Zinc supplements for diabetics

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have heard that people who suffer from auto-immune conditions are often severely deficient in zinc. Does anyone know anything about this? It's not something that has ever been mentioned by consultants etc. I am interested in doing the zinc taste test to check for deficiency, but am not sure how accurate it is. Are there any dangers for diabetics, as I'm aware zinc alters your response to insulin.

Thanks,

Lucie

hallii

When I first read your post Lucie I was a bit sceptical, but I have done a bit of online "research" and it seems that zinc is important and may well be deficient in T2 diabetes. It also plays a part in many other conditions to numerous to mention here, so yes it is an important mineral.

The taste test is interesting, it works by seeing how much taste you have and the dose of zinc is worked out from that.
My approach will be to take a zinc citrate supplement for about 3 months and see how it goes.

If you are deficient in zinc it can cause BGs to rise, so I reckon if I take it and my BGs drop then I must be deficient.

Zinc citrate is easily absobed and you should have sufficient copper from foods such as Liver, Nuts, Sunflower seeds, Sesame seeds, Cocoa and Chocolate (yippee! now I have an excuse!), shellfish and so on. Zinc can deplete copper.

I am going to buy 360 @ £8.45 from Healthspan, I use them for Chromium and Vit B complex.

It's worth a try!

H

Reactions: bkr

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for this. I have started taking a daily supplement of 10mg zinc, with vitamin C (as your body cannot absorb Vit C without zinc). One of the reasons I've decided to start this is because my immune system doesn't appear to exist at the moment, and I've been rubbish at fighting off even common colds for the last couple of years. I'm not going to take any chances with any higher a dose as you can easily take too much and this also has side effects.

I'll definitely be researching this a bit more though as I've read that zinc can also help to lower cholesterol, and as mine has risen in the last year quite considerably I'm interested in reducing it again, with the help of a healthier diet too. As diabetics have a higher risk of heart disease etc I'll be doing all I can to lower my risk.

I'd be interested to hear about the apparent effects on your bg later down the line!

Many thanks,

Lucie

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
My surgeon prescribed me Solvazinc. You have twice a day and either in plain water or squash. Ain't so bad with the squash.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Zinc makes no difference to my insulin control and generally feel healthier since taking by the way.

Mart.

priyankakedia

Thanks for your reply Mart.
I am from India, people abroad are mainly suffering from Type-1 diabetes. What does your doctor say the reason behind this disease and is there any hope of possible recovery...?
Do Type-1's usually suffer from weight gain too...?

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
I've experienced weight loss if anything and I'm type one.

The reason behind type 1 diabetes is that it is inherent in your body and can develop and can manifest itself into fully blown diabetes. To my knowledge there is no cure, only good blood glucose management through correct insulin application and a decent and balanced diet and hope for a scientic breakthrough.

Hope this helps.

NB: this is a brief overview as my daughter has got to go to her high school prom in a minute.

For more information, see this website under the T1 information page (not the chat page the main diabetes.co.uk page), or have look on google or wikipedia for information on Type One Diabetes.

The internet has a lot of ****, but can be extremely useful. Have a look at trusted medically approved information.

Mart.

Jessicasugar24

Dislikes
Needles!
Hi I researched also a little time ago about this and I know take a supplement of zinc as I always used to be so easy to pick up any bug or cold going!!

I have now had my zinc supplements for close to 2 months and I haven't had a thing (fingers crossed)

Thanks
Jessica

priyankakedia

Can you please share the name of the supplements that I can take in this regard?
I have also researched lil time ago that taking magnesium supplements would be of a great help but my doctor doesn't agree to it.
May I know what tablets I can take and in what quantities...?

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your replies everyone! Since I started taking zinc & vit C I've gone from having one cold after another with hardly a break inbetween, to having one cold in all this time (and that only lasted 2 or 3 days rather than the 8-10 days previously). I've felt so much better in myself as well. It may be a coincidence but my cholesterol dropped from 6.4 to 4.8 in 12 months (although I have also altered my diet slightly to include oily nuts and blueberries which are cholesterol-eaters!)

I didn't take the taste test in the end as it proved impossible to get hold of it so I took a chance with Boots own make. The dose is really high at over 1000% per day but it really has made a difference. I have been taking the tablets that you drop into water to make a fizzy squash type drink - also great for hydration first thing in the morning (if you're like me who usually waits until mid-morning to have coffee!!)

One of my better decisions!

Lucie

Reactions: bkr

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
I have vitamin b strong compound and the solvazinc.
I've been in better health for taking them in general.
Before this I felt very tired and had little energy and struggled to get home on the train and bus without falling asleep after work.

Mart.