How do you carry your equipment in school?

Blondie153

Hi my 9 yr old daughter is getting a pump in the next couple of weeks. At the moment she wears a bum bag around her waist which is the same colour as her school uniform which contains all her testers glucose biscuits etc. she does not keep her insulin there I carry it. When she gets the pump she is hoping to not have to carry it all around as much. What do you young children do with your equipment in school?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
My 8year old has 2 kits one in her classroom and one in the school office and just carries Gluco tabs in her pocket for break time always giving enough time if having a hypo she can eat 2 of them then walk to where her kit is for a biscuit or orange juice and to check bloods.she now no's the sign of her hypo is shaking so if she does not have her blood kit on her to just take the Gluco tabs then get her kit.the school have been brilliant

Blondie153

So she doesn't carry her testing kit everywhere with her? My daughter feels a bit different carrying everything with her but I worry that if she doesn't get into the habit of carrying her kit all the time she will get stuck sometimes

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Re: How do you carry your equipment in school?

Not a school no they even have a kit at breakfast club where she goes in the morning as I start work early and I have orange juice and biscuits in my bag for when I pick her up,when she plays out on the green outside my house again I just make sure she has Gluco tabs on her.she carted a pink bag with everything in it the first few days but she hated it,when out shopping or days I just pop it all in my handbag,it's such a shock but were getting there ESP as the school been so helpfull

Blondie153

Well nervous and relieved at the same time. She has been diagnosed since aug last year so feel we are still learning. It will make a huge difference I hope to things like eating pasta as she has hypo's everytime she eats that and that is her favourite. Just things like she can have ice cream when we are on a day out and not have to have another injection as she already gets 5. So just little things like that. I hope we are being realistic about it. What about your daughter is she going to get one? M

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump

Not spoke about it with nurse yet,only been diagnosed for 2weeks I believe they are meant to give fantastic control ,my daughter the same with pasta,fave meal but seems so be ok without having a hypo as we're carb counting ?thats been great at keeping her sugars steady,how is your daughter coping? How come you have 5 a day injections ?i let Chloe have ice cream today then sent her out on trampoline ,find if she a little high bouncing about does wonders to bring it down

Blondie153

She has 2 basal and 3 bolts every day. We carb count too, the problem is that she loves loads of pasta therefore has a big insulin hit then and within an hour she has hypo. It is because the pasta is low gi so it takes longer to release. Glad ur little girl is doing well. I never give mine more than a snack if about 8 gms of carbs without an injection.

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump

Can u give me advice on snacks under 10 she lives off chedders crackers and skips which is getting a bit boring,struggled today had 3 hypos one 2.9 but no symptoms which was really crazy ,first bad day we have had but she been so active today and we only just been given ratios,maybe there wrong ?

Blondie153

Sure you sort of have to play with these to see what works: rich tea biscuit, digestive biscuit, half a scone, half an apple, a small box of raisins, carrots, sugar free jelly, crackers and cheese. Only obviously one or other if these. We have one at break and one at about 3pm so she will last until dinner. If doing sport she will take something before she goes in. If you need anything at all please feel free to pm me. Hope this is some use. M

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump

Thanks I will try that at 3 as she struggles with lows when we get home from school,really bad day today 3 hypos one 2.9 and no symptoms now she gone bed but bad head feeling sick I am worried to death as her bloods been great .i will try raisans she loves them but not had since diagnosed,I have tried to limit snacks as worry about the long term complications of high sugars as 10 years time she will only be 19 ! I feel really low today as though we were doing so well with her,thanks for the advise on snacks I appreciate it

Blondie153

My daughter has hypos too and when they first start they are very frightening. What was her level going to bed? If she was still low I would give her a snack before she sleeps. Do not fret if you are genuinely worries just test her during the night. Mine doesn't waken when I test although I have had to waken and feed her which she could barely remember the next day. Always treat a hypo whenever she has it. They don't always feel them so hence the fact that I give a little snack. My nurse says I can give up to 15 gms of carbs so I have halved that because I don't do snacks normally I like them to eat their meals not graze. For peace of mind just test tonight.

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump

Thanks I will ,I woke her at half 9 they were 5.2 .she felt really sick ,was asleep at 8 .its really took it out of her,I am a dental nurse so really worry bout teeth as well so worry bout snacks in between meals but suppose its trial and error?i just breaks my heart that she's so little and has to put up with so much it's such a shame.

Nitrosgas

My kid just carries them in a school bag which has lots of pockets so she can organize her stuff neatly.

Blondie153

I know it is absolutely heart breaking and if you could take it away you would. People who are veterans in this forum are very reassuring that it becomes so second nature to you that it doesn't stay your main focus in life. I am not there yet. I am like you I don't let my kids snack they've never had fizzy drinks Rex and sweets are treats! So they all go to the dentist with a spring in their step long may that last!!! So as soon as the pump comes I am hoping we can drop the snacks again. Will prob leave the break time one as that is what all the children do in school.

abbydoot

Hi I am 11 and I'm moving on to my next school. In primary school I was aloud to keep my things in my diabetes bag, which at beside me in the classroom, seriously the teacher gave it it's on chair (he was a worrier) lol. In my new school I will have a hypowallet in my bag and my b.g monitor and my insulin. (I'm on injections for now). :)