Flying to U.S.A.... Help Please :D

AimeeAphid

Hi All,
I'm flying to the U.S at end of July for two weeks. Currently on Metformin 500mg X2 twice a day. My question is do I need a doctors letter to take my medication on the Plane and should I be self testing while I'm away??

Thanks

Aimee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would always support self testing wherever you go but I have no idea if there is any kind of a restriction on Metformin. You are going to have to phone someone before you run up against a customs person.

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Depends on how long you are going for and therefore how many drugs you are taking. I have mine in a seven day pill box and have never been questioned ever

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's been a while since I last went, but I had no troubles. However check out the US embassy website. that should tell you all you need to know.
Hana

Disneyfan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to the USA at Easter for the first time since diagnosis. I'm no longer taking metformin so can't help you with that, but I did take my test kit and kept testing. I'm glad I did, I don't know where you're going but we went to Orlando, I was walking a LOT more than I do at home at work, and I'm discovering the heat also can lower my blood sugar a bit. It meant I was able to enjoy my holiday without worrying too much as every time I tested I was fine :) (even though bread pudding and ice cream found its way into my diet on my birthday!)

BobCornelius

Metformin should be fine, test kit is more likely to be an issue as sharps! Check with your DSN, the may have a ready prepared letter for airline staff! I'm flying to NYC in Oct, and have a prepared letter from diabetic unit stating what I need to carry and why!

:)

Bob

steveamos1234

You won't have any issues with the test kit. I would get a letter just in case though.

I travel to the US on average five times a year and have done so for the last 15 years. I've only been stopped once and that was just after the restriction on liquids was brought in and I was carrying insulin. They were happy with the doctors letter, but didn't questions the test kit.

sammo68

Hi there. This was a question I asked myself before I departed on the 3 week holiday to Utah I'm just about to return from. All the websites advocate a GP's letter. Mine charged me £15 for the pleasure as it's "not medical" (confused by that statement as they put me on the drugs I'm on - not me!). But there you go. I have yet to be asked about it but better to be safe than sorry - especially as I am now a once-a-day insulin injection man. Definite sharps issue there!! If you can, take a sharps bin with you to keep in your hold luggage - alternatively you might find that at local police stations to you they have sharps collection points (mainly for drug users but ask and they could probably oblige). Also, if there are more than just you travelling ask someone else to carry spares of your required medication. I spoke with my local, VERY helpful pharmacist, two weeks before leaving and they arranged my GP to sanction an extra supply of required meds (i.e. I had double supply). I realie not all pharmasists / GPs will be as helpful, but if you don't ask you don't get.

As to self-testing I've continued with it and, like a previous postee, have been pleasantly surprised by the results - again heat has probably played a factor in this. Up over 100 deg F, so not exactly up for a banquet - just more sensible eating, drinking plenty of water etc. I have also been very surprised by the volume of "diabetic" products (food and otherwise) available over here. So long as you are careful and check the packets you should be okay.

If you are self-catering I can heartily recommend the following:
http://www.quakeroats.com/products/hot- ... sugar.aspx

Don't be put off by the names of the product - check the boxes and compare (especially the carbs). Yes there was a small spike in my testing but nothing more than normal (i.e. 0.4 - 0.6 increase). Don't be fooled into the "reduced sugar" version. They have more in them than the Weight control ones I've tagged above. Unfortunately Quaker don't sell these in the UK nor do they currently plan to (hmm - Twitter / Facebook campaign opportunity?) - they confirmed this in an e-mail to me this morning.

End of the day, relax, continue as normal and make sure your paperwork is organised. Then enjoy!!!