Over testing - is there such a thing?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Little wolf I'm not sure of T2 targets, but as a T1 I do know that the individuals targets vary. For me - I aim to be between 4.5 - 8. Ideally 5-7 but I allow myself a little leeway on that!

iHs

Roberto said:
Last test 2 hrs after my breakfast was 7.1, yesterday it was 6.9, Wednesday it was 7.2. All pretty close and I'm happy with that.

Roberto, I think you will find if you see a hospital consultant that they will tell you that you trying to control your bg levels too tightly and that by doing so, you will find that your hypo awareness starts to change and instead of picking up on the hypo feeling when your bg level falls to somewhere near 3.5mmol (or near that), you will only pick up on them when they fall to somewhere between 2mmol to 3mmol which is fine if you don't drive a car but not good if you do. Of course, driving with safety has now been covered by the DVLA making it a legal requirement to test before they drive but none the less, a low hba1c is of concern for many HCPs....

Roberto

That's exactly what I aim for. Just need to remember I'm diabetic and will be prone to the odd erratic reading. As long as its not a regular occurrence.

Ive been reading "think like a pancreas" in little parts this week. Will try get a proper read of it this weekend.

Roberto

iHs said:
Roberto said:
Last test 2 hrs after my breakfast was 7.1, yesterday it was 6.9, Wednesday it was 7.2. All pretty close and I'm happy with that.

Roberto, I think you will find if you see a hospital consultant that they will tell you that you trying to control your bg levels too tightly and that by doing so, you will find that your hypo awareness starts to change and instead of picking up on the hypo feeling when your bg level falls to somewhere near 3.5mmol (or near that), you will only pick up on them when they fall to somewhere between 2mmol to 3mmol which is fine if you don't drive a car but not good if you do. Of course, driving with safety has now been covered by the DVLA making it a legal requirement to test before they drive but none the less, a low hba1c is of concern for many HCPs....

Hi, thanks for the advice.

Thankfully for now I can spot a hypo at around 4.2. Still the same symptoms since diagnosis 21 years ago. Never needed help either.

But I do see your point and will take you're advice onboard

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Think like a pancreas is a brilliant book. It helped me to fine tune my control so much. I still refer back to it when I'm struggling. Hope you enjoy it

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Roberto said:
Ive been reading "think like a pancreas" in little parts this week. Will try get a proper read of it this weekend.

It's a very good book Roberto, I like it because Gary doesn't push any particular views with regards to insulin regimes or diets, the book is easy to understand and full of helpful tips and advise on nailing those all important bg numbers.

LittleWolf

Thanks Hale! He's definitely over that target so one I am officially diagnosed (and in more of a place to tell him what to do... Apparently... I will give him a stern talking to. Its not like he would find it hard to be controlled, he just likes to eat junk and only junk! Skinny bastado...

Hey Roberto! definitely chill out :3 You sound cool so far but of course if you see those 9-10s you could test more with the food that produced that number if you can isolate it, then relax with the things you usually don't have a problem with.

I have heard much about this 'Think Like a Pancreas' book...Maybe they should construct weekly readings from it into a new course!

Best of luck and cuddles to everyone in this thread x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Roberto

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Feeling a lot more positive, have stuck to my testing pattern and BGs have been pretty much spot on. Only blotch was a mild hypo after the gym yesterday morning (3.7).

Thanks again for all the advice.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Roberto said:
Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Feeling a lot more positive, have stuck to my testing pattern and BGs have been pretty much spot on. Only blotch was a mild hypo after the gym yesterday morning (3.7).

Thanks again for all the advice.

Nice one! I had a mild hypo too (3.6) yesterday after playing tennis with my niece in the garden. I think it's the warm weather!

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
I think testing 15-20 times a day is verging on paranoia. The whole day must be spent thinking about your diabetes and testing. I test 4 times a day (sometimes a few more times if I'm doing something out of the ordinary). My control has been so good since being diagnosed that my DN and consultant don't want to see me anymore (with my consent). If I have a problem they are always there to help me. I still have all my annual checks. My BS rarely goes above 10 and I have very few hypos. IMHO I think having a relaxed attitude to your diabetes has the most beneficial effect on keeping your BS stable.

Pneu

Testing is each to their own.. as long as your happy with the results and you understand the risks of the condition then people can test as much and run whatever blood glucose numbers that they like.

If you want stable blood glucose then eat less carbohydrate.. less carbohydrate = less insulin = less chance of wild changes.. all very boring but all very simple really.. as long as you have your basal correct then you can't go much wrong.

Muir

The only downside I see to overtesting is possibly forgetting to listen to the signals your body gives you. I'd say if you utterly relinquish control to figures on your meter, that's when diabetes is in control of you instead of you of it.
For my own part I can usually feel it as soon as in nearing or getting over 10 or below 3. I recognize the particular feeling of not being able to absorb the energy in my blood, or not feeling 100% "on" when its getting lower than what i'd like.

Try to notice the particular feeling when it's too high or too low, in time you will be able to recall by instinct if its time to measure if nothing else.

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At the moment I am testing around 6 time a day + driving tests. Still trying to identify what's causing highs but the same food one day that gives a normal reading will be high the next time.

Obviously know when BS is going low, with the shakes, sweats etc, then retest on these occasions. Now tend to know when going high as get tinglings in the toes.

Jessicasugar24

Dislikes
Needles!
Has anyone else noticed what happens to your test sites in the bath? *in the bath*

Yes - they go all horrible and bumpy!! I'm a real bad one for testing the same fingers!! My pinky and ring finger are shot to peices!! X

Muir

LittleWolf said:
Has anyone else noticed what happens to your test sites in the bath? *in the bath*

Well I dont have problems with the tiny pricks (from the lancet! :lol: ), but theres always a little mark for a day or two.
One thing you can do right after testing is wipe the finger with an alcohol wipe or desinfect-gel. You'll always introduce a bit of contamination on penetration and this helps kill it as well as closing the hole. :)

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Varies depending on what I am doing and how I am feeling. Maybe as few as 4 times or as many as 12, usually around 7/8 times.

I always test when driving. Usually before and after meals. More if I feel ill or high/low. If I am home alone with my baby I test more especially before bathing him and if he's keeping me up through the night on a feeding marathon.

LittleWolf

Muir said:
LittleWolf said:

Well I dont have problems with the tiny pricks (from the lancet! :lol: ), but theres always a little mark for a day or two.
One thing you can do right after testing is wipe the finger with an alcohol wipe or desinfect-gel. You'll always introduce a bit of contamination on penetration and this helps kill it as well as closing the hole. :)

Fufufufufuuuu #^^#

Tiny pricks.

I use the hand gels or a bit of isopropyl alcohol. I only use my left thumb to test now as its easiest and I thought testing from the same digit would give me consistency. Plus I only have black dots in one place. It's just funny that the old sites I can't see anymore went white as well as a large circular area of my thumb and it looked like anaemic Swiss cheese lol I do only chance the lancet once every couple of days though... I'm entirely self funded >_<

Roberto

Bit of a random reading today. Had breakfast, low carb as usual, scrambled eggs and a rasher of turkey bacon.

Usually take 2 units to cover this, although only a trace of carbs still raises the BG level. Yesterday was 4.1 pre lunch so decided to only take 1 unit as I had a meeting to attend with work. 2 hours after breakfast was 8 and then 11.1 before lunch?!?

I had nothing else apart from my breakfast all morning. It's these readings that frustrate me!

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Any kind of animal fat makes my blood-sugar skyrocket - but only after a delay of a few hours.

Generally speaking, carbohydrates makes my blood-sugar skyrocket more-or-less immediately.

Dark rye bread, however, leaches sugar into my bloodstream only slowly.

So I hardly ever get blood-sugar highs - especially not in the morning, throughout which I eat rye bread steadily (mostly with pear & apple spread).

Just as this prevents my blood-sugar skyrocketing, so it also serves to prevent it crashing.

Using Betachek Visual, cut into small stiplets, I test my blood-sugar several times during the morning.

And I very rarely get any surprises.

I must say turkey bacon sounds rather unappetising, anyway.