Is marijuana good for diabetes?

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's supposed to help by increasing blood flow or something, sire I've read something somewhere.

pickledpepper2

Am feeling lazy (for which sorry).

Could some kind person(s) summarise the general findings of the thread thus far?

Is Mary J good for diabetes or not?

thebassist84

Well from what I can see the majority of people who do it say it helps and have produced evidence/testimonies and the majority of people who don't do it say it doesn't and seem intent on stereotyping! Take from that what you will!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
Salihu said:
oakdaledave said:
Hmmmm not sure about that. Think you may end up with another problem! :( :(

Marijuana contains nicotine/caffeine which is dangerous to diabetes patient

Really ??

Can you provide some links maybe ??

First I have heard of that....

NorthCountryMaid

Salihu said:
Marijuana contains nicotine/caffeine which is dangerous to diabetes patient
I haven't heard that Marijuana itself contains either nicotine or caffeine, though clearly when it is smoked mixed with tobacco, there will be nicotine present.

As for caffeine, the effects of marijuana do not seem to be consistent with high caffeine doses. Even if it did, are you saying that tea and coffee (along with diet coke) are also on the list of foods which diabetics should avoid as dangerous?

CantThinkOfAUsername

I've not gone through the whole thread but the most important question must be, "Is it available on prescription? lol" jk

Note: I have never used drugs and don't intend starting.

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Alcohol is a drug, so is nicotine, and also caffeine. (Though of course, these are LEGAL drugs.)

There are very few people who have never used any drug.

However it is quite common for people to say "I have never used drugs".

There is nothing instrinsically wrong with taking drugs.

If she likes to take tea, or to drink the occasional glass of sherry, then it follows quite straightforwardly that the Queen likes to take drugs.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
michaeldavid said:
Alcohol is a drug, so is nicotine, and also caffeine. (Though of course, these are LEGAL drugs.)

There are very few people who have never used any drug.

However it is quite common for people to say "I have never used drugs".

There is nothing instrinsically wrong with taking drugs.

If she likes to take tea, or to drink the occasional glass of sherry, then it follows quite straightforwardly that the Queen likes to take drugs.

If we're taking that route ... then life itself is a drug ... anything can be a drug if we habitually take it, follow it, even the TV can be a drug, music can be a drug ... anything that we want more and more of because it makes us feel good for a while ... can be a drug.

Life is nothing more than a habit. We sleep, we wake, we eat, we defecate, we work, we play, we sleep and we go round and round in the same circle until we get too tired to continue. For some people caffeine becomes a big part of that circle, for others it's cannabis, for others it may be sugar or cycling or the gym or the TV or ALL of those things. Life is so bloody boring and repetitive that it's human nature to look for something to make it just that bit more interesting and pleasant. :roll:

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Actually I was talking about literal drugs, rather than mere figurative drugs.

The point I was making is that there is, I believe, a profound problem of communication that underlies this thread's question. And one way of addressing this problem of communication is, quite simply, by highlighting it.

So if I see someone write "I have never used drugs", then I point out that they are either (very likely) plain wrong (since caffeine, for example, is a drug), or (perhaps entirely unwittingly) they really meant to speak of ILLEGAL drugs.

I believe the problem of communication that commonly surrounds the word 'drug' is not entirely unrelated to the anxiousness that most insulin-using diabetics feel about using syringes rather than pen-injectors.

For when most people see an apparrently non-medical individual using a syringe in a non-medical environment, they may very well immediately tend to suspect that illegal drugs are being injected.

The words 'drug' and 'syringe' are not far off being effective taboo words.

Accordingly, 'marijuana' is not far off being a taboo word.

LittleWolf

For those who want a summary (I am not pulling out the references because I have supplied many in the last few pages)

Cannabis has an analgesic effect (painkiller), anti inflammatory effect, it is a vasodilator (dilates blood vessels to lessen the effect of neuropathy, also treats glaucoma), it apparently also lowers blood sugar.

For those who do NOT have diabetes (this does not mean to say that anyone who smokes weed will never get diabetes, be serious) cannabis users are often slimmer and have lessened insulin resistance. Cannabis users according to May 2013 had 17% lower fasting insulin levels and 16% lower fasting glucose levels (off the top of my head...)

The plant is a dry useful dietary supplement. (please google the health benefits of eating hemp or cannabis)

Diabetes sufferers may already be using a cocktail of drugs with harmful side effects to treat the other conditions that often come with diabetes. To reiterate, the statistics show cannabis is by far safer than 17 FDA-approved drugs that treat everything from muscle spasms/tremors to depression.

I am pleased others have taken interest in this thread, however I implore you to read it from a good few pages back because I have tried to coherently assemble information, links to scientific studies as well as sharing my own story. At the risk of repeating myself please do Have A Read and draw your own conclusion, to whom asked whether or not cannabis is good for diabetes: no one even drew conclusions on whether or not statins are ok, Metformin is any use or even whether their type of insulin is any good compared to another type because of the unanimous vote of users in one thread or one person giving their say so

People are still warring over the efficacy and safety of Lo Carbing for instance.

You may draw you own conclusions but the overwhelming amount of evidence says YES it is good for diabetes (and just about everything else)

My personal opinion is YES it is good, because I was in a very dark place before I started smoking and since I have been getting my life back on track after years of eating disorders, depression, suicide attempts/self harm and still being in an abusive situation. I honestly wouldn't be holding it together like I am now if it weren't for cannabis. I'd probably be on a methadone program to wean me off opioid painkillers, a drunk or goodness knows what else.

But I am not a doctor so I cannot officially tell you YES.

However I know a lot of doctors (I even posted links to them confessing this) who also believe that YES cannabis is actually beneficial for many ailments and general health as a preventative measure in its many applications.

If anyone has any other questions I am pretty sure I have covered EVERYTHING in a reply from the ethics of the drug's production and supply, alternate methods of ingestion, health risks vs benefits, the bogus 'gateway drug' theory, the economy, social/cultural attitudes to drugs, comparisons to pharmaceuticals and legal drugs. (the synthetic cannabis can be fatal and cannabis based legal pharmaceuticals are not as effective as cannabis and have undesirable side effects) etc etc etc

Instead of talking in circles, let's have a read and consider :3

pickledpepper2

Okay Littlewolf

I'm tempted, I know when I was first diagnosed I had a few spliffs and these didn't do my levels any harm (may have kept them low on reflection).

But having given up smoking for a few years now, I wouldn't smoke it if I got hold of some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfNK4kIL_w4

Okay, I need an ounce to help with this diabetes ****!

MrRyanJames

alex_dgarcia said:
I read so many articles saying that marijuana can actually improve the health of diabetics. Is this for real?

In no way marijuana is good for diabetes.
Even the consultant would say that anything that isn't natural that gives a little buzz would be good for a diabetic being.
It's like when you drink alcohol, the buzz stops the feeling of a high or low blood sugar.
Now i have been a diabetic for 18 years and on the alcohol side, i tend to know when my blood sugars are high or low.
But when i have previously smoked marijuana ketones have an effect on the body as an ab-reverse effect. dehydration can have a cause to ketones, the munchies can raise blood sugars, and also your HBA1C levels will be high after a few awesome sessions :thumbup:
So in some cases marijuana is bad for a diabetic being but its is optional depending on how many units you take of insulin..

This question is pretty good, not many people would ask such a thing, but curiosity strikes eh :D

LittleWolf

All one has to do is stay hydrated (none of us drink enough, really) and not pig out on high carb things. A little self control is not difficult. I'd also make a habit of testing regularly whether you feel hi or low of not. Lots of us experience hypo and hyperglycaemia unawareness sober. I'll still say its a safer bet than alcohol for relaxing on a Saturday night with even discounting the tangible health benefits.

Chris_tim

@MrRyanJames

Different strains of weed have different effects, some for example induce the munchies while others can make you paranoid (usually solid/resin) and the better strains leave you in a mild euphoric state. The latter are the obvious choice, from personal experience I find the Sativa strains smoked in moderation leave you feeling pretty good without inducing any paranoia or the munchies. If your smoking it just to get baked then thats part of the problem, smoking it casually every no and again and pacing yourself like you would with alcohol or anything else and it can be a really good experience. If you sit there in a poor environment and smoke a whole joint in one hit then your asking for trouble, if your in a good environment or in company and smoke maybe half a joint and then take it easy for a bit before finishing it off you can get all the benefits whilst not having to worry about the negative effects.

It's the same as anything else, good in moderation bad in excess. Go out and smash 8 pints your asking for trouble and as a diabetic that would be plain foolish, smoke a 10 bag in one sitting is the same as binge drinking. Take it easy and enjoy yourself.

LittleWolf

Umm not trying to be a snob or know it all but for the benefit of all in this thread I'm a cannabis geek and worry about misinformation. It's nothing personal :3 This thread is under scrutiny and what we say could effect people's decisions and ultimately their safety

Perfect point about being conscious of the effect of different strains and not bingeing Chris. You're totally right in your attitude. Moderation is the key, pacing yourself and it is not all about getting totally drunk or baked. just a couple of things

Solid/resin/hash is not a strain but simply a form of cannabis where the resin glands containing active cannabinoids are concentrated or condensed. Hash can contain any number of different strains and questionable filler products. Personally I would never ever EVER buy it and I hope a legal, regulated market would be a better option for anyone who should want it in the future and cannot make their own.

sativas do induce the classic feelings of euphoria and the giggles but sativas contain a higher proportion of THC which is the cannabinoid seemingly linked to triggering paranoia/psychosis, however skewed the evidence. Indicas can be too drowsiness-inducing for some but try are the ones that are more useful for pain relief, insomnia and contains more CBN and CBD which has precisely the opposite effect
of THC. It is an antipsychotic and the pharma companies are trying to develop pills derived from CBD currently.

Stay safe, all of you x

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
I thought it was Zola Budd. Never mind.

kleef74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ive smoked cannabis ( solid and weed) since i was 18 resin doesnt make you paranoid weed does bcos of the amount of cannabis that is in resin just thought i would clear that bit up. People have talked about different strains people smoking to much etc etc if u want the full benefit of cannabis get a vapouriser then your inhaling vapour + the amount you have to vapourise to get a buzz is alot. You dont need cannabis to get the munchies you get hungry from time to time without cannabis and you make the descission to eat or not to eat. People have mentioned cuppa ts coffee alcohol WHY ? They have nothing to do with cannabis everybody knows when a person say there dont take drugs i think we all know what drugs there talking about. Cannabis contains nicotene and caffine brilliant bit of bs. IS CANNABIS GOOD FOR DIABETICS?
Imo depends how you take it there is more evidence to say it does help then evidence to say it doesnt. Make your choice and be happy not boring and repetative