Garlic

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
Because I refuse to take statins, on the advice of an Asian doctor, to help bring down my cholesterol levels, I eat 1-2 finely chopped cloves of raw garlic each day, washed down with a dairy free Benecol drink. His advice to swallow the garlic without chewing seems to work in that I never smell of Garlic - my wife confirms this. 8)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
stuffedolive said:
Because I refuse to take statins, on the advice of an Asian doctor, to help bring down my cholesterol levels, I eat 1-2 finely chopped cloves of raw garlic each day, washed down with a dairy free Benecol drink. His advice to swallow the garlic without chewing seems to work in that I never smell of Garlic - my wife confirms this. 8)

Has it worked to bring down your cholesterol levels?

I took a garlic supplement for years after reading about the benefits of garlic on cardiovascular health, I stopped taking it over a year ago and now just make sure I eat plenty in my diet, interestingly I thought my cholesterol levels might have gone up after stopping the supplement but it has remained low which I'm pleased about, at £4.50 for a pack of 30 they were getting far too expensive (Kwai one a day garlic tablets).

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
My personal favourite is pickled garlic. I tried it or the first time at borough market in London, and WOW! It's so nice. It doesn't have the same kind of bitter edge that you usually get... and it's very, very morish. mmmmmmm!

LittleWolf

I second the pickled garlic! Very yummy. It'd probably be cheaper from Asda than Borough Market I'd expect though :0

Anyone tried mixing cheese with garlic and mayo then slathering on something proteiny and letting it all melt?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
LittleWolf said:
I second the pickled garlic! Very yummy. It'd probably be cheaper from Asda than Borough Market I'd expect though :0

Anyone tried mixing cheese with garlic and mayo then slathering on something proteiny and letting it all melt?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
This... must be done. I'll report back when I give it a go :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Giverny said:
My personal favourite is pickled garlic. I tried it or the first time at borough market in London, and WOW! It's so nice. It doesn't have the same kind of bitter edge that you usually get... and it's very, very morish. mmmmmmm!

Makes sense that you should get pickled garlic as it does belong to the onion family, can't say I've seen any in the shops... although buying pickling vinegar and pickling your own is an option I suppose.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Giverny said:

But does this affect the active ingredient?

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
noblehead said:
stuffedolive said:

Has it worked to bring down your cholesterol levels?

Well Noblehead, I just got my figures back.

Total Chol down from 6.7% to 4.9%
Ratio down fom 4.2to 3.1
HDL stayed the same at 1.6 - so my LDL must have come down significantly
Triglycerides down from 1.1 to 0.7
Blood pressure down from 120/80 to 104/70

make of that what you will...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
stuffedolive said:
Well Noblehead, I just got my figures back.

Total Chol down from 6.7% to 4.9%
Ratio down fom 4.2to 3.1
HDL stayed the same at 1.6 - so my LDL must have come down significantly
Triglycerides down from 1.1 to 0.7
Blood pressure down from 120/80 to 104/70

make of that what you will...

Very good I would say :thumbup:

lexilox

I love garlic!!!!! I can eat it (in other foodd mind, not raw on its own) until garlic exudes from every pore. You go eat that and enjoy :)