Less Painful Injection?

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
Unkind people, bad odor, diabetes mellitus (hehe), injecting insulin, douche bags
How do you decrease, if not completely eliminate, the pain of injecting insulin?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get no pain 99% of the time. Occasionally I get a sore spot but not often.

I use my buttocks at home, and stomach or thigh out of the house (depends if I'm in a dress or not!) as they are fleshy areas. My needle is 4mm

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Are you on 4mm needles? If not then that's a good start, some insulin can sting more than others, and certain parts of the body hurt more, I find novorapid hurts less than my levemir, and also injecting in my stomach less so than my thighs but at the same time it's important to change sites.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
Unkind people, bad odor, diabetes mellitus (hehe), injecting insulin, douche bags
Thanks for the replies, guys. I just talked to someone in the office and he told me that coughing while injecting helps a lot. I guess I'm going to try doing that. You guys should try it, too. :)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Change the needle every time you inject and dont leave a needle on the pen!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
alex_dgarcia said:
Thanks for the replies, guys. I just talked to someone in the office and he told me that coughing while injecting helps a lot. I guess I'm going to try doing that. You guys should try it, too. :)

Being poked in the eye by someone whilst injecting also diverts attention lol ! Would love to know how you get on with the coughing !

Gwilo

What about the Injex thing, or similar delivery systems?
I love the idea of it, especially if I needed to be on insulin and inject regularly.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
alex_dgarcia said:
How do you decrease, if not completely eliminate, the pain of injecting insulin?

Shouldn't be too painful and I must admit I don't feel the needle going in most of the time, make sure you use a new needle every-time as they blunt very easily and will hurt the next time you use it. Definitely go for the smallest needle (4mm) if you haven't done so already, I've read that some people numb the area with an ice-cube before injecting but don't know if this works or effects the delivery of the insulin........ so might be worth checking with your DSN before trying this method.

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
It's sometimes painful especially when the needle is wet with insulin. Hurts like hell, or if I inject a vein on accident. I change the needle every time. I used one needle twice and it didn't end up well. So I figured even if it costs much, it's good to use a new needle every time. And mo1905, I tried coughing while I injected yesterday, and yes, it really did help. I didn't feel anything. I've been doing it since then. :)