Animas Vibe, Medtronic or Accuchek Combo?

charliebos

Hi they do sometimes start people on saline just so they can get used to wearing it all the time and can have a play around with the settings without doing any harm. I am due to start my pump tomorrow but going straight onto insulin. I am very excited :D

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SpikyMike

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My pump training (Accu-Chek Combo) went well today, and I'm now hooked up to the pump - until the weekend - with saline, to get used to it, and explore the menus etc.

Will start pumping with insulin next Monday (17th June). :O)

Type 1 since 1969.

Ladybirdy75

Wow, i was given no choice at all (medtronic paradigm veo) but did do the saline trial with the clinics trial pump before hooking up for real. 3 years on....... still a battle :-/

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was given a choice, asked for the one that would do the smallest basal rate, so, combo one for me. Also the bluetooth between the monitor and pump, amazing. Massive improvements all round. My latest 7 day averages are showing in range 82% of the time. The rest r only up or down by 1~2mmol. This is with a good range of tests so quite an accurate guide. Happy pumping :)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

SpikyMike

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Kangoo, just really getting used to having a pump attached 24/7, but fine so far. Not had a chance to go through the menus yet, but seems pretty comprehensive. At I'm an IT guy, the pump was set for advanced menus. I disconnected the pump today as I'd had the cannula in for three days, and didnt want to use up another one for just a few days.

Ladybirdy75, yes it's a pity some NHS trusts don't offer a choice, and you're left with the post code lottery again, as with many NHS services.

Brett, glad to hear you're doing welll on the pump. I can only hope that after the initial teething period, that my control can approach yours. I've got pretty good control at the moment on MDI, so it'll be interesting to see how things develop.

Type 1 since 1969.

SpikyMike

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm live! Have to check back with the DSN after lunch, and it's early days yet, but I'm finally pumping! *big grin on face*

Type 1 since 1969.

SpikyMike

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apart from a low of 4.1 around 2am, my levels were all in the 6.x range during the night, rising to 7.7 at breakfast. Need to collect more data, but overall, my basel rate setting is looking not bad.

Today will be a bit more interesting, as am totally on the humalog insulin from the pump, with no background Lantus left in my system.

It's strange, but really satisfying, not having to inject anymore. :O)

Type 1 since 1969.

SpikyMike

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I changed my cannula and tubing for the first time today, and seemed to go fine.

I've emailed Accu-Chek, and they're sending out the 360 Management Software (free), so I can analyse the data I've been collecting so far (2 hourly testing for last three nights).
Test results have been mostly good, with the odd high/low, although i don't have enough data to spot any patterns yet.

It's still really strange not having to give Lantus in the evening, and being able to bolus without injecting. It's liberating!

Type 1 since 1969.

kangoo

Have to say I am looking forward to ditching those basal injections. There's no way to take 50 units without leaving a painful bulge.

Where are you wearing the pump? On a belt or in pockets?

SpikyMike

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've got the pump attached to my belt with a belt clip that I got from the rep, and will have a look at other ways to wear my pump.

Had to do a cannula change (2nd one) and first cartridge change this morning. Ended up putting the cannula in lower than I should have, as it's right on the belt line, and rep told me not to put it there.

The cartridge change didn't go to plan either, but got it eventually. It's not until you do these things yourself, that it sticks in your memory. So will see how my readings are today, and will change the cannula if it causes problems.

Will have to go through the pump manual as well, which I've been putting off until now.

The pump doesn't seem to display how many units of insulin it thinks is still in the cartridge. The only way I've seen this info is if I stop the pump, and press the button again, and it then brings up a quick info screen showing the insulin units remaining. Hopefully there will be something in the manual, as I've not been able to see anything in the menus. I know you can look at the cartridge itself, but it'd be nice to be able to check from the handset.

Type 1 since 1969.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mike - with the combo to see whats left press top menu button once then press lower "tick" button once. No need to turn pump off.

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
Hopefulky thatll be me soon too i would go for the medtronic im not bothered about waterproof or the remote i want the cellnovo tho still waiting for a release date on that one tho

SpikyMike

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Chas, that's just the info I need.

Got the Accu-Chek 360 Diabetes Management software earlier this week, so will hopefully be able to gain some insight into my pump and meter readings. It really is a comprehensive piece of software. I'm running it on a virtual PC on my iMac, as it isn't MAC compatible.

Type 1 since 1969.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

I have the Combo pump and although I can deliver the bolus and adjust the basal settings from using the handset which is lovely especially when outside, it's not everything...
.... The bolus wizard has also got its problems as it doesnt allow for any meal bolus to still be partly active if eating food before the acting time of the bolus has elapsed. Other pumps will allow for this and will display insulin on board and allow for this in the calculation.
The Insulin On Board (IOB) feature that the Animas Vibe and others have, is a real bonus. For me this one of those "how did I ever live without this?" features.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
SpikeyMike, why do you say an Omnipod isn't a choice? Most clinics offer patient choice and although the staff may not currently be trained up on it, if you ask for it and even contact the supplier Ypsomed yourself for info and make the appropriate case then you could get hold of it. Ypsomed would probably send you a sample pod to try. There are only a smallish number of users in the UK and because of the slightly increased cost, the PCT's don't love it. I do however as it fits in with my life style and doesn't shout pumpwearer . It's worth making a small fuss for!

My clinic (Guy's and St Thomas's) didn't offer me the Omnipod either, just the three mentioned in the original post. That's in January 2014. Shame as I was looking for something discreet.

Hermione

I have been on a Medtronic pump for 8 years now, but am considering moving over to the Accu-chek combo shortly, as I'm due 'an upgrade'. I've loved being on a pump and my HbA1C has improved a lot as a result - plus I've been able to lead a more active and healthy lifestyle as a result.

For the upgrade, my clinic (Chelsea & Westminster) offered me a choice of five - accu-chek combo, animas vibe, medtronic, omnipod and Dana Diabecare (apparently they have no patients on that one!). I chose the Omnipod but my PCT came back today to say that they won't fund it - it's a lot more expensive.

So I now am torn between staying with what I know - the Medtronic - or moving to the Accu-chek. My reasons for wanting to make the move are twofold:

1. the remote. When wearing a dress I keep my pump in my knickers and this gets a bit embarrassing when I eat and have to give insulin... you can only be so subtle about pressing buttons in your crotch. Yes, the medtronic has a remote, but it has no screen so it's hard to be sure if it's worked.

2. waterproofing. The medtronic is only splash-proof, which I learned the hard way last night: I got caught out in monsoon-type rain on a run last night and got drenched, and it killed my pump. Disaster. The Accu-chek is waterproof to 2.5m, apparently. Amazing.

The main drawback to the Accu-chek is that it looks really un-user friendly. How easy is it to navigate and use? (I should add that website usability is a large part of my job, so I'm going to be picky!)

And its ugly. I know that seems really superficial, but when you have to wear this thing all day every day, it matters. I don't understand why these manufacturers don't spend a little more time and money on design...

Appreciate any thoughts,

Thanks

Hermione

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The full function remote has got to be the Accuchek's best feature. As a Vibe user, it's what I envy most.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The full function remote has got to be the Accuchek's best feature. As a Vibe user, it's what I envy most.
Lol I don't as so many pumpers complain it doesn't work and needs replacing.

Reactions: 2 people