heart attack at 43

leadingjo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
diabetes
I am 43 and had a massive heart attack apparently caused by diabetes.
I have been going back and forth to gp with reflux! but it was heart problems no ecg was done and I nearly lost my life.
I'm in a bad place and am waiting for more stents

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
All the best, hope your sorted soon. Another back and fourth with gp with not enough checks done. happened to me except with my diabetes. Wishing u a speedy recovery.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
That is very frightening to hear(I'm only 6 years younger than that) and must have been such a shock and out of the blue :(
I really hope you get the treatment you need and that the stents can give you back what you had before the coronary and you can still enjoy life to the full.

Best wishes

Paul

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
How awful for you Jo, hope you make a full recovery and keep well.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
How terrible for you, I do hope you can get your angioplasty sorted quickly and you are feeling a lot better soon.

Wishing you a speedy recovery :thumbup:

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's certainly a major scare but at least you are now, on the radar so to speak. I had a major problem some years ago and was in the very severe category. I was also told there was no cure and not much I could do about it myself, so I have some idea of how you are feeling. But it went away, much to everyone's surprise and much to my relief. The biggest benefit you have out of this is that you now know that you have to look after yourself and many small changes often result in a good step forward. I wish you all the best.

Md.rose

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear of your situation, I had a suspected heart attack on 31 December 2003, and went through many tests, ECG's combined with treadmill. Tests, all seemed OK but finally a few months later I had bye injected into my my veins near to the hear which showed three blocked arteries so could not have a stent to cure the condition, I was suffering some angina but being diabetic this was masked, but I was getting out of breath climbing up several floors of steps at work. Finally had a triple heart by-pass in October 2004, and have not looked back since. Don't hold back ask for urgent investigation certainly things moved rapidly after having the dye injected into the heart, I would push for that to find out the condition of your arteries.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Well, my history......

1991 Heart attacks
1992 heart attacks
1993 CABG's ( coronary artery bypass grafts )
1994 Total transplant
1994-2013 no problems whatsoever.
2013 In Papworth now, had 8 ltrs water removed from body,was causing heart to fail.

Feeling a lot better now can walk and breath again !

Bloody marvellous.

Superchip

Chrisspiller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, sorry to hear of your problems, I managed to avoid the heart attack, by walking in to A+E with severe chest pains. I had ECGs and drugs and was kept in overnight. In the morning during yet another ECG was feeling unwell, I got sent for an immediate Angiogram during which I died. Luckily I got revived and was told that I needed multiple bypasses. I wasn't allowed home! At Harefield hospital I had a very clever (his words) surgeon who decided to do "only" 3 bypasses. In the end he only did 2 as he "couldn't get any more to take" but "don't worry, you got the main one at the front and a little one around the back, it should be fine"
On leaving hospital a week and a half later I was advised to develop a good relationship with my cardiologist, but he just signed me off saying that if I'm lucky I may get 10 years!
I do now see my GP frequently, he is excellent. I think the NHS is great, nurses are great, Harefield is great, but I'm not so sure about self proclaimed clever surgeons.
Do push for further help, and don't be afraid to walk into A+E if you need to, that's where the NHS is best.
Good luck.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Superchip said:
Well, my history......

1991 Heart attacks
1992 heart attacks
1993 CABG's ( coronary artery bypass grafts )
1994 Total transplant
1994-2013 no problems whatsoever.
2013 In Papworth now, had 8 ltrs water removed from body,was causing heart to fail.

Feeling a lot better now can walk and breath again !

Bloody marvellous.

Superchip

My God! :shock: You've really been through the mill with all that! sorry to hear you've recently been unwell...hope you've turned a corner now and that things will continue to get better for you

tony48738

Heart attack at 46, that's how I found out I was Type 1 diabetic. 2 stents fitted that was 4 years ago never felt better.
get well soon :)

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
leadingjo..... i had a heart attack last year and like you I died but not just once but many times. I have had stents on both sodes now and have been fine for 16 months now. A week before i was diagnose diabetic and stopped smoking and drinking and changed my diet but a week was not enough obviously and the had the heart attack. The thing is you are here and alive so now its up to you and a handful of drugs everyday to get on with your life. I have lost 35kg and slim as anything and exercise everyday and eat all the right stuff. Its easy because you have the right motivation. The decision is an easy. Change your lifestyle and live dont change and die.
BUT and there is always a but i thought recovery was getting fit and slim buit when i had done that i then realised i was screwed up in my head and this has been my biggest hurdle. i found a councillor in the end and talked myself dry and now i am fine and accept where i am at now. So if you feel like its depressing you or you have lost direction just get help and talk it all out its amazing what it does and now i see a brighter future and not waiting for it to happpen again (well not every minute now).
If you want to talk about what you are going through just ask to contact me privately and we can natter. No problem.

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
I hope you have made a steady recovery.
I wish you all the best for the future

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a heart attack at age 27 and required angioplasty and a stent. I'm 31 now and I've had T1 since I was 11. I was overweight and had fairly poor control but all the docotors were shocked that it happened so young.

You never know what's going to happen. Statistics only show the trends and averages but there will always be those who fall outside the 'norm'. It's a scary thing to happen, having a heart attack. It's a real life changer. I hope you continue to recover well. There is plenty of support out there/on here if you need it.

GOOD LUCK!! :)

leadingjo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
diabetes
I'm not doing well GP has reduced my painkillers from 18 to 8 and I have gone from limited mobility to barely any!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
leadingjo said:
I'm not doing well GP has reduced my painkillers from 18 to 8 and I have gone from limited mobility to barely any!
Sorry to hear that. Do you have a date for further stenting?

I found I had to make a lot of noise before I was taken seriously. GP said my symptoms were just anxiety.

Laurie1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a heart attack at 43. Here I am ten years later. Just take things easy for a while. The mixture of good medical advice,good diet,exercise and most importantly being at one with your inner self will keep you going. I use reflexology for relaxation and pain relief. Find out what's best for you and try to enjoy life to the full.
Laurie1960

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Sounds like your GP was not on the ball. It's something that should never have happened. I wish you luck with stents. My late cousin was the materials scientist who worked on the alloy they are made from.
Hana

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
i had a massive heart attack 9 weeks ago at age 68 , the ambulance crew were great we got to harefield over 30 miles away in 25 mins
when we got there i went straight into the OR and had a triple stent inserted i was out of hosp in three days and i feel great.what I can't understand is why ? was told by nurses that it was because I have diabetes.
my outlook on life has been changed i now live for the day and Im celebrating I'm alive thank you harefield :lol:

frenchlady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
Sorry to hear of your plight. However, I can sympathise somewhat. I have had type 1 for 30 odd years. I had an angioplasty in 2001 which blocked again a couple of months later and so had another. No problems. I had another angioplasty in January this year. In March this year, I had heart failure followed by a cardiac arrest. They broke my ribs doing cpr but it obviously worked. I had been in hospital a month earlier with all the same signs but because I responded to diuretics, they sent me home after a week (without diuretics which I I have been on for years) within weeks I had the near fatal attack despite my telling every medical person who I came into contact with that I was breathing strangely, my ankles were swollen and I was putting on lots of weight (classic heart failure symptoms). I am so angry that I almost died because no one would listen. I was in intensive coronary care and in hospital for three weeks. I am now anxious that it may happen again to such an extent that I feel as if I can't go on a much needed holiday because I feel that I need to be near to my local hospital. I am getting more support than I did the time before but you have to make big changes in your life. I am making huge changes in my diet. I really sympathise with your state of mind at the moment but it will get better with time. I have come a long way since my 'episode' and I know you will do the same. I am still aiming for a holiday!! Keep going, things will improve. x