Novotel echo

Swankypants77

Hi. I talked to my nurse today, and asked for Novopen echo because it comes with 0.5 increments and was recommended by fellow forum users.
My nurse was really helpful and will send a fax to my GP dispensary tomorrow.

The only thing I forgot to ask my nurse about is this. Does the insulin in those cartridges come in the same strength and the same type of insulin as those in the prefilled novorapid flex pen?
I'm now sort of used to fine tune my insulin amount with those novorapid flex pen, so I'm a bit nervous about changing it, if there is any difference...

Thank you very much.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Glen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, DIY, winter,
Just got a couple of Novopen Echos myself. They take the same 3ml cartridge that all my other Novopens use.

Glen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, DIY, winter,
Think nearly all insulin is the same strength 100U/ml you can check on the side of the vial or cartridge.

MrsBRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just got a couple of them too after being told I can't have an Omnipod. One for novorapid & one for my lantus. Great as I do forget if I've injected & sometimes doubled up. .......... KITKAT !!! Good excuse for one. Just remember to ask for the cartridges with your script. I just got the pens, got home then had to call the doc for another script for insulin

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
andywright said:
Can get in red and blue so you don't mix insulins too! :D

Silver and blue in my case, and different colours on the cartridges as well, but I still double check. The engineer in me.

Swankypants77

Thank you, everyone for your replies.

I have red and blue Novopen Echo now and have been using them. So nice to be able to give myself .5 amount of insulin.

I have another question here. I have this mild sickness bug( my daughters brought it back home from school!), and not been able to eat that much since last night.

I injected 0.5 novorapid for one rich tea biscuit earlier. I'm wondering if even small amount like 0.5 has proper effect on 5g carb? My ratio is 1 unit:10g carb.

It's a silly question perhaps, but it crossed my mind...

Thanks in advance.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't inject for anything under 10g carb, my background insulin covers that.

So 1 Jaffa cake = 8.9g carb no jab
Small handful nuts = 6-7g carb no jab
Rich tea = 5g no jab

Or my favourite baked cheddar biscuits = 1.9g carb so I can have 2 or 3 if I want with no jab :)

I'm on 0.5u per 10g now, but I was on 1:1 before honeymoon started and I did the same then.

If you jab every time you eat you end up stacking. That's why I keep any snacks to below 10g, usually 7 or lower

Swankypants77

Thanks, Hale.
You don't inject if less than10g
, even though your blood sugar level is nearly 7?

I sometimes snack on those cheese biscuits of which carb is around 2.
I have a couple of those when I start feeling peckish which means my sugar level is usually around 4.5.
I don't inject under these circumstance.

This morning, I wasn't feeling that well, but felt like I needed to eat something. So instead of usual breakfast, I had one richtea biscuit. My level was 6.8 before biscuit.
I suppose I didn't need to inject, did I...

I know what you mean by stacking. I have to be careful, haven't I. Lots to learn.

Thanks, Hale again. You always give me good advice.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No my BG isn't usually 7, generally between 5 and 6 mmol/l. I meant I try to keep snacks below 7g carb!

But yes, with BG is the 6s I wouldn't have bothered with a jab for 5g carb. But then everyone's body reacts differently and so I know I can get away with it, others may not