Putting on weight

xafsanax2010

Been diabetic now for nearly a year, I don't carb count and take humalog mix 25 twice a day and lisipro for lunch, I take 20 units morning and evening and 12 with lunch.

I have noticed that I am putting on a lot of weight! My body looks out of shape and I find it really unattractive, Im an active person I play badminton and table tennis and usually walk everywhere.

How can I loose weight without putting my body in danger? Am I taking too much insulin compared to wa my body needs? I just wanna look as great as I feel and I miss that :'( it makes me really sad sometimes when I think about how thin I used to be, I've gone from 9 stone 5 to nearly 11!

Plea help!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Embabe25

I'm in the same position. I'm taking 80 units of lantus and 25-30 units of humilin s at meals. I'm piling on the weight! I'm waiting for a referral to an nhs weight management programme. I don't count carbs. I have insulin restistance but probably take far too much insulin. I feel like **** all the time!

Sorry there wasn't any advice there. Just wanted you to know you aren't alone x

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
So the common factor seems to be both not counting carbs. Why not give it a try ? That way you just inject what's needed ! It's not too difficult now with food labelling, books and apps.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
mo1905 said:
So the common factor seems to be both not counting carbs.

I count carbs and have been gaining a steady 2lbs a week since diagnosis :( I had very steady weight for years prior to this so it's a bit gutting really!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Embabe25 said:
I have no idea how much insulin to take for how many carbs! It's never been explained to me.

Ask your DSN about a carb counting class, it was one of the first things I attended when I was diagnosed. They tell you to start with 1u per 10g carb and then alter according to how your body reacts. I use 1u per 12g for breakfast and lunch, and 1u per 15g for dinner as I'm far more receptive to insulin in the evenings!

Embabe25

Yeah I fancy doing the dafne course but finding the time is hard as I have two babies and daddy works constantly to keep a roof over our heads. Maybe once things get a little easier I can get him to take a wee holiday and see if I can get one

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The waiting list where I am is about 9 months so it might be worth registering an interest now and by the time you get a date you might be in a better position to go. If you can't make it the. Just ask to be differed to the next one! It's for your babies that you need to have good control and DAFNE will help with that.

Back on original topic though, my weight gain has stopped. Settled at a point that I'm happy with. So it seems carb counting is working for me

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Embabe25 said:
Yeah I fancy doing the dafne course but finding the time is hard as I have two babies and daddy works constantly to keep a roof over our heads. Maybe once things get a little easier I can get him to take a wee holiday and see if I can get one

You should note, carb counting class is different to DAFNE. Carb counting class for me was 3 hours one morning. Just a basic introduction. DAFNE is more in depth and longer.

JoD

Been type 2 since diagnosed end of July last year. Had some weight loss and felt good about myself. Had my first check up in Jan and my cholesterol level was lower and my sugar levels were as well. Nurse was very pleased with the results. I was told to go back in 6 months. However, since Jan I have put on 7 lbs. I think I can eat and do what I want but I know I can't but I don't see any problems. I can't help my sweet tooth. However, in the last week I have felt really thirsty again and I'm not sleeping as well as I did. Any ideas what is happening to me and how I can get back on the straight and narrow. I'm 52 and I'm getting married in sept for the 2nd time and want to lose wait again. By the way I am on metformin slow release 500mg twice a day.

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I've been taking 2 injections each day of humalog 25 for 18 years (doseage has changed considerably) and I have started to notice that I have put on a bit of weight round my hips and tum! I hate it as I've always been an athletic type build and now I'm not the hugest person but I can notice the weight gain and it's awful! I use the gym 2/3 times a week and am active with my job but I've gone from 9 stone 5 to 10'2 :(

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ive been a type i since november 2012, my diabetic nurse told me i could eat anything, im big framed and 16/17 stone mark, im on insulin novorapid and lantus. ive noticed im putting on weight , i read someware that a girl lost weight by stopping taking insulin. would that be a safe method of loosing weight.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
spaceman said:
ive been a type i since november 2012, my diabetic nurse told me i could eat anything, im big framed and 16/17 stone mark, im on insulin novorapid and lantus. ive noticed im putting on weight , i read someware that a girl lost weight by stopping taking insulin. would that be a safe method of loosing weight.

Nope - to just stop taking/using your insulin ISNT a safe method at all .
You are on insulin for a reason , it helps keep you alive and your too high blood sugar levels down .

The ratio of insulin being put in - has to be actively and effectively burned off .
This will burn the fat storage !
This in turn prevents the weight gain and a raised BMI .

The more active I am and I 'do' find the small portions/lower carb diet works 'best' with me . :thumbup:
But this is just me . . . :)

Hope this helps .

Anna .

danielcvs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You must consider your glucose level before eating and taking the insulin.

Imagine you have a 10 reading before a meal;
imagine you'd like to be at a 5.5
Each unit you give "subtracts" 2.75 blood glucose level. So you must take 1 unit of 100 UI/mL insulin.

Plus, you have to give extra insulin for the carbs you're going to eat; as for me, i take 2 or 3 per a complete meal, but you should ckeck the tables.

So, your total amount of insulin would be, let's say : 1+3 or 1+2 (when i eat a more carb free meal) or even 1+4 if i'm having a good dessert.

If i can help you more, please say so, i'm glad to help.

X-entricity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been in the same position re weight and without appearing to hard, there is only one answer. Eat less, especially less of the wrong foods. If you are putting on weight, your body is not using all you eat.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IVE PUT ON ALOT OF WEIGHT, im on 12 of Lantus in the evening & novorapid 3 times a day at meal times, i dont carb count,as my diabetic nurse told me i could eat anything at meal times.

JeanetteGr

xafsanax2010 said:
Been diabetic now for nearly a year, I don't carb count and take humalog mix 25 twice a day and lisipro for lunch, I take 20 units morning and evening and 12 with lunch.

I have noticed that I am putting on a lot of weight! My body looks out of shape and I find it really unattractive, Im an active person I play badminton and table tennis and usually walk everywhere.

How can I loose weight without putting my body in danger? Am I taking too much insulin compared to wa my body needs? I just wanna look as great as I feel and I miss that :'( it makes me really sad sometimes when I think about how thin I used to be, I've gone from 9 stone 5 to nearly 11!

Plea help!

Since you gain weight, are oftes low and have to eat sweet stuff? If You are I would try to avoid getting low:)

Purple72

Hi there been told that having insclins does put weight on as an struggle loses as only loss half stone in 3 months does. Anybody have that problem?

Sorted007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on insulin for about a month and put on nearly one stone