If you take supplements, what do you take them for?

If you take supplements, what do you take them for?

• General health

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • Eye health

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Heart health

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Joint health

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Mental health

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Sexual health

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Vitamin deficiencies

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • Other (please specify in a post below)

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • None

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlanEadie

I take multivitamins (NutriShield) to help prevent catching colds. As well as being diabetic I am also asthmatic and when I catch a cold I am liable to lose control of my asthma and finish up in hospital. I am very pleased how successful this has been.

Alan (HbA1c = 5.7)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
A gp that attends my upholstery course says that walnuts are good for everything and magnesium is good for muscles. However she said that multivitamins are not as good as a good diet with meat and veg (no mention of carbs!!).

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
10ml of Seven Seas High Strength Cod Liver Oil, hopefully get everything else I need from my diet.

Jessicasugar24

Dislikes
Needles!
Hi guys,

I take sea kelp, multivitamin & iron and zinc,

They all help against colds ect and the sea kelp against my nails and hair as it doesn't grow much down to a deficiency from me being coeliac.

Thanks
Jessica

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take Vit C and Zinc together to boost my immune system. Have been taking it for about a year now (at a high dose of 1000% per day) and have only had one cold in that time. Beforehand I was having one cold straight after another so it felt like I was ill for months. I've really seen the difference.

ailsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I take Chromium Picolinate, Cranberry. Cinnamon powder on yog or cereal. These were recommended somewhere for Diabetics. I take Glucosamine for joints and Vit B and Zinc for emotional balance. I feel like a junky at times, but at nearly 68 apart from my insulin and in the last week thyroxine I take no other medication. I think I am doing ok. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43587#

SpikyMike

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take Vitamin D3 (as live in north of Scotland!), Vitamin B12 (for pernicious anaemia), Omega 3, Glucosamine (for joints), and a multivitamin & mineral.

Type 1 since 1969.

iHs

pickledpepper2 said:
mo1905 said:
Love walnuts but not cheap ! I pay about £2 for a very small bag.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Try Aldis

They do a 180g bag for about £1.80

Also, try the larger Asian food supermarkets. Nuts feature very much in Asian diets and nearly nut going is available except Macadamia.

If I remember correctly from listening to a radio programme some time ago about Omega 3, it was mentioned that eating 6 walnuts per day would provide all the Omega 3 and Omega 6 that would be needed for good health.

pickledpepper2

iHs said:
pickledpepper2 said:
mo1905 said:
Love walnuts but not cheap ! I pay about £2 for a very small bag.

Try Aldis

They do a 180g bag for about £1.80

Also, try the larger Asian food supermarkets. Nuts feature very much in Asian diets and nearly nut going is available except Macadamia.

If I remember correctly from listening to a radio programme some time ago about Omega 3, it was mentioned that eating 6 walnuts per day would provide all the Omega 3 and Omega 6 that would be needed for good health.

Cool I really love walnuts, including crumbling them on a zesty salad!

MarathonMan81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Vitamin D3 and Omega-3/Cod Liver oil for general health. Also Turmeric
And ZMA for male health

:)

dollydreamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tories
hiya,
i take co-enzyme q10 300mg and chromium complex plus a vit b complex high strength.

for two years i have been taking 2 x 1000mg of metformin and victoza injections. since starting suplements (6 weeks ago) i have come off victoza and reduced metformin to 3 x 500mg and after my next hba1c i hope to reduce metformin to 2 x 500mg per day.

i also take chlorella and spirulina about 3mg per day of each.

i follow a low carb and low fat diet. i eat fish twice a week, i also juice green veg every other day as a meal replacement.
i've completely changed my eating habits since i've been juicing. i do have an emotional eating disorder but have found the juicing helps me to control my food intake because i'm not hungry.

i feel better in myself, my depression is lifting, i have more energy. i just watched the tv programme on channel 4, sick and dying about a juicing fast. i havn't done that but i know that green vegetables, the darker the better are the finest thing for our bodies.

pickledpepper2

I saw a 3 for 2 deal on Ginkgo Biloboa in Sainburys and jumped on it. Apparently it has scientifically recognised efficacy in improving blood circulation.

However, I did come across some papers suggesting a raise in bs levels on taking it so will be keeping an eye out (even though I have no test strips).

hornplayer

Don't really like walnuts :( - a pity, considering all the good things I'm reading about them. - I don't s'pose pecans, their prettier, very much nicer tasting cousins are any good for you??

I take a good multi vitamin and mineral supplement. I eat naked salad vegetables, home grown, but at the moment, most of my protein during the day comes from a high protein, very low carb shake, which I carry in powdered form. - before anyone yells at me, my job means that my car is my office. I don't feel comfortable eating protein that's been sitting in the car in this heat, even with a cooler! My cholesterol is a little too high, so cheese is sadly off the menu.

karenmc2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Ignorant and rude people
Evening primrose oil for severe pmt

Lucyturner

I take vitamin C and zinc tablets that you dissolve in water and also iron tablets and I have to have 3 monthly injections of vitamin b12 as my levels are very low. I have also recently been diagnosed with nocturnal epilepsy along with being type 1, the tablets that I take for the epilepsy make me very tired which is why I take the supplements as they help to boost my energy levels but I also find going to the gym does this as well so I go there at least 3 times a week.

Lucy

Dusk71

If u don't like walnuts then almonds are good too hornplayer... I take 2 probiotics each day to stop the ( windy) effects of metformin! I'd recommend this as it works. I also drink cholesterol reducing yogs.

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
I take a multivitamin and Creon which were prescribed by my consultant after I had pancreatitis.