Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

Do you have a preferred season or time of the year

With living/managing with your Diabetes condition?

Please tell us how or why this may be so .

It will be interesting to hear about and maybe we can learn from any factors too ?

Thanks Anna .

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I don't know why but Autumn and winter are best for me from a mental health point of view..I seem to have the opposite of seasonal affective disorder and mostly get clinically depressed in spring and summer with the worst month being July..I just don't get why :(

hornplayer

Autumn and winter are definitely my favourites! I hate summer. I always have, ever since I was little. Haven't been diabetic long enough to know if it will have any effect, but, so far? Still hate summer.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
hornplayer said:
Autumn and winter are definitely my favourites! I hate summer. I always have, ever since I was little. Haven't been diabetic long enough to know if it will have any effect, but, so far? Still hate summer.

Thankyou for posting that..I thought I was the only one to feel that way

Paul

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
It has to be summer for me even tho, there is never enough hot days in this country for me. Theres not been that many yet this year, I would guess in total 14 days of reasonably warm days. I hate winter with a passion as I'm always cold! It's depressing, short daylight hours and mostly cloudy days.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Even though I dislike and moan about the heat it has to be summer for me.

Actually I dislike and moan about the cold, the rain, the snow, just about every weather type of weather :lol: I rarely find its just right...

I do like sunshine though even though I burn fairly easily so I cant sit in it like some do, but sunshine make me happy somehow, I like to wake up and see a clear blue sky, like this morning, very therapeutic :D

I dont think the seasons seem to affect my diabetes that I can detect but I have read that some insulin users find their insulin use changes in hot weather so maybe there is some metabolic change that occurs at these times.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Love them all TBH, each one has its merits! To pick one it would have to be Autumn, the beautiful colours as the leaves begin to turn are breathtaking and make great photographs.

jdizzy74

Summer is the worst time for me as my sugar levels, im type 1, go sky high. Once temp gets to about 24 degrees no matter how much extra insulin I have my sugars stay high. During other times of year its easily managable and altering insulin by only one mark can make alot of difference.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I also prefer Spring and Autumn, they are so beautiful. Summer is too hot here for me and in winter the roads are a problem, particularly this year :shock: even though it is beautiful too.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I have Emphasyma and find high Summer and the depths of winter the worst seasons to cope with.
Don't know if having Diabetes will effect my choice but Spring and Autumn are my favourite months by far.

I was always out side when I was younger and was a Gardener for 30 years and always had a pair of shorts on and a tan.

I miss those days....

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
The winter was always my favourite time of year. Especially when it snowed (I used to wear sandles all year round, even when riding my motorbike). I seem to have become diabetic around the same time my feelings for the winter changed into prefering gentle summers. I still hate the heat, but I don't wilt as much.
The worst time of year was Christmas. My sisters (4 of 'em) would buy me lots of sugar based treats, I kept telling them I was diabetic. Sisters, ha!

michaelprg

it also has to be summer-ish for me too. but its a viscous circle! winter i love because i can control my body temperature nicely but not so keen on exercise whereas summer ill happily do it because once your hot it doesnt matter perspiring haha unless thats me being bizzare :***: :)