Fast foods for diabetics?

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I never have bought a lot of fast / instant dinners.

I used to buy Lasagna... And Liver + Bacon and mash....You know the sort of stuff. When you get in the door and are ravenous and 3 minutes in the microwave are all you can manage.

Now it seems even beans on toast is out so I was wondering what you have in your fridges / freezers to get you through those times when home cooking is out.

Not only supermarket faves (but I would like to know those too) I would also like to know what you can cook in advance... Home cooking.

I went to hospital yesterday for a check up and had an hour to kill. Tea is out as I can't stand sugar substitutes so I plumped for a Blackcurrant tea for £1.
God knows what I would have done if I was really hungry as there were only sandwiches and sausage rolls which I won't touch now.

Anyone?

Home low carb recipes very welcome.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Soups, they freeze well. Chicken tikka and I make my own butter chicken (never lasts long enough to freeze though). A plate of cheese, and meats, and pate.

hornplayer

I'm a bit stuck there too. Hasn't been an issue yet, but in a couple of weeks, I'm taking a group of school kids away for four days. That's going to be interesting I think. At the moment, I tend to have a handful of tomatoes or nuts on the way home so I can wait tiki have chance to cook. Eating out is a problem though.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A good tip is to make more than you can eat and freeze or chill the remainder, curry's, stews and shepherds pies are just a few which spring to mind.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Shepherds Pie... That's a good 'un.

Do you use potatoe?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Chilli con carne filling made in bulk and frozen to be used with small quantities of lower-GI rice. My wife buys frozen seafood packs and cooks with pasta tortellini which surprisingly has little impact on my sugar readings.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Lower GI rice...

Is there such a thing?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I struggle too zola, omelettes are quite quick, I was out all day today and was starving by 2 so I went into a kebab shop and bought a small donner kebab :twisted: I only ate the meat with lemon juice no pita but its ******** me up because I record everything and have no idea what carbs where in it :( the salad looked like it had been there for a week so I swerved that, was yummy but I feel especially fat tonight, but back to the subject ill be watching to see your replies as I also need some tips :)

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have bought Low GI for dummies and another book I was recommended on here and am waiting for the Atkins diet to be delivered.

It is gonna be sunny tomorrow so I may go down 3 flights of stairs and sit in my communal garden in the council block of flats where I live.

Trouble is whenever I go out the other over 55 'inmates' decide to come out too. Don't get me wrong,I am a people person and always have been but if there is a choice of sitting in the sun getting hot and bothered and talking to my neighbours... Or sitting in my flat with a big fan and the telly and my internet... Well,no choice really.

I will post up any interesting recipes I find...

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I traul thwe net for recipes and I would advise writing them down, I have a book and I write them all because if you like me stand cooking with the laptop next to the mixer adding stuff as you read you can make really nice meal or cake or whatever then not be able to find it again, hehe very frustrating.....I was born and bread in a council block but there was no garden, the only grass the residents saw was in a rizla :)

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Andy12345 said:
I struggle too zola, omelettes are quite quick, I was out all day today and was starving by 2 so I went into a kebab shop and bought a small donner kebab :twisted: I only ate the meat with lemon juice no pita but its ******** me up because I record everything and have no idea what carbs where in it :( the salad looked like it had been there for a week so I swerved that, was yummy but I feel especially fat tonight, but back to the subject ill be watching to see your replies as I also need some tips :)

If ever I go into our local kebab shop I always go for the cubed lamb. You get the flat bread which I never eat anyway and a stack of salad. And no dressing. (I used to love garlic mayo)

Think it's called a shashlik.

Never have gone for the Shish Kebabs as you never know what's in 'em......

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Andy12345 said:
I traul thwe net for recipes and I would advise writing them down, I have a book and I write them all because if you like me stand cooking with the laptop next to the mixer adding stuff as you read you can make really nice meal or cake or whatever then not be able to find it again, hehe very frustrating.....I was born and bread in a council block but there was no garden, the only grass the residents saw was in a rizla :)

:D :D :D I can relate to that Andy...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
zolabud said:
Shepherds Pie... That's a good 'un.

Do you use potatoe?

I do Zola, I like to use sweet potatoes when I make a Shepherds Pie or Cottage Pie but this isn't a problem for me as I can match my insulin to the carbs in my food.

If you low-carb you could look for alternatives for the topping, turnip & carrot mash might work just as well as long you drain them thoroughly before mashing, alternatively look in the low-carb food section of the forum for suggestions.

What ever you do make sure you add plenty of garlic in the mince for that extra flavor, I like to roast the garlic bulb first then peel the skin off and add the cloves whole, much better than grating or using a garlic press.

s230787

I top my shepherds pie with mashed broccoli, it's delish! I get the frozen bags as I've noticed the prices of a fresh broccoli head go up loads recently. Cook it in boiling water, drain, add a splash of cream and seasoning and then either mash or blend with a hand blender :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
zolabud said:
Lower GI rice...

Is there such a thing?

Yes its called basmati rice and is used almost exclusively in Indian cooking, unlike long grain rice it breaks down extremely slowly in the stomach so little is converted into glucose as with other rice.

I still wouldnt eat a plateful like I used to pre diabetes but a couple of spoonfuls with a curry I find is fine. I was told by a dietician that basmati rice has a particular molecular structure that the human body has great difficulties in breaking down and that seems to be my findings as well :thumbup:

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Sid Bonkers said:
Yes its called basmati rice and is used almost exclusively in Indian cooking, unlike long grain rice it breaks down extremely slowly in the stomach so little is converted into glucose as with other rice.

I was told by a dietician that basmati rice has a particular molecular structure that the human body has great difficulties in breaking down and that seems to be my findings as well :thumbup:
Seems weird that a varity of rice was developed that "human body has great difficulties in breaking down" It must have other significant advantages otherwise people would tend to prefer other rices and cultivate them instead of basmati :crazy:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
FergusCrawford said:
Sid Bonkers said:

I was told by a dietician that basmati rice has a particular molecular structure that the human body has great difficulties in breaking down and that seems to be my findings as well :thumbup:
Seems weird that a varity of rice was developed that "human body has great difficulties in breaking down" It must have other significant advantages otherwise people would tend to prefer other rices and cultivate them instead of basmati :crazy:

As SId says, there are two types of starch, amylose and amylopectic
(chemical details): http://www.starch.dk/isi/starch/starch.asp
Foods with a higher proportion of amylose tend to have lower GIs There's a lot of amylose in lentils but not very much in old potatoes.
Amylopectin breaks down very easily. You will have seen how quickly it breaks down if you do any cooking and use flour for thickening. Waxy corn is almost 100% amylopetic, it is used for cornstarch/flour and thickens very quickly; that's the starch granules' breaking down.'

As for rice there are all different types which suit different purposes; there are lots different types of rice dishes.
Sticky rice and the rice used for puddings and risotto. are high in amylopectin. Some sticky rice is 100% amylopectic and not surprisingly can have a GI greater than that of glucose.

There are also very high amylose rices (lower GI) ,they have one on the GI database with a GI of 17 and they seem to have tested quite a few from Bangladesh with high amylose and low GI I've a feeling that there are people deliberately breeding very low GI rice. Basmati is easily available and is higher amylose, relatively low GI but it does vary (tests range from 43-69)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
That makes perfect sense phoenix as I have often bought Basmati from Bangladesh although the sack we have at present is a brand called Salam and comes from the Punjab, I cant say Ive ever noticed a difference but I bow to your knowledge :thumbup:

Bluebell13

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Zolabud

Re topping for cottage pie - I did a celeriac and leek topping and it was lovely. Just boil the celeriac until cooked and then mash with some low fat creme fraiche. Saute some leeks and then add these to the mix and season well. Put on top of the cottage pie and brown under the grill. I also added a little grated cheese to the mash. It really was very nice.

Enjoy!

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Last week I experimented with my favourite Lambs Liver dinner.

1st I fried liver gently and had boiled courgettes,broccoli,fried mushrooms and onions.No gravy.No spuds.
Monitor went up from 7 to 10.

Next night I made exactly the same but added a microwaved sweet potato with a small knob of butter.
Almost identical monitor result.

So sweet potatoes are not generally regarded as low carb then?

Some folk can eat some things with no spikes and others can't it seems.

I can't touch bananas as they send my BG through the roof... And I only had 1/2 a banana on my muesli along with blueberries and yoghurt. Muesli without banana monitored at 10.2. Add half a banana made BG go up to 18 odd.

Have GI for dummies to read along with The Atkins diet which turned up this morning.

I am determined to learn as much as I can about low carbing and will post any relevant findings.....