Me vs GP

LittleWolf

Thanks a bunch janeecee. Feel like you're my sister going through this. Thanks a lot for the support in getting this nipped in the bud and acquiring medical support in this journey. Whilst i hope you don't progress in the disease and need it as such i hope someone will be willing to check you out and support you too

Also I hope that people being persistent will help raise awareness amongst GPs detecting diabetes in a) early stages, not already showing signs of complications or in DKA for undiagnosed T1s b) less obvious cases. Why ignore a patient based on their weight and activity when there are clear symptoms, numbers and a genetic component.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you get this sorted soon. At the moment I've got to fall back on my own resources and get the diet working for me. I intend to try again, but if I get the same response from another GP then I'll just need to be my own doctor and eat to the meter until I know what's OK for me to eat and what should be avoided. My priority is to normalise my numbers, and let's face it, even if I had a GTT and the result was within the 7.8–11.0 range, I'd only be told to do what I'm doing now i.e. get the numbers down and come back in a year's time for another fasting test. It's not that hard to make a case to have another fasting test every year anyway. I only have to say that I have had a high random fingerstick test at the pharmacy and they'd be stupid to ignore me. It's too soon after my last blood test for them to agree to another one at the moment. I'll keep that one for later.

LittleWolf

I'm ringing the hotline again tomorrow am

I don't know why the actual figure is not on record it just said 'normal'. Some consider over 6% totally normal. I'm not so sure about the discrepancy between a hypothetical figure under 6% being truly normal and today's readings.

Weetabix and a banana with soy milk

35 minutes (I felt a bit funny): 16.6

1h: 13.2

90 minutes: 7.8

2hours: 8.2

3hours :8.3

4 hours: 7.6

Next fasting is Tuesday, when I will email the doctor again :/

I think it's separate people that handle blood tests etc as the receptionists seem to have no control over patient records. I was told on the phone my university needed my medical information for needs assessment for Disabled Student's Allowance but they are requesting £40 to release this information to the university?? Ugh

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking at the printout of my results from my NHS Healthcheck, it says:

Plasma Glucose Level
Glucose Reference Ranges
Normal: 3.00 – 6.00 mmol/L (Fasting/Random)
Impaired Fasting Glycaemia: 6.1 – 6.9 (Fasting)
Diabetes: >6.9 (Fasting) >11.0 (Random)
NB: If random glucose between 6.1 and 11.0 – repeat fasting

Diagnosis of diabetes/impaired fasting Glycaemia should not be made on a single sample.
In pregnancy: a glucose tolerance test is recommended if random glucose >6.7

----------------

HbA1c level
Target values for diabetes: 6.5 – 7.5% 48 to 58 mmol/mol Hb
Beware of hypoglycaemia: <6% <42 mmol/mol Hb

----------------

Hope this helps

Biker Jimbo

I don't want to appear patronising but I know exactly what you mean. What I did was confront my receptionist regarding my results when she would not give them to me over the phone. I visited the surgery and was told the numbers don't mean anything to her. I kept my cool and replied, ' No but they mean everything to me'. It worked and the numbers were given. This has resulted in a much better understanding with all parties at my surgery. I may have been lucky but I now feel I have control over them which is how it should be. My new practice nurse has been brilliant so far. If the problem had persisted then I would have gone to the PCT, who don't exist now. You should consider contacting your Healthwatch or Clinical commissioning Group (CCG) if you receive no response or at least threaten it but in a nice way. It is not right that we have to fight for good treatment but sometimes we must to achieve better health care. I really wish you well and let me know if I can help in future should you need it.