Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
GraceK said:
I ticked to say that I would use one of those little black boxes that tells them whether you're driving carefully or not. Does anyone know anything about them or have one themselves?

My understanding was the black boxes are issued to young inexperienced drivers to lower their insurance premiums, they are fitted in the car and monitor speed, acceleration and braking sending the information back to the insurance companies, if they drive sensibly then their insurance premiums are lowered, if they drive unsafe then the premiums go up or they refuse to insure you altogether, I only know this as my lad passed his driving test earlier this year.

I wasn't aware it was offered to everyone mind, if it helps reduce the cost of motoring then I would certainly go for it myself!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
noblehead said:
GraceK said:
I ticked to say that I would use one of those little black boxes that tells them whether you're driving carefully or not. Does anyone know anything about them or have one themselves?

My understanding was the black boxes are issued to young inexperienced drivers to lower their insurance premiums, they are fitted in the car and monitor speed, acceleration and braking sending the information back to the insurance companies, if they drive sensibly then their insurance premiums are lowered, if they drive unsafe then the premiums go up or they refuse to insure you altogether, I only know this as my lad passed his driving test earlier this year.

I wasn't aware it was offered to everyone mind, if it helps reduce the cost of motoring then I would certainly go for it myself!

I put my date of birth in, I was 60 last week, and then there was also a box to tick if you wanted the black box.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
GraceK said:
noblehead said:
GraceK said:

I put my date of birth in, I was 60 last week, and then there was also a box to tick if you wanted the black box.

A lot o companies also use these as a sort of "pay as you drive" so it monitors your mileage as well. If it was just a tick box, I would possibly give them a call and ask if it would affect your premium if you removed this. Up to you, not sure if I'd like my driving constantly monitored.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
GraceK said:

It sounds about right then, those on-line quotes are normally quite accurate.

I really do think it would be good thing if it were offered to all, it would makes us all drive more sensibly and perhaps cut down on accidents too, lets know if you do get offered the option of installing the box Grace.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
noblehead said:
GraceK said:

It sounds about right then, those on-line quotes are normally quite accurate.

I really do think it would be good thing if it were offered to all, it would makes us all drive more sensibly and perhaps cut down on accidents too, lets know if you do get offered the option of installing the box Grace.

Will do :thumbup:

punto53

I think all insurance companies are all as bad so corrupt they keep putting prices up, (we all have to pay extra on our premiums now to cover all people who are claiming for motor vehicle accidents whiplash etc.,) its becoming more like America every day.....
I took out new insurance this year the multiple car, I still work full time my other half retired I pay nearly 50 pound more cos I use my car just to go back and forth to work its so bloody unfair!!! Now I'm ranting sorry ...

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
punto53 said:
I think all insurance companies are all as bad so corrupt they keep putting prices up, (we all have to pay extra on our premiums now to cover all people who are claiming for motor vehicle accidents whiplash etc.,) its becoming more like America every day.....
I took out new insurance this year the multiple car, I still work full time my other half retired I pay nearly 50 pound more cos I use my car just to go back and forth to work its so bloody unfair!!! Now I'm ranting sorry ...

Rant away Punto53, no need for apologies ... it's a ranters posting ... so feel free. What a money making scam it is. Even those who DO have accident and who get paid out, I don't believe there's a need to increase premiums because there's enough in the pot to cover their claims. Yet still they keep putting EVERYONE's premiums up EVERY year! Basically, all we're doing is keeping people in jobs, which is fine, I've no problem with that, but be realistic for goodness sake. Grrrr :x

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Grace, the FCA must have seen your rant.
The Financial Conduct Authority is now investigating whether existing home and motor policy holders are charged higher prices by as much as five times than new customers.

Mind you do not think they will upset the shareholders to much.
images

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Grace, the FCA must have seen your rant.
The Financial Conduct Authority is now investigating whether existing home and motor policy holders are charged higher prices by as much as five times than new customers.

Mind you do not think they will upset the shareholders to much.
images

punto53

Well done Grace! I enjoyed letting off steam (insurance companies) it could be worthwhile if someone sits up listens we all have to pay our way to stay on the right side of the law Pauline

Kathleen Mc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm afraid it was because insurers charged men more because they believed they were less safe drivers but apparently, according to the European courts, the evidence of them having more accidents can't be used to charge them more for insurance so rather than cut the cost to the men they are upping the cost for women.
really I believe that each case should be judged individually, cos i'm sure there are safe male drivers around and very unsafe women drivers. there should be a starting cover price and if you can prove you're a safe driver it comes down and if not it goes up.

I don't agree with safe drivers paying well over the odds into the pot to cover for the ones who are putting in the claims!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Kathleen Mc said:
I don't agree with safe drivers paying well over the odds into the pot to cover for the ones who are putting in the claims!

I agree Kathleen, but surely those who do claim lose their no claims discounts.... so in effect pay over and above those that don't claim.....or I'm I missing something here :think:

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
some may have protected no claims so don't lose their discount but insurers still have to pay out.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Back in 1976 when I passed my test, I can remember my insurance premiums going DOWN every year because I'd had no accidents and made no claims and there was no need for all this 'shopping around' for the cheapest deal. I was chuffed every year to find my premiums reduced. I'm not a nervous driver and never have been, but I'm not overconfident either and I'm never in a rush to get anywhere 'on time', I get there when I get there and enjoy the drive. I know I'm not invincible.

I have two sons and an ex husband who've all had car accidents and I think it's because they don't find driving enjoyable. To my ex, traffic lights where just a nuisance and he was impatient for the green, whereas I take that time to relax and look at the trees and shrubs - and I absolutely LOVE some of our beautiful roundabouts!

The old saying "It's not the destination that matters, so long as you enjoy the journey' is very apt where driving is concerned. :D

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
Me too! I was almost a victim of this. Husband and I were customers of Aviva for 2 years then they tried to sting us this year with over £100 increase! Yes, I am female so may have had an increase due that weird new "policy" but last time I checked hubby wasn't female so obviously Aviva decided on a price hike. I called them and they did actually offer to reduce it from £501 to about £380 but I (and hubby) had already got a cheaper quote with Swiftcover at £366 so went with them. I was disappointed because I liked the way Aviva worked with it all being online but Swiftcover seem quite similar. I did have to ask Aviva to give me notice of my full no claims - which I had to TELL them was 9 years - because they only offer a max of 5 years on your renewal. Very odd!

Always shop around.

Biker Jimbo

leking said:
Never EVER auto-renew your car insurance. They always increase it as standard for no reaon, hoping people just renew and don't 5think twice.

ALWAYS go online and get a new quote from scratch, you usually be able to get at least, or cheaper than what your old quote was. If you want to stay with the same company, call them up and get them to price match.

Again, NEVER AUTO RENEW CAR INSURANCE. #1 rule of owning a car!
Absolutely agree. Now the rant is over get those fingers clicking on the keys and find a good deal, you might even get a free meerkat!! Remember when life is bad things can only get better,

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
LemonTree said:
Me too! I was almost a victim of this. Husband and I were customers of Aviva for 2 years then they tried to sting us this year with over £100 increase! Yes, I am female so may have had an increase due that weird new "policy" but last time I checked hubby wasn't female so obviously Aviva decided on a price hike. I called them and they did actually offer to reduce it from £501 to about £380 but I (and hubby) had already got a cheaper quote with Swiftcover at £366 so went with them. I was disappointed because I liked the way Aviva worked with it all being online but Swiftcover seem quite similar. I did have to ask Aviva to give me notice of my full no claims - which I had to TELL them was 9 years - because they only offer a max of 5 years on your renewal. Very odd!

Always shop around.

I think they're all much of a muchness to be honest. It was actually Swiftcover who doubled my insurance this year so watch out for that when it's time to renew. I've had to provide 'proof of no claims bonus' to my new insurers, Endsleigh. I think you just have to change insurers every year these days, same with banks, utilities etc - everything is 'change, change, change' and I hate it. The world is bankrupt because of too many changes already - all these frivolous, unnecessary changes cost money, lose money and make countries bankrupt - but change confuses the public, and while we're busy trying to work it all out - those changes are keeping those who are 'the elite' very, very, very rich indeed. Many changes we're 'sold' are totally unnecessary, what comes in their place is often substandard and flawed - but nevertheless we're told we have to move with the times.

Sermon over :D

I'm really glad you checked your husband isn't female ... cos that would be REALLY worrying! :lol:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Biker Jimbo said:
leking said:
Never EVER auto-renew your car insurance. They always increase it as standard for no reaon, hoping people just renew and don't 5think twice.

ALWAYS go online and get a new quote from scratch, you usually be able to get at least, or cheaper than what your old quote was. If you want to stay with the same company, call them up and get them to price match.

Again, NEVER AUTO RENEW CAR INSURANCE. #1 rule of owning a car!
Absolutely agree. Now the rant is over get those fingers clicking on the keys and find a good deal, you might even get a free meerkat!! Remember when life is bad things can only get better,

OMG I love the meerkats and am actually a second generation relative of Sergei!!! I only watch Corrie because I love the meerkats. I hope the meerkats take over the world and sort it all out and bring peace to the planet. Long live meerkats!!!

But unfortunately I got my new insurance through confused.com so I didn't get a free meerkat :cry: :cry: :cry: