Lantus and levemir

Mark1988

For 4 years i used lantus. 20iu at night. It was only lately i noticed it made me groggy, tired and always hungry. I explained all this to me doctor and he changed me to levemir.

The past two weeks i have been takin 5000mg of garlic supplements which had started to make me sick. But past couple nights when i take levemir my sugar levels rise and i start to feel faint and dizzy and my chest gets tight to breath. As well as all of this my arms and legs go all pins and needles. I told my doctor and he said it was a coincidence. Then last night it happened again only worse so i had to go to accident and emergency where they kept an eye on me til the effects started to wear off.

The doctors in there told me they were mot sure whether i was allergic to the new insulin or wether the large amount of garlic tablets waa causing this.

So today i am feeling better an all pins and needles gone.

Have any of you ever experienced this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i am a bit worried about taking levemir tonight again.

Thank you

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only been taking it for three weeks now, but I can't say I've had any of those symptoms you describe.

Have you checked whether all the preservatives etc are the same?

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
I have been taking Levimir for over 2 years combined with Novorapid with no ill effects and my bs rarely goes above 10. (type 1)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mark1988

Thank you for your reply. I was kept in hospital on friday and saturday because of the way i felt. All my bloods were normal and heart was normal so they are putting it down to the garlic supplements maybe having an effect on my insulin but for the time being put me back on lantus. Really hoping this is the end of it

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi mark1988.

The effects you describe don't tally with levemir side effects .
Have you not read the leaflet that comes with your levemir ?

If possible preservative side effect of levemir it is usually evident as a site location
reaction on your abdomen [tummy area] known as lipos .
Large red inflamed site reaction spread widely over time [few hours]
Restricting site rotation area too - as red swelling gets wider .

These ARE clearly stated on the manufacturers leaflet provided in every levemir box.

I used to use levemir - this happened to myself [so I am speaking from my own personal experience here!]

I would be more inclined to try looking at the garlic supplements clashing with your insulin .
What you describe isn't really known or consistent with levemir insulin .

If it was me in your shoes I would try stop taking the garlic supplements for a few days .
As you do and will need your insulin GREATER than the garlic supplements !

If effects disappear with few days of stopping the large doses of the garlic supplements
then BINGO you have the answer .

Anna .

Mark1988

Thank you for you for your help Anna. Yes doctors think its garlic doing it to levemir as its only happened recently. Hope they are out of my system soon as this feeling is not good although it is getting weaker after each injection since last tablets i took was friday morning

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Out of curiousity mark why? are/were you taking such a large dose
of garlic supplements anyway ?

Just wondering why ?
Hope you don't mind me asking you this .
Anna . :)

Mark1988

I am going away to thailand for a month. At the minute i read they have a problem with mosquitoes carrying dengue fever which hits people hard if infected. So being a diabetic i would not like to get this.

I then was searchig of ways to help keep mosquitoes away as well as using cream. This is where i kept readin about garlic supplements being good. But me being silly i took quote large quantities of the garlic so it would be well in my system for going. Now it has come back to bite me.

This will be last time i try any natural remidies lol

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Great reply mark - thank you :thumbup:

Have you asked your own GP about this concern ?

Maybe? any other members reading this - may be able to help you 'more'
with any suitable mosquitoes tips/suggestions/advice etc..

Anna .

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I travel to Indonesia several times a year where they also have dengue. I know a few people who've had it and it's not good.

The only sure fire way to avoid dengue is to not get bitten. That means long sleeves at dawn and dusk, keep the windows closed etc.

DEET is pretty good as a repellent, but there are also natural based ones out there. One i have uses eucalyptus oil. There are also garden insecticides using pyrethrum, an extract of chrysanthemums, not sure if that can be used on people

Mark1988

Thank you for your reply. I have bought 4 tubes of boots tropical deet cream to apply. Long sleeves and trousers i would find hard to wear due to te humidity and heat

michelereid2002

I was on lantus and levimir lantus wasn't holding me at all bloods all over the place levimir my injection sight on my tum were red blotchy and very itchy and hot the amount of heat from the sights was amazing who needs a water bottle I was finally put on humilin I have been on this for a while with no ill effects maybe it was the garlic

Mark1988

I am honestly not sure what it is but i am still not well. Still have the pins and needles all over and still dizzy when i get up. Its starting to irritate me now. Plus it looks like i wont be able to go on my holiday as well.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Mark1988 said:
I am honestly not sure what it is but i am still not well. Still have the pins and needles all over and still dizzy when i get up. Its starting to irritate me now. Plus it looks like i wont be able to go on my holiday as well.

In your shoes Mark I would temporarily switch back to lantus and ditch the garlic supplements until your holiday is over, there's some effective mosquito creams about and your gp may be able to prescribe one for you, on your return I would ask to be seen by a diabetes consultant about your symptoms.

Mark1988

I have been back on lantus from friday and also have not taken a garlic tablet from friday as well. Doctors are not sure what is causing it which is a bit annoying as i am bein sent home with anti sickness tablets just

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Mark1988 said:
I have been back on lantus from friday and also have not taken a garlic tablet from friday as well. Doctors are not sure what is causing it which is a bit annoying as i am bein sent home with anti sickness tablets just

Mark, if you are not already under the care of your hospital clinic for your diabetes then I would suggest you ask your gp to refer you over, in my own experience the gp diabetes clinics are fine but lack the expertise that you get in a hospital setting, this is especially so for those who are on insulin.

Hope you get things sorted!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Mark .

Another thought is could it be withdrawal symptoms from such quantities
of the garlic supplements ?
They may take a while to get out of your system?

If I were you - I really would see your own GP soon about all of this .
Best to play safe eh ?

Anna.

Mark1988

Was at my gp yesterday and have to go back tomorrow if i feel the same which i probably will as the feelings havent decreased at from saturday. Gets irritating not knowing what is the cause

Jayno

Mosquitoes don't like Avons Skin So Soft range. I use it every time I go away and so far i have gone from being eaten alive to not being bitten!