will lunch affect cholesterol test?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, i am having a cholesterol test at the chemist at 4:30 this afternoon (cant wait a month) to find out if me stopping the statins 2 months ago has put it up and i am about to eat chicken satay skewers and a small salad for lunch do you think this would do any harm to my hopeful low reading? or dosent it work like that?

Thanks in advance if you reply :)

Andy

L

Luna21

Hi.

I was always told to fast for 10-12 hours before a cholesterol test. Perhaps you ought to cancel and take the test another day when you have fasted?

Good luck.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
oops i ate lol, i rang them and they said its fine so we will see i guess, thanks very much

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I booked an appointment for the morning so that I could fast.
They said that it was better if I didn't eat breakfast but didn't specifically say that I should fast or that it was required. Doesn't metion it on the web site
Not sure how good these tests are anyway but should give an idea of what is happening.

It should include a discussion about what you should do so let us know what info you get from the test and what sort of advice (hopefully it's more than a standard leaflet).

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just called another branch of Lloyds pharmacy to see if I could get an earlier test. I told them I had been diagnosed with diabetes and it was diet controlled - no medication. They said that, from their guidelines, they cannot give the test to anyone diagnosed with diabetes.

It's probably best to not mention it and lie on the form when they ask you to fill it in if you want the test.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
okaaaaay im very very happy............

went to the test

didnt fast

5 months ago at my last test at diagnosis i was total chol 6.7

today after not fasting and stuffing my face with as much fat as possible (low carbing)

and 2 months after stopping the statins without telling the doc

im off to skip round the garden naked........

ok neighbours are a little upset, i told the nice lady i had diabetes and gave her a run down of what id done although her eyes nearly popped out of her head when i told her about the statins and the high fat diet, you fill out a form she took my bp my bg and after milking my figer like a cows udder sucked up some blood in this thin tube, 5 minutes max later a print out pops out, she said just keep doing what your doing hehe i paid the £15 and skipped back to the car (clothed this time) so all in all a good little trip

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations.
What was the ratio and triglycerides if they gave that info.

I'm sure doctors have their uses but......

This site should have a diary forum where members can post their experiences, methods and how they progress.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
There is no need to fast for a total cholesterol test, you would have to fast only for a lipid panel (Fasting Lipids) or a fasting glucose which is not usually required now.

L

Luna21

Glad the test went well.

Did you get a breakdown of the individual components, ie LDL and HDL?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Thanks :) They said only the gp can do the other tests, they just gave me the hdl ratio :( but I'm just happy that went down, I'll have to wait until July for full screen

Edit....all I got was...
CRA Score Low Risk %
Total Cholesterol 4.76 mmol/l
Good Cholesterol. 1.03 mmol/l
Total Cholesterol 4.6

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Kat100 said:
It's always been a fasting blood test

not once you've been diagnosed as Diabetic.

They don't like you fasting for it then although they make no allowances for this when they lecture you on the results :(

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Paul_c said:
Kat100 said:
It's always been a fasting blood test

not once you've been diagnosed as Diabetic.

They don't like you fasting for it then although they make no allowances for this when they lecture you on the results :(

True,especially when they start turning into the statin police instead of a GP

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just back from Lloyds Pharmacist. Lied about the diabetes just in case.

Tests 25th Apr - today (change over 2 months and a bit)
total 5.2 - 4.33
HDL 1.06 - 1.22
Ratio 4.9 - 3.5
Blood pressure 130/74 - 135/82

Gives a 11% cardiovascular disease risk assessment (risk of developing over next 10 years) and suggests I might benefit from an over the counter statin, plant stanols or sterols - presumably bought from them.

Anyway - all good apart from the blood pressure which I suspect is just due to walking straight in off the street rather than sitting around in the surgery.
Total cholesterol and ratio is now within the normal range I think and will hopefully keep getting better.
Don't know how accurate this was but happy to go with it as I mainly wanted to check that my change in lifestyle was having a beneficial rather than adverse effect.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I always thought the 12 hour fast before my MOT blood test was for a diabetic blood test result ??

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Andy12345 said:
Thanks :) They said only the gp can do the other tests, they just gave me the hdl ratio :(
The testsdone are:
1) Total cholesterol.
2) HDL
3) Triglycerides
the LDL is estimated from statistical measurements :thumbdown:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
zolabud said:
I always thought the 12 hour fast before my MOT blood test was for a diabetic blood test result ??

The fast before your bloods are taken is to check your cholesterol levels, if you were just getting the Hba1c test then you don't have to fast.