know a lot of professional chefs etc that work under the influence of speed to keep themselves showing but they are seriously warped personality wise and often easily agitated/aggressive...

I'm on the fence about use of MDMA strictly under medical supervision for those with repressed memories and post traumatic stress disorder. But err... Really people hooked on hard stuff who are having to steal and cheat to feed their habit or slowly rotting away like Meth users... They need help.

However people with clear intent to distribute dangerous substances, those dealers/ smugglers who clearly do not give a flying **** whose lives they wreck... Lock em up.

The drug war as it is is fighting a losing battle but the push to legalise cannabis is more about allowing access to a very very helpful plant in every facet you can think of and boosting the economy.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
When my BF and I went to Lisbon about 8 years ago we were pounced on by some drug pushers in the centre of town. We were obviously tourists.

"Ganga? You want Ganga". At first we ignored then but what they were smoking smelt so nice. He gave us a toke of what I assumed was some sort of black resin.

My BF asked the price and he almost fell over when the guy said what he wanted. It was SO cheap. So he bought an ounce. (Which is quite a lot) We hadn't smoked for a few days and really wanted a puff.

The he gave us another toke on a grass dooby and that too tasted very nice. Not up to my BFs standards but he wasn't being too fussy for once.

So he bought an ounce of that too.

Back in our hotel room we excitedly put one together and the resin was fake God knows what is was. Camel poo probably. But it just wouldn't work as resin should. So he slung it in the hotel bin in disgust.

With a heavy heart we tried to do the same with the grass and that too was fake.
Obviously they were smoking real pot,and happily let you have a toke. But you didn't get what he was smoking.

We were VERY cheesed off that we had been taken in.

Later that afternoon we went back to the square where the little s**t was still dealing. And we watched as many young folk (who were also dealers) pounced on tourists... Sold them some fake puff and there was a group of them. Obviously selling the same c*****y fake resin and grass.

I have heard of cannabis being laced with ground glass. To put the weight up. I am not used to this and it p****s me off to think there are folk out there who will tamper with pot to make money.

If ever I grew again I wouldn't tell one person. Not one.

And one of my favourite films is Scarface with Al Pacino.

LittleWolf

Another reason I'd like either permits to grow a certain quantity at home, a dispensary system with trained staff for the medical patients and licensed coffeeshops for the recreational users. We need to take the production and sale of cannabis out of the hands of unscrupulous street dealers who may push harder drugs on people as well. My dealer is an anomaly for being so trustworthy and even advising when to save my money for the time being if he things a strain that will be more beneficial to me will come along later. Thats very unusual.

I would still personally never ever buy hash as you do not know where it came from, what is in it and what labor was involved in it's production (afghan children?) Try to avoid slang so the other users understand what is being said and for formality x

Sorry you got ripped off, Zola :(

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Sorry...

Dooby = Joint = Cannabis stick which you smoke. Sometimes with tobacco,sometimes without. Resin (solid) can be burnt and sprinkled. Think OXO cube. Grass (hemp) is either smoked neat or with tobacco.

Toke = When you take a draw on a cannabis cigarette.

That OK ??

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Amsterdam coffee shops are not all they seem either.

If it was legalised in this country I would expect the grass to be top notch and different strains for different wants/conditions.

I would expect there to be fudge and 'Spacecakes' as they are fondly known.

I would expect my grass not to have been 'scuffed'.
Remember the machines I saw in Earls Court? They are used to tumble the grass so the trichomes ( The bit that gets you stoned) stick to the sides. They were being sold in Earls Court for a reason.
It's so that unscrupulous dealers sell the 'scuff' for a ridiculous price ( I think in Amsterdam it's known as 'Ice')
The scuffed cannabis is then sold in the coffee shops.
I doubt if the coffee shop owners even know their grass is scuffed. It still smells nice and gets you stoned. Just not as much.

As soon as I found out about the scuffing I lost interest in Amsterdam....

Cannibis is big business. And most folk wouldn't know a decent joint anyway....

Grow your own and ditch the dealer.

And end up in court.

What a shame.....

LittleWolf

Cannabis sativa and indica are the ones with higher levels of cannabinoids and larger buds and considered the 'drug'. These traits have been achieved through selective breeding. Sativas are more popular recreationally and produce a cerebral high through the cannabinoid THC but it can induce anxiety in some. Contrastingly, Indicas are higher in CBD and so are more used for therapeutic effect as they are often analgesic, have a proven anti-psychotic and anti-spasmodic action and generally produce relaxed body effects.

Hemp is the larger, pretty non-psychoactive form grown industrially for its fibers. The seeds can also be eaten supplementally in a similar way to flaxseeds.

Cannabis ruderalis is a wild hemp plant. It is often crossed with Sativa or Indica to improve their hardiness.

That's pretty bad practise, zola :( I guess I got lucky then

Ditch the dealers we shall one day. There are cannabis clubs in places like Barcelona that seem less profit driven than coffee shops. There are also caregiver schemes where a grower will give a medical patient a certain amount of free cannabis out of pure compassion. That's lovely.

kleef74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It will never happen in this country the age of our politicians for a start even my nanna calls them stick in the muds, i think somebody has already mentioned money people would stop smoking cigs as the weed comes down in price people would make full weed joints no cigs required and imo beer sales would drop as more people decide beer not for them to expensive, then to top it off the goverment will find that 1 doctor/scientist thats says cannabis is bad for humans. Imo if you wanna grow/smoke and generaly be a free person to choice what drug you want to take MOVE abroad.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That is exactly why my BF moved to Portugal.

He now lives on a farm in the middle of nowhere and grows his plants hidden in the garden in the sunshine.

And as someone said earlier the laws are different in Portugal and if caught he wouldn't risk a prison sentence....

Although the locals got wind of it and one night he was 'raided' by 3 kids with their faces hidden and shotguns.

They stole 3 kilos of very fine cannabis and when it hit the streets he knew it was his. No one grew as well as he did. But what could he do? He couldn't exactly go to the police and say "I know who stole my cannabis."

He has now moved to a completely different area as he was 'raided' 3 times in all.

This happened in a very remote area in Northern Portugal where electricity and teeth are only for those with the money and are considered a luxury....

LittleWolf

Whats creep is Marlboro have a patent on cannabis cigarettes. They are waiting so even if it does get legalised they can still leech off of the manufactured cigarette-smoking market. True, I think a lot if people would choose a joint over a few beers and that's not what the breweries want. It's all about money, not what is best for people.

I thought the licensing of cannabis based drugs was a step: it is an admission of cannabis having legitimate medical use but like I said, the side effects of those drugs are likely going to discredit it

I found it interesting that on a few BBC websites and documentaries they are also acknowledging that cannabis can be medically beneficial as well as highlighting what can happen when one overindulges and becomes psychologically addicted. Question Time the other night seemed in favor of drug policy reform

These videos highlights the plight of compassionate groups like THC4MS (as aforementioned by zolabud) and elderly women who find relief of their symptoms from cannabis but meet a lot of adversity in their patient-to-patient network. It is not a multimillion pound drug ring it is simply offering compassionate relief not for profit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXR7dp_AGgU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Views of Medical Professionals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8MV_EMUrfg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

They seem to share my view that the non psychoactive parts of the plant (developed through human selective breeding) can also be added to the diet for their health benefits.

He has limited time so is speaking quite fast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvzX8aNwxgM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

There are many more testimonies from the patients themselves with different chronic illnesses in YouTube. They are quite touching..

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If you cut and paste the links above into your address bar nothing comes up.

If you cut and paste and leave out the 'video' and the squared brackets at the beginning and the end of each link and the put it into your address bar it works.

Thanks for the links Littlewolf. Very interesting.

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
Unkind people, bad odor, diabetes mellitus (hehe), injecting insulin, douche bags
Wow so many new comments I'm going to read. Thanks y'all. I haven't been able to visit this site because I was in the hospital for 5 days. I apparently had very low blood sugar which made me unconscious and unresponsive for hours. Good thing my boyfriend and sister were able to rush me to the hospital. I was also diagnosed with hyperthyroidism while I was in the hospital. Because of this, I'm very intolerant to heat now (which is unfortunate because I live in the tropics where the temperature could get as high as 40 degrees). Anyway, because of this, I vomit almost everyday. And I tried using marijuana hoping it would alleviate the nausea and vomiting, and... It did! :)

duranie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter!
Marihuana is excellent for neuropathic pain or increasing appetite in cases of gastroparesis, but not sure about 'good for duabetes'

MarKaos

Please research Pheonix tears. Cannabis has an overwhelming ammount of applications, but you can't apply a patent on a plant.