High in school

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi ,I'm just wondering if anyone has the same problem my 9year old daughter is always high at school but hypos lots at weekend even though we carb count everything ,I can't understand it

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sunday

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Shell 1,
maybe your daughter moves a lot at the weekend and at school she sits most of the time.
My daughter had the same problem two or three years ago. My daughter has got an insuline pump from medtronic. There you can choose between different profiles, so her doctor made her one for the week and one profile for the weekend.
If you are using injections maybe you can give her different basic injections?
Vera

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Vera will ask nurse about the different injections,how do you find the pump my daughter has been talking about it but nervous of it being on her tummy ,does it give better control ?at weekends she never stops so maybe this helps keep her sugar down ?

sunday

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
My daughter was afraid of having something in her tummy,too before she had the pump. Another girl showed her pump to her and explained how it works. Then she tried it and she wouldn´t never give it back. It is easier with the pump but you have to be more exactly.
Vera

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Does she manage to do it herself like entering the carbs she eats?were going to go on the waiting list it's meant to take around 6/12 months and they said if it doesn't suit her she can change back
Shell

Cornishpiskie

Hi
My son is almost 9 and we have at times had to have a different set of carb ratios for weekends and weekdays, as a lot of it is down to activity levels, these days its settles down so that the same set of ratios work for both.
We do get some days where the results seem completely random though and I think that's just part and parcel of them growing so quickly at this age unfortunately! :)

sunday

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, she manages everything on her own. There´s a calculator you can use. So you only have to supply(?) the carbs and the bloodglucose level and the pump calculates the insulin. That´s a lot easier than the pen.
Vera

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Wow it does sound amazing I have looked on YouTube for videos of the omnipod the nurse bringing some on Tuesday for us to look at she is getting excited about it now but there is a waiting list

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi cornishpiskie,
I think will we have to do the same it's crazy how different they can be at school to home ! And can I ask how long your son has been diagnosed and how he is dealing with it,my little girl seems to have really changed angry and cheeky all the time

Cornishpiskie

My son was diagnosed a couple of weeks after his 5th birthday and he's been amazing in the last 4 years he's been doing his own finger pricks since age 6, and now does his own injections, he never argues about finger pricks or injections which has been a major help.
He does however have a major attitude problem at times lol but I put that down more to the age than anything! He has his bad days very occasionally where he wishes he wasn't diabetic and his hypos hit him a lot harder lately although that's actually good in most ways as he feels them coming on when he's still in the 4's its just a shame it takes him longer to feel better after now.
My main problem with him is he gets separation anxiety as he feels safest with me so we do get tears at school occasionally but I'm hoping he grows out if it! :)))