Diet and Excersize

m1k3y1985

Hello All,

I would like some advise, Just a little background first. I am 28 I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes 2 Years ago when I was 26 after some issue and a week in Hospital with severe Keytone Acidosis but after some time on Insulin and diet changes I got off injections and onto Oral medication. I firstly had Metformin but this did a real number on my stomach so I am not on a slightly different set of tablets I am on gliclazide and glucophage.

No my diet was good for the first 6 - 9 months after being diagnosed but I did slip back into food of convenience especially whilst dealing with another medical issue in which saw my HBA1C get a lot worse and they were going to review my meds but I asked them to take another test as for the month or so previous I had been making major changes to get back on track and this was good enough from that result to stay where I have been.

Over the last 10 years my weight has vairied greatly from when being fit and active to completly no excersize. I have gone from 15 Stone / 210lbs / 95kg at a good fitness level to my worst 21.5 Stone / 301lbs / 136.5kg. I am currently 19 Stone / 266lbs / 120.5kgs and I have been back at the gym now for 2 months I have been averaging about 3-4 visits a week and doing around 60 - 90 mins Cardio work whilts there.

My weight has remained roughly the same give or take 1 lbs since I have started and I have been really good on food and my regime so this at the moment has been a little dishartening. I currently do 60mins on the Cross Trainer averaging a HR of between 155 - 160 and usually get around 800 Cals burned and a Cycle for 20 mins and burn between 100 - 200 Cals depending on the cycle. I usually follow this by a Steam and Swim to warm down.

Other than the non existant weight loss I have been finding thet I tend to get a hypo about 10 mins before the end of my workout I have Glucose tablets which I take and they get me to the end of that last 10 mins and then I always Hypo or nto go back to my locker and eat a couple of Oat Cakes.

Does anyone else have an issue with hypos before you finish? How did you work this out? My diet is pretty good currently and pretty constant, Below is an example of my daily intake:

Breakfast

1 Bowl of Oatabix Bites (Roughly about 160 Cals)

Mid Morning:

Portion of Grapes (Around 50 Cals)

Lunch: Noodles (380 Cals)
Apple (Around 50 Cals)

Mid Afternoon : Orange (Around 100 Cals)

I then goto the GYM around 4pm which is about 1 hour after havign my Orange (Consumed about 740 Cals at this point)

Dinner:

Varys, Usually White Meat sometimes a small potato portion or pasta and veg so this can vary I try and keep it around 1000cals.

(I have tried to add in a few Oat Cakes with my Orange but this did not make any change),

So if anyone could suggest some sensible stuff about my diet / excersize that would be apreciated. I have been talking with my friend who helped setup my excersize routine and he has offered some advice as a semi pro rower to avoid things (Most stuff I knew but also stuff like protein shakes etc as the body does not actually know how to process it).

DO I just need to keep doing what I am doing or somethign a little different? I just hope to see some weight loss soon and I have had a noted improvement in bloods the last 8 week whilst doing this.

Thanks for any Advice.

Mike.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
all of your meals are loaded with carbs...

When I was diagnosed a year ago, I followed the dietary advice I was given by my diabetic nurse and found it wasn't helping in that even following their diet and exercising, I was still putting on weight. It was finding this forum that turned me around when I discovered the joys of reducing my carb intake and upping my fat intake. On the LCHF diet, I quickly started losing weight and this also made exercising more enjoyable (didn't feel like a wobbling whale anymore when walking fast, can't run as my knees are stuffed). I don't suffer from rapidly falling blood sugars anymore (what you probably considered to be a "hypo") when exercising

I was 17st 4lb when diagnosed a year ago, gained 8 more pounds while following their diet and have now gotten down to 13st 10lbs this week... still got another 19lbs to go before I'm officially back in the normal BMI band.

PS. the Book "Escape The Diet Trap" by Dr. John Briffa helped me enormously... it's a diet, that isn't a diet and is very easy to follow and works with the side effect of sorting out my blood sugar levels as well.

m1k3y1985

Thanks I will take a complete read, Just had a quick look at work but is almost the Anit Diet of quite a bit of my stuff and I am keen to shift the weight!

nishakaur

Healthy diet and daily exercise play important role in our daily routine. Usually people especially working women don't have time for exercise.The result is a lot of health issues. Research says women have to face more health problems rather than men.There is one option for all women that can utilized and make them more fresh in daily life.That is MEDITATION. Because exercise can make them tired and meditation can make them relaxed.

Anguse

HI Mike,
Diet and exercise both plays important role in improving and maintaining healthy body weight so watch what you eat and stick with your workouts. Take low carb diet meals and drink more water than routine to boost your metabolism and maintain healthy body weight.