Magnesium supplements

Finzi

I read in a thread recently that I can't find now that someone was taking magnesium supplements and it had effective lowered their blood sugar. Does anyone know the recommended dose to take for this purpose? I've bought some magnesium supplements from asda and they say one tablet supplies 80% RDA. So I don't know whether one is enough or if I should take two (but I don't want to overdose!)

astralworld

Re: Magnesium supplements

It would be almost impossible to overdose with magnesium. It has been proven that the majority of people in the western world are seriously magnesium deficient due to lack of magnesium and other natural nutrients in the soil compared to 100 years ago.This is partly the reason for the increase in diagnosis of Diabetes nowadays. The other point I would make is that magnesium tablets are virtually useless as the bio availabilty is so low ... most of the magnesium in tablets is lost once it the gut. In order to top up magnesium levels it is far more benieficial to use Transdermal Magnesium Oil which is sprayed onto the skin each day. There is a wealth of information on the net about transdermal magnesium and the many benefits of its use( it bypasses the gut, so the magnesium goes directly into the cellular system). Hope this helps.

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Finzi said:
I read in a thread recently that I can't find now that someone was taking magnesium supplements and it had effective lowered their blood sugar. Does anyone know the recommended dose to take for this purpose? I've bought some magnesium supplements from asda and they say one tablet supplies 80% RDA. So I don't know whether one is enough or if I should take two (but I don't want to overdose!)

Hi Finzi . . .

Perhaps it was my Post that you read? If so . . .

I can tell you that I take 2x250mg magnesium tablets each day, along with another multi-purpose tablet that also contains magnesium. Total of 750mg magnesium per day. (I am 66kg guy). As astralworld said, magnesium in many tablets is not well-absorbed by the body so I guess results can be variable depending on what your body does with it. My tablets are very cheap, they contain magnesium carbonate, in theory not very well-absorbed by the body. Nevertheless it's had a very real effect on lowering my blood-sugars. My tablets are soluble and I take them in a pint of water. Maybe that, or something else in my diet, helps the absorption.

I'm not an expert, but from what I have read and learned about magnesium, there is no danger of taking too much; the body regulates the levels very well by itself. I have read that high doses may have a laxative effect . . . I have noticed that I have become 'more regular' on my 750mg :shh:

Best wishes :)
diamondnostril

Finzi

Thank you! Yes, it was your post. My tablets are very cheap ones too, just ASDA generic but they aren't soluble ones so I hope they work. They are 200mg, so I think I'm going to take two a day to start. Fingers crossed!

priyankakedia

Hey guys, are you all taking this supplements on doc's prescription or on your own...?
Can I also take the same....? What results have you seen...?