Shirataki Rice

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hello, has anyone tried the Shirataki Rice, on sale at Amazon. Any information as to what they taste like please?

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've not, but if you order them let me know what it's like. Good find!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Shirataki is konnyaku made into noodles. It's 97% water and 3% glucomannan, plus some traces of protein, starch and minerals like calcium. It's made from the konjac plant, also known as the Devil's Tongue plant.

Konnyaku comes in white or grey and in blocks or powdered form.
konnyaku3.jpg

Glucomannan is a polysaccharide and considered to be a dietary fibre. I think it is a beta carbohydrate, a cellulose and therefore not digestible. It is used as an emulsifier and thickener in the food industry and is known by its E Number, E425 and is sold as Konjac Gum. It's a little like using gelatin to make jelly out of water.

It is considered by some to be therapeutic for type 2 diabetes. From the wiki entry on glucomannan:

"Glucomannan may be useful as a therapeutic adjunct for type 2 diabetes. It has been shown to improve the lipid profile and alleviate the fasting blood glucose levels of type 2 diabetics. Glucomannan also helps to increase insulin sensitivity and improves glycemia and risk factor for coronary heart disease"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucomannan

Please note, the same can be said about sardines.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi, I have got some of the Zero noodles which I am going to try this weekend with a low carb chilli and may buy some of the Zero Rice next week from H&B. Although it is quite expensive, it will be eaten only as a treat. I will let people know how they go and if anyone is interested they seem a little cheaper to buy from Amazon, Deb

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi SamJB and Thommothebear, I got a packet of Zero noodles and a packet of Slim Rice from H&B. Noodles 1.5g carbs/100g, fat 0 and rice 0 carbs, fat 0.2g/100g. I used the noodles in a stir fry and they came out well. The noodles themselves, being a plant, are taste free and need to absorb other flavours so I soaked them in 20mls soy sauce for a few hours to absorb the flavour and puff up a little and I thought they were lovely. I will definately buy them again. I will probably try the rice at weekend, so will let you know. By the way H&B have a buy 1 get 1 half price at the moment so if you were thinking of trying them then perhaps now is the time, Deb

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Forgot to write, when you take the noodles out of the packet they will smell a little fishy. Rinse them well and then dry fry them for a couple of minutes to get rid of the excess water, then mix with whatever sauce you want

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's great that H&B sell it, I've got one around the corner from me. I'll pop in over the weekend. Thanks!

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I like zero noodles and its great in thai soups or stir fries. ive never had low carb rice but from what ive seen in h&b its the same thing as noodles just in shape of rice. Maybe im wrong here but it looks very similar

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
SamJB said:
It's great that H&B sell it, I've got one around the corner from me. I'll pop in over the weekend. Thanks!

I take advantage of bulk discounts and free postage when ordering online from them. They do the occasional 3 for 2 offer and I keep my eye on the newsletter they send me every now and then.

It has a long shelf life, so bulk buying makes sense if you can afford it.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
SamJB, if you are interested in trying them I have been told that they are cheaper on Amazon, if you want to have a look, Deb

minitata

They don't really taste of anything. You can heat them in the microwave, but it doesn't get rid of the excess water in them and I found it a bit off-putting. Dry fried they are fine. They need a good, tasty sauce with them.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well as promised I tried the Slim Rice last night with a curry. First of all it seems that this "rice" is just the noodles cut up into rice thickness. I rinsed well then dry fried to remove excess moisture and mixed with the curry sauce. They then tasted fine but as they are around £2.89 for 200g from H&B I might just stay with the noodles which are a little cheaper Slim Rice nutritional values per 100g; cals 7.7, carbs and protein 0, fat 0.2g, Deb

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I bought some on the weekend. Yet to try the rice, but had the noodles with spag bol last night. Was soo nice to be able to have spag bol again! As everyone has said, pretty tasteless, but I'll definitely be buying them again.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Can't seem to get the zero-noodles in my local Holland and barrett anymore but to be honest I only had them occasionally as they really need to be part of quite a spicy stir fry as they're virtually tasteless IMO

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
yes I agree SamJB, they are expensive for what they are really but I have missed them and as you say they really do open another world of spag bol, stir fry's etc. Going to get a "job lot" from Amazon, Deb x

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tip about Amazon. I bought 2 packet in the Buy one get one 1/2 price in H&B last week but haven't tried them yet. The H&B offer ends today Tuesday!!