Hot weather

saz1902

Hi all!

Hoping for any experiance and advice. This is my first summer as type 1, and cannot seem to get my glucose levels below 8. I seem to have been having high readings since the hot weather started, no probs before. Has anyone else had this problem in hot weather? My diet and excersise ect has not changed. Any info appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

1974darrenh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the opposite.

Hot weather always makes my levels low. Its a known fact that insulin gets absorbed quicker in hot conditions. Hypo's are a lot more likely.

Reactions: 2 people

slimtony

Hi,

The first thing to try is changing your Lantus cartridge for a fresh one. This was usually the reason I'd have highs during hot weather while I was using Lantus. Worth a try at least. :thumbup:

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My levels have been running slightly higher in the heat too. Compensated by 20% extra basal (on pump) working well so far. My only reason (non scientific) is my body not working so hard to keep warm resulting in raised levels.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
slimtony said:
Hi,

The first thing to try is changing your Lantus cartridge for a fresh one. This was usually the reason I'd have highs during hot weather while I was using Lantus. Worth a try at least. :thumbup:

Agree with Tony that you should change your insulin before anything else, the heat can cause the insulin to deteriorate much faster than in cooler weather so do try and keep your insulin cool Saz, the Frio wallets work a treat in these hot summer months!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hot weather often means we are lazy, lie about in the sunshine. So if you're less active you'll need a touch more insulin!

For me the heat means I need increased insulin, but everyone is different!

saz1902

Wish i could be lazy lol! Got a 2 year old to run after, so i dont think i have been that much less active. May abit slower tho cos of the heat. Its a good point, didnt think of that. Upped lantus last night and am going to slightly increase novorapid today. Thank you all again for your comments and ideas x

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find myself more active in the sun as I want to go for walks etc, its not the same for everyone though.

I spent Sunday with my niece (7) and nephews (16 months and 7 months) it made for a mild hypo filled day of playing outside. I'm glad my sisters still trust my hypo awareness enough to let me baby sit. (I didn't drop below 3.6)

dave howard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling great and getting Inexplicable high and low blood sugar readings !
I have to lower my daytime (.Novorapid) levels when the weather is hot. I always keep my bedtime (Levemir) the same. Whichever one you decide to adjust please be sure to do so a little bit at a time, for a couple of days at least with each change.
Good luck to everyone who is finding problems with the heat affecting their blood sugars.

sarah1282

I have to reduce my nova rapid and lantus when its hot my levels drop really fast in the heat even eating a banana which when its cold outside my levels shoot up but in this heat doesn't even touch my levels. :cry:

jake60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm actually finding that I'm better since this hot spell started. Back pain much better too.
I'm doing a lot of reading of the more experienced diabetic folk on here and I think I'm begining to learn what's what ... at last.

Ness74

My 5 year old daughter has been having highs with this weather too, don't know how old you are but I found her playing in the paddling pool bought her sugar levels down. Your never too old , You could always invest in one & have some fun with cold water? ;-) good luck

jake60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ness74 said:
My 5 year old daughter has been having highs with this weather too, don't know how old you are but I found her playing in the paddling pool bought her sugar levels down. Your never too old , You could always invest in one & have some fun with cold water? ;-) good luck
Funny you should say that I had my feet in one that my two year old granddaughter was sitting in this evening!

saz1902

Hi Ness, im 31, so maybe too old lol. Could use my 2 year old as an excuse to get in tho lol. Its so crazy how differently our bodies react to the same thing! Having slightly better readings now novorapid has increased. Love this forum, you are all so friendly and helpfull. :) x

Italie

My sugars always run high when I'm warm. In the winter I like to have my fan heater pointed directly at me and even this shoots it through the roof! I don't do any more or less exercise when its sunny so it's definitely the heat that does it. You just need to work out how our body works and adapt to it. Insayingthat, I'd love to know at which temperature precisely my body thinks I'm too warm! :D

djp48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Snakes
Hi have been type 1 for nearly 60 years and have been pumping Bovine Neutral for the past 7 months, have a horse and ride 5 or 6 days a week, have found that all has been much easier although basal level has stayed the same bolus level has dropped a little.