CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
gezzathorpe said:
Hi, when you refer to 'first level insulin response, are you talking about Stage I T2?

What I meant was that the insulin response comes in 2 parts.
The first level, is an almost instantaneous release of insulin comes in to try and "mop up" the glucose, and is usually the first to be impaired in T2s.
The second level, is when the beta cells in the islets of Langerhans crank up production of insulin to deal with the remaining glucose. This tends to be better retained in "less damaged" T2s.

LittleWolf

Can I start by saying I really like Gezza?

I think others might be a little sore about their diabetes going unnoticed for a long time, if like me, they routinely show/ed numbers much higher than yours and felt neglected by doctors or wondered how long they were in the impaired glucose tolerance area. This thread brings up the issue of where exactly the cutoff points for diagnosis of diabetes should be. What is 'normal'? Or why is 10.9 ok and no one cares unless it's 11?

Also the point of testing every 15 minutes or so during a OGTT- how many people routinely go into the teens and are told nothing is wrong until complications start? Honestly? How many people have a normal fasting and normal after 2 hours are on the way downhill and the doctor sees no reason to check In between?

That's just the conclusion I came to. Those who are struggling with high numbers might feel 'trivialised' by someone managing normal numbers and when I first came across you my replies did sound sort of 'if I'm not diabetic how are you?!' or 'are you even diabetic??!'

But really we should all be aiming for where you are instead of shooting you down; maintaining normal range.

That's what we all want.

Interestingly, I quite like the taste of the new Lucozade but on my own home GTT it DID NOT spike my blood sugar. Grape juice did with 15.4 @ 30-40 minutes, weetabix and banana with 16.4 @ 30-40 minutes, but oddly enough, Lucozade only took me to 9.5 at a full hour the back to normal (7-6.5) over the next hour. numbers that wouldn't bother my GP, being under 11

Weird.

But anyway, thank goodness you didn't down a litre @_@

Whatever you are doing to produce the day to day readings you do is working and hope to follow you to your level of success. Guess we have to replace cynicism with curiosity?

Keep at it Gezza. Hope that test didn't make you feel too awful xxx He's a miracle, people.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
LittleWolf said:

I think others might be a little sore about their diabetes going unnoticed for a long time, if like me, they routinely show/ed numbers much higher than yours and felt neglected by doctors or wondered how long they were in the impaired glucose tolerance area. This thread brings up the issue of where exactly the cutoff points for diagnosis of diabetes should be. What is 'normal'? Or why is 10.9 ok and no one cares unless it's 11?

Also the point of testing every 15 minutes or so during a OGTT- how many people routinely go into the teens and are told nothing is wrong until complications start? Honestly? How many people have a normal fasting and normal after 2 hours are on the way downhill and the doctor sees no reason to check In between?

That's just the conclusion I came to. Those who are struggling with high numbers might feel 'trivialised' by someone managing normal numbers and when I first came across you my replies did sound sort of 'if I'm not diabetic how are you?!' or 'are you even diabetic??!'
LittleWolf, when I was diagnosed people were giving it "you will feel a bit traumatised by the diagnosis".
I was all "Lets get this under control"
If the HCPs ha fouled up in the past (annual BG/BP was fine 3 months before) then it woldn't change the future, positive action would 8) .
The fixed categorisation IMHO alows HCPs to pigeonhole us and standardise our "treatment" without having to think about HOW to treat! A bit of a throwback to T1 (you have a functional pancreas/your pancreas is F*cked :twisted: )
To be cold about our condition, a "pre-diabetic" doesn't attract a premium so you may think : leave him/her until they do!
If they do a BG at more than before & @2 hrs they have to analyse and think about the case and that requires more knowledge than a GP is trained for :oops:
Bitter, Me : Nah, just world wise!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interestingly, I quite like the taste of the new Lucozade but on my own home GTT it DID NOT spike my blood sugar
If it was one of the newer varieties it wouldn't have the same effect.
eg Orange:Carbonated Water, Glucose Fructose Syrup (21%), Orange Juice from Concentrate (5%), Citric Acid, Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrate), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Stabiliser (Acacia Gum), Caffeine, Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid), Flavourings, Colour (Beta Carotene
Original:
Carbonated Water, Glucose Syrup (25%), Citric Acid, Lactic Acid, Flavouring, Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Bisulphite), Caffeine, Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid), Colour (Sunset Yellow, Ponceau 4R). Sunset Yellow and Ponceau 4R may have an adverse effect on activity and attention in children

The glucose fructose contains both glucose and fructose . Fructose has a lower glycaemic index than glucose : 19 ± 2, compared with 100 for glucose

A

Anonymous

LittleWolf said:

But really we should all be aiming for where you are instead of shooting you down; maintaining normal range.

That's what we all want.

Interestingly, I quite like the taste of the new Lucozade but on my own home GTT it DID NOT spike my blood sugar. Grape juice did with 15.4 @ 30-40 minutes, weetabix and banana with 16.4 @ 30-40 minutes, but oddly enough, Lucozade only took me to 9.5 at a full hour the back to normal (7-6.5) over the next hour. numbers that wouldn't bother my GP, being under 11

Weird.

But anyway, thank goodness you didn't down a litre @_@

Whatever you are doing to produce the day to day readings you do is working and hope to follow you to your level of success. Guess we have to replace cynicism with curiosity?

Keep at it Gezza. Hope that test didn't make you feel too awful xxx He's a miracle, people.

Hi, I was surprised when I saw the high bG figure in the results, which I would not have known about without doing the test and so I've learned something. And, yes, I am feeling much better, thanks! :D Took most of yesterday for me to feel right again.

I think it's good to have some real facts and figures behind what real people we know on the site are saying rather than just obscure snippets, many of which are unproven theories, from the internet etc. I can't help my figures and they are by no means perfect. But I hope that they add to the debates and people can take interest or poo poo them as they wish. :think: :think:

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
gezzathorpe said:
I think it's good to have some real facts and figures behind what real people we know on the site are saying rather than just obscure snippets, many of which are unproven theories, from the internet etc. I can't help my figures and they are by no means perfect. But I hope that they add to the debates and people can take interest or poo poo them as they wish. :think: :think:
I think there is great value in laying it all out on the table, and people can say," here is a n=1 case" and try to formulate their own n=1 solution to the problem, accepting that the experiment may or may not work, and accepting that risk. :?

LittleWolf

I tried it with the new Lucozade and the old original. 75g. Still nothing over 11

I think I'm worse with fructose. Juices, cordials, actual fruit especially pineapple and grapes produce results in the teens without fail. Weird.

Couldn't have said it better myself! The doctor hasn't the time or knowledge to examine every individual case. You're either exhibiting signs of typical this or typical that or 'get out of my office until you are' Guess it's a high pressure job though.

Sorry :/

A

Anonymous

I would be interested to get a reply, especially from people who consider themselves to be on a low-carb diet, to the following question.

Person 'x' reduces their daily carb intake from 350g to 250g, representing a drop of 100g per day, and person 'y' reduces their daily carb intake from 250g to 100g, representing a drop of 150g per day. Both experience an improvement in bGs and both lose weight.

The question is which of the two people is on a low-carb diet and which one is not?

Vern

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars
Hi Gezzathorpe!

I have been reading your posts for a while now with great admiration for you. As a locarber I stay under 30gr a day. It has worked for me. I must add that 150gr daily is still considered locarb. I lost 22 kgs, have kept it off for a year and indeed now struggle to keep my weight at around 70kgs. I might add I am 54 years old, Female, 1.75m and a BMI now of 22. My HBA1c ranges between 5.2% and 5.7% with Cholesterol of 4.2. I LCHF and have for years. My answer would be that if you regularly eat HCarb foods then a 100gr drop is a HUGE drop and you will lose weight and bring BG down. Locarb for me is mega Locarb and to others it's 150gr a day. It depends on your own unique genetic makeup and what you have tolerance for. That being said I would hasten to add that others, like yourself process carbs better than I do and this must be modified according to carb intolerance. I DO NOT advocate going as low as I do, but when you test to your meter, you find out what you can tolerate. Henceforth they could both be considered as low carb according to their previous carb intake. Do let me know if this is helpful.

A

Anonymous

Vern said:
Hi Gezzathorpe!

I have been reading your posts for a while now with great admiration for you. As a locarber I stay under 30gr a day. It has worked for me. I must add that 150gr daily is still considered locarb. I lost 22 kgs, have kept it off for a year and indeed now struggle to keep my weight at around 70kgs. I might add I am 54 years old, Female, 1.75m and a BMI now of 22. My HBA1c ranges between 5.2% and 5.7% with Cholesterol of 4.2. I LCHF and have for years. My answer would be that if you regularly eat HCarb foods then a 100gr drop is a HUGE drop and you will lose weight and bring BG down. Locarb for me is mega Locarb and to others it's 150gr a day. It depends on your own unique genetic makeup and what you have tolerance for. That being said I would hasten to add that others, like yourself process carbs better than I do and this must be modified according to carb intolerance. I DO NOT advocate going as low as I do, but when you test to your meter, you find out what you can tolerate. Henceforth they could both be considered as low carb according to their previous carb intake. Do let me know if this is helpful.

Thanks. You are the first person to bother to give me your own definition of low-carbing in reply to my many attempts at asking! You can see now, perhaps, why I still 'hypo' because 100g or so breakfast & lunch puts me 'on the cusp' during the afternoon. Not enough carbs at that time of day, methinks.

I would only test to my meter in the first period after diagnosis, otherwise I would find myself permanently modifying my diet every time I 'spiked' and my diet would be forever 'in flux'. To me, and with the greatest respect, that is 'not living with T2 diabetes' but 'being a slave to it'.

A

Anonymous

Here are the results of three anonymous people who conducted an OGTT self-test.

u8it522RhclrX_DYiWo17VMSQE9CSvErRuvvCkWplqA=w670-h400-p-no

Which of them do people think would be considered to be diabetic? Green, grey or blue?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I 'm sorry Gezza but will you PLEASE stop using the term Hypo so loosely! What you describe is symptoms of low blood sugar,a person without Diabetes can experience that BUT as a high carb,med free T2 you are NOT experiencing REAL life threatening hypo's like type 1's like me or Type 2's on insulin face..You are dumbing down the seriousness of REAL hypoglaecemia just to make a point against lowcarb.

I'm sure I will get banned for speaking out but my position stands..REAL HYPOS claim lives

A

Anonymous

Tubsolard said:
I 'm sorry Gezza but will you PLEASE stop using the term Hypo so loosely! What you describe is symptoms of low blood sugar,a person without Diabetes can experience that BUT as a high carb,med free T2 you are NOT experiencing REAL life threatening hypo's like type 1's like me or Type 2's on insulin face..You are dumbing down the seriousness of REAL hypoglaecemia just to make a point against lowcarb.

I'm sure I will get banned for speaking out but my position stands..REAL HYPOS claim lives

I use the term 'hypo' when I get down below 3.9 which is frequently and sometimes down to 2.9 and with the same symptoms as many people describe. I believe that many people on this site use the term as I do. You are, presumably, asking anyone (not just me) who does not suffer from a life-threatening hypo not to 'dumb down' the term 'hypo'. However, I will comply, so that from now on I frequently suffer from 'low blood sugar' which, according to you, is different from a hypo.. I will continue to experience frequent episodes of 'low blood sugar' and treat them the same way as I have up until now as I do not intend to wait until the level of my 'low blood sugar' becomes life-threatening.

As for making a point against lowcarb, I think I have claimed to be lowcarb at least 6 times in various blogs, so it would strange for me to be making a point against my own practice.

The DUK defnition is ... What is Hypoglycemia?

Hypoglycemia occurs when the level of glucose present in the blood falls below a set point: Below 4 mmol/L. I accept your explanation that hypo is not shorthand for hypoglaecemia.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Oh no!! not the whole 'Fours the floor' thing again! :roll: For someone on insulin or other meds..safety first!!YES!! but diet only T2 no meds I don't buy it sorry..BUT....You are free to say what you want Gezza..I've said my piece and I have worked out what all this is about in my mind and I shall say no more on this matter and will draw a line under the sand.

ciao

Paul

A

Anonymous

Tubsolard said:
Oh no!! not the whole 'Fours the floor' thing again! :roll: For someone on insulin or other meds..safety first!!YES!! but diet only T2 no meds I don't buy it sorry..BUT....You are free to say what you want Gezza..I've said my piece and I have worked out what all this is about in my mind and I shall say no more on this matter and will draw a line under the sand.

ciao

Paul

Or stick your head on the sand .... or is it the other way round? :lol:

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
gezzathorpe said:
Tubsolard said:

ciao

Paul

Last word..I just hope this is worth it-this crusade of yours-sure you feel good but for god's sake-think of the newly diagnosed who are going to see your claims as 'Shooting for the stars' in terms of control even though they are frustrated and REALLY trying to reduce carbs and be on meds already but are still struggling with their BG's when they read your claims-hope you're proud of yourself Gezza...Nice one :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

Tubsolard said:
gezzathorpe said:
Tubsolard said:

ciao

Paul

Last word..I just hope this is worth it-this crusade of yours-sure you feel good but for god's sake-think of the newly diagnosed who are going to see your claims as 'Shooting for the stars' in terms of control even though they are frustrated and REALLY trying to reduce carbs and be on meds already but are still struggling with their BG's when they read your claims-hope you're proud of yourself Gezza...Nice one :thumbdown:

I don't make any claims. I just describe my experience of diabetes and publish hard, unadulterated facts which are interpreted as misleading by some. Everyone on this site can and does make their own choice. And I don't agree with your statement that people are 'really trying to be on meds already'. I believe that some people are trying not to be on meds.

I am extremely proud of myself and have come a long way on a difficult journey over the last 5 years. Perhaps I need to learn that people don't wish to hear good news.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gezza,

Please seek advice from your medical team about other conditions that cause hypoglycemia.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Last word..I just hope this is worth it-this crusade of yours-sure you feel good but for god's sake-think of the newly diagnosed who are going to see your claims as 'Shooting for the stars' in terms of control even though they are frustrated and REALLY trying to reduce carbs and be on meds already but are still struggling with their BG's when they read your claims-hope you're proud of yourself Gezza...Nice one :thumbdown:[/quote]

I don't make any claims. I just describe my experience of diabetes and publish hard, unadulterated facts which are interpreted as misleading by some. Everyone on this site can and does make their own choice. And I don't agree with your statement that people are 'really trying to be on meds already'. I believe that some people are trying not to be on meds.

I am extremely proud of myself and have come a long way on a difficult journey over the last 5 years. Perhaps I need to learn that people don't wish to hear good news.[/quote]

I guess you are a miracle after all,well done, Much love Paul

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Ambersilva said:
Gezza,

Please seek advice from your medical team about other conditions that cause hypoglycemia.

Good valid point - it is always best to seek GP/HCP's advice when unsure or uncertain of anything
including any hypo's .
Far better and wiser to be more safe than sorry . :)

Anna.

Status
Not open for further replies.