Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My wife has just made a lasagna for tomorrow nights meal, she's made it using not 1, not 2, but 3 bulbs of garlic........not cloves but bulbs :shock:

Just as well I don't intend doing much on Saturday except walking the dog and a spot of gardening :)

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
:lol: :lol: :lol:

blame the dog...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Wow, that's a lot of garlic, but at least it should keep away any vampires in your neighbourhood, well the whole town actually :lol:

Happy eating

RRB :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Robinredbreast said:
Wow, that's a lot of garlic, but at least it should keep away any vampires in your neighbourhood, well the whole town actually :lol:

Happy eating

RRB :)

Should keep the county safe me thinks :lol:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may even be able to run your car off the fumes :lol:
CAROL

Anguse

Hi Noblehead,
Good for you as garlic is great for health and we must add garlic in our daily meal plans.Garlic is great antioxidant, helps in losing and maintaining healthy body weight and boost our immunity system. Garlic prevents from certain types of cancer, cardiovascular disease, reduces cholesterol level and lower blood pressure also.

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Garlic bulbs when roasted have a sweet taste and are soft. I assume your wife has used the cloves whole, so sounds great. Enjoy

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Nothing wrong with a big hit of garlic Nigel, I love it. As Westie says roast garlic is lovely and when cooked doesnt have the same strong taste as crushed garlic for some reason.

Elephant garlic bulbs are as big as my fist and when roasted the insides go all soft and mushy cut the top off and they make a great dip :thumbup: Its hard to get in the UK but Tesco have just started selling fresh garlic so thats a start. IMHO fresh garlic is so much nicer than the dried garlic we have been forced to buy for so long, check out your Tescos now and taste the difference :D

The Garlic Farm on the Isle of Wight is a place of wonder and a garlic lovers paradise their web site is here:
http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/index.aspx

Their recipe page has different pages for chicken, vegetable, meat and fish recipes and can be viewed here:
http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/garlicrecipes.aspx

:thumbup:

Edit:
ps. The Garlic Farm also sell garlic for growing and it is said to grow really well in our climate. Unfortunately I dont have green fingers plus anything I plant is immediately eaten by snails otherwise I would definitely grow my own.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I bought some garlic yesterday from Aldi.

4 bulbs for 69p.

I use it,just not that much. I hate the idea of 2 of the bulbs going in the bin as that's what happened last time I bought 4 bulbs.

Is there a way I can preserve them?

Can I put them in a jar with olive oil?

misslotty1

I buy frozen garlic cubes, from tesco for emergencies!
I hate it when you are about to start a dish, cut into the garlic and there is little brown spots.
Its just garlic and oil frozen , its good stuff. I also ginger , coriander and chilli. The brand I think is dorot. X

RobinLondon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
zolabud said:
I hate the idea of 2 of the bulbs going in the bin as that's what happened last time I bought 4 bulbs.

Is there a way I can preserve them?

I have never tried preserving garlic, as there never seems to be any left! If there is any going spare, I cut the top of the bulb off (so you can see the top of the cloves) and roast it off in the overnight. When it has cooled, I squeeze out the result onto some bread, toast or oat cake. It's a lovely snack.

Sent from my brain.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Westie2 said:
Garlic bulbs when roasted have a sweet taste and are soft. I assume your wife has used the cloves whole, so sounds great. Enjoy

Yes Westie that's how she does it, we do the same when adding garlic to stews, casseroles, mince etc, as you say it gives the garlic a sweet taste and you don't get the after taste.

Last night I made a chicken curry, for that I grated the garlic (2 bulbs :) ) into the curry sauce, the garlic I used came from Lidl, they occasionally sell garlic that comes in a basket with a plastic netting and contains roughly 8-12 small bulbs, they are unusual because when you peel the skin off the bulb the garlic is whole and not individual cloves, they are great for grating into stir-fry's..... or as I did into my curry. Tesco's have started selling jars of garlic cloves preserved in oil, these are great with a salad either whole or sliced up.

Sid, I've seen the garlic farm website before, paradise for us garlic lovers mate :thumbup:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Inexperienced cook???
Hana

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Annual Fête de L'Ail near my home.

It's grown a lot locally and you can watch it being plaited into tresses for sale from farms and from stalls on the coast road. Purple-tinged and wonderful.

If you're on holiday on north-east Brittany coast on July 28th go to this large Fête celebrating Garlic with music, food, dancing and numerous stands. On the "beach" with Mont St Michel behind.

Fun for all ages!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
A quick correction to my earlier post....The fresh garlic we recently bought came from Sainsburys not Tescos as I stated previously :thumbup:

Mrs Bonkers has just crushed the last of it to go in tonights Thai curry and chilli prawns, will have to get more next week.

That IOW garlic festival sounds interesting Catherine, as does the north East Brittany one, id love to go to either of those, or both :thumbup:

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Just shows the difference in the large supermarkets regionally,my local Tesco's has sold fresh garlic bulbs in the fruit and veg Isle for at least 9 years since I've been buying it there..I assumed they all did but obviously not.

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have started to get a veg box and it last week I had wet garlic, with a fresh flavour and you can use the green stem. Last night I used it to make an avocado dip, the flavour of which is maturing nicely.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Should we start a garlic appreciation society on the forum :D

The garlic festival looks good Catherine, I bet there's no problems with midges when that's taking place :lol: