Diabetes Diagnosis?

LouSarah

Hey all,

I recently had a diagnosis of PCOS, and I understand this is caused by insulin resistence which can lead to diabetes. As an on the side I also get migraines and frequently get what I thought were migraine auras - blurring of my vision. (although I have recently noticed a link between this and the sugar I consume, getting blurring when I eat desert etc however this could be psychological). As I have all the listed symptoms of diabetes apart from losing weight (I am overweight and have extreme trouble losing it but my dr says its due to the pcos) I asked for a diabetes test. She did one bloodtest and concluded from this im not diabetic. Im not convinced - can you really tell from one single blood test?! she didnt ask what id eaten or test at a certain time, she just took some blood.

Is this conclusive evidence?
What should I do about the fact I have all these symptoms and she doesnt care?
I have a referral to a gynae PCOS clinic - can they do anything to help / test for diabetes too as the conditions are linked?

Any help is greatly appreciated as im really confused. Ive also heard PCOS sufferers can benefit from metaformin but that its only a diabetic drug... shame =(

Lou xXx

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
A single blood test isn't diagnostic. To get a definite diagnosis, A Glucose tolerance test has to be performed, however a single blood test which shows a low blood glucose is a likely "non-diabtetic" indication. Do you know what kind of test it was and the result?
Weight loss isn't always very apparent in T2 diabetes.
In any case, you might find the PCOS improves and your weight goes down if you follow a lower carb way of eating.
If you understand what carbs are, you can do this for yourself, if not then there are several "weightloss diets" which are based on low carb and which might suit. You can Google these, but the best known is Atkins, then probably The South Beach Diet. and Protein Power.
Contrary to popular opinion, these ways of eating are not dangerous. You do NOT NEED any glucose in your diet for energy. You can get all you need without it. Your brain does not cease to function until your Blood glucose is extremely low and this isn't easy to achieve unless you use certain medication, such as insulin or the sulphonyl ureas. Your liver has the ability to make as much glucose as you need.
Hope this helps and that you are NOT diabetic and that your PCOS improves.

LouSarah

Heya Hanadr - thanks for your reply.

Apparently it was a glucose test and it was normal. I hope im not Diabetic too. But im worried about pre-diabetes and stuff. It also runs in my family.

Ive switched all carbs to brown rice, wholemean pasta, brown bread etc - working on a low GI diet principle rather than cutting them out altogether because that aggrevates the migraines so much! =(

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Low Gi is good! If you have pre-diabetes, it can be reversed with careful diet. Just realise that wholemeal bread isn't much better than white. the only truly LOW GI bread is Pumpernickel type wholegrain bread and it's an acquired taste. I love it. Also keep portions small.

C

catherinecherub

Hi LouSarah,
As Hana says, pumpernickel bread is an acquired taste. A really good bread with low GI is Burgen Soya and Linseed. It is expensive but you need not waste any of it as it freezes well and you need only take it from the freezer slice by slice.
Regards, Catherine.

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
I was also diagnosed with PCOS last month, and I am going back to the Dr to have another fasting blood test and a hba1c. If you are concerned, perhaps you should ask your Dr to arrange this for you, to set your mind at rest?
As the others have said though, low-carb is the way to go. You will notice great results in the weight loss area. I have also starting walking more to and from work to get some exercise in. Good luck!

Trinkwasser

It's very easy to "miss" diabetes, for many people their fasting BG will remain normal long after the postprandial numbers have gone south, while for others it's the other way round.

I would suspect you are at least "prediabetic" (insulin resistance is common to PCOS and diabetes) and you may well be told there is nothing wrong until you have crossed a (rather arbitrary) threshold where the condition becomes irreversible.

See if you can get a better diagnosis from the clinic, or you can buy your own meter and do this

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

see if your postprandial numbers are out of range yet.

Either way reducing your carb load may help with both conditions, it sounds from your symptoms as if you are going high after eating and then coming back down again.

LouSarah

Does anyone know where I can buy a cheap and reliable test thingy - (forgive me im really new to this and the only diabetic terms I understand is BG and strips and lancelets =S )

If I am found out to be diabetic do I get given a test thingy or do I need to buy one - if I do end up diagnosed what happens then with care and stuff - do I need to clue myself up or will I be clued up.

Oh and here are some symptoms -

-Cuts never heal on me (or so it seems - including spots =( )
-I am always thirsty - cant leave house without a drink or I feel so thirsty I feel sick =(
-I always seem to need to pee - cant last through a whole film without having to go, need to go in the night too =(
- I get migraines which start with blurred vision auras if I dont eat.
- I get blurred vision auras if I eat lots of sugar - like a bar of choc or some ice cream.
- I am tired / fatigued to the extreme. I can never "keep up" with my partner or friends of the same age (20).

But my dr was just like - no you're fine.. ! - ok!?

x

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Lou,
Its a Blood Glucose Monitor that you want, if you have an Asda pharmacy near you a freestyle lite or freedom lite will only cost £4, this includes 10 test strips. Don't be temped to buy extra test strips while your there they charge £25 for 50 you can buy these cheaper online. Mind you if you bought 5 monitors for £20 you will get 50 strips included :shock:

Graham

LouSarah

Hey,

Thanks again for replies - I have now bought one - its pink.

Im going to keep a diary of everything i eat, symptoms and sugar levels until I go to the hospital (PCOS App), in the hope that we'll find out there is a reason for all this unwell feeling =(

Thanks for your help,

Lou

PS has anyone ever heard of drs perscribing lancets and test strips as a diagnostic thing - like instead of me keep buying them will they give them to me to establish if I am / am not diabetic?

Lou x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
In this area, getting test strips on prescription is like getting blood out of a stone, unless you are diagnosed T1 diabetic, which in your case isn't all that likely. PCOS is more often linked to T2

LouSarah

PS can anyone tell me what the numbers mean? I have readings but I dont know if they're good or bad... I got an 8 two hours after food... (My first test - and ouch the finger prick thing hurts - any advice?)

Thanks,

Lou x

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
For finger pricking advice, see this thread

How happy you are with your readings is a risk management decision. There is evidence to suggest that the risk of heart disease is increased when BG levels are even slightly raised, as a result 8 is higher than I would be happy with - having said that shortly after diagnosis, I would be delighted with an 8 :) There are also suggestions that below 10 mmol/L is acceptable. Fox and Hanas, in Type 2 Diabetes - In adults of all ages, suggest the following guidelines:

Fasting: 4-6 mmol/L
Preprandial: 4-6 mmol/L
Post-prandial: <10 mmol/L
Bedtime: 5-10 mmol/L

Becker, in Type 2 Diabetes - The First year, suggests a non-diabetic will have a fasting BG of between 3.9 mmol/L and 6 mmol/L and may peak as high as 7.8 mmol/L after a meal.

Regards, Tubs.

LouSarah

Thanks guys, I have tried everything it says but find sometimes I need higher settings than others and the higher settings hurt! Although I cant get enough blood out on the lower settings, and sometimes I cant get any blood out at all - despite feeling the needle prick very much so! =(

x