Petition to David Nicholson

Pattidevans

In a recent speech David Nicholson, CEO of NHS England said he had been diagnosed with T2 and went on:
“And what I was determined to do right from then was to take control myself of my own health and healthcare and I don't know – I don't want to bore you to death with my ill health, but one of the hings they gave me was a monitoring machine, so I take my blood glucose levels four times a day and I have a little chart that I put them on. Now I'm not a stereotype here, but give me a chart and a target and a trajectory and I'm absolutely -- I'm absolutely with you. They could have designed -- they could have absolutely designed that interaction for me and I have been absolutely at it since then.”

To this end I have started a petition asking him to use his influence to ensure all T2s can have access to test strips. I hope some of you will please sign it. TIA

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...-strips-available-to-people-with-t2-diabetes#

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Thanks for that link CC
I've read it and sent him an email. I couldn' get the petition to come up
Hana

NorthernPam

Hi - Have just signed the petition. Thanks for setting this up as reading other posts it is important and I hope it will get lots of support. The link came up with a blank page but a page refresh then brought it up so if anyone else has trouble with the link then please try this.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4 tests a day! wow I don't get 4 tests a week (4 pots of 50 a year) and I am on gliclizide a hypo inducing drug! just shows you its not who you are but what you are that counts, thanks for the full transcript Catherine - made interesting reading and I could so relate to the poor parents of the girl with special needs, :( I wonder what he would say to someone like me who funds there own strips from their £59 a week carers allowance?

Need to think my next career move though he did say he wasn't retiring just yet :lol:

desidiabulum

Congratulations pattidevans on seizing the opportunity so well, and with such tact. If the deeply unpopular Sir David could grasp that support for fellow-diabetics could redeem him a little then he could be a valuable ally, and for that reason one shouldn't criticize. But I have to say on reading the speech that the combination of cheerful ignorance, lack of curiosity about his own organization, lack of interest in details, and smug self-satisfaction and self-righteousness confirms all my worst assumptions about NHS senior management

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
catherinecherub said:
If anyone wants to read all that he said about diabetes please read the bottom of page 10 and all of page 11.

http://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/up ... -06-pm.pdf

Just read pages 10/11.

So whats he trying to say there, that we should all get meters and test strips on the NHS? Or that we should all say "no" to our doctors, "I dont want those awfully expensive meds I'll do it by diet alone".

Sorry if I sound cynical, but I am. Bosses and politicians, is there a difference? They both say one thing and mean something else :evil:

Edit: ps. Petition signed :thumbup:

mcdonagh47

No chance.
I've been testing myself and campaigning for Type 2 access to testing for 21 years.
I will not sign a petition that erects a further barrier to T2 access to testing.

ALL Type 2 diabetics need test strips and training in how to use and interpret them, this should not be restricted to a chosen few ( and WHO will chose the few T2s who "deserve" test strips and on WHAT criteria ? )

Type 2s do not have to justify their existence or beg for crumbs from the NHS table.
Testing is their necessary right not a privilege to be earned.

P.S. why not petition to restrict test strips only to Type 1s who are "Motivated" ?

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I read the motivated bit as "any Type 2 that wants to test". If someone isn't motivated to use them, they won't, so it's pointless giving them test strips.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I couldn't access the petition, so I simply emailed. I've just received an answer saying they are looking in to the matter and will contact me soon. I won't hold my breath.
As to giving strips to people who won't use them. they end up on ebay.
Hana

Pattidevans

OK thank you Peter (McDonagh). I was not trying to restrict strips to "those who are motivated", However there are many who aren't and who won't use them and to what (expensive) end will that achieve? I have included a sentence which asks for testing information to be given to newly diagnosed people.....

But again, over a period of over 10 years (and in many forums and newsgroups) you have serially questioned my perfectly honest and transparent motives for helping people wherever I can. I'm T1 I don't have to beg for strips, I just want to help T2s and any other people who are having difficulties.

mcdonagh47

Pattidevans said:
OK thank you Peter (McDonagh). .

No charge. I'm putting a rival petition to Sir David ... as below ...helpful suggestions welcome ...unlike you I can take constructive criticism on board without becoming paranoid:wink:

"Dear Sir David
In a recent speech you said “And what I was determined to do right from then was to take control myself of my own health and healthcare and I don't know – I don't want to bore you to death with my ill health, but one of the things they gave me was a monitoring machine, so I take my blood glucose levels four times a day and I have a little chart that I put them on. Now I'm not a stereotype here, but give me a chart and a target and a trajectory and I'm absolutely -- I'm absolutely with you. They could have designed -- they could have absolutely designed that interaction for me and I have been absolutely at it since then.”
We are pleased that you have taken ownership of your diabetes and have the wherewithal to do so i.e. test strips. However, you may be unaware that many people with Type 2 diabetes are routinely and flatly denied prescriptions for test strips by their Doctors, who apparently think that a 3 monthly, 6 monthly, or even in some cases yearly, Hba1c is sufficient to manage their disease. They are unable to test their blood sugars in order to adjust their diet to control the disease and are denied the opportunity to be a full partner in their own care, in direct contradiction to the National Framework for Diabetes. If all Type 2 Diabetics were given the test strips and training to use and interpret the results it would enable them to adjust their diet and exercise regimes to maximise their control and subsequently minimise any future complications that would cost the NHS further down the road. A prescription for strips and training on testing would go a long way to save the NHS money in the longer term.
We are therefore petitioning you to use what influence you have whilst you remain in post to change this situation and make test strips and training on how to use the results available to all people with Type 2 Diabetes.
And further we petition Sir David Nicholson, as Chief Executive of the NHS, to BAN all CCGs and individual healthcare professionals from telling newly diagnosed Type 2 Diabetics that they “do not need to test”, which seems to be common practice today."

Jools5

I am an Aussie and I'm completely shocked that you fellow type 2's don't get cheap testing strips - in Oz we pay $11 - £7 I think - for 100 strips, no restrictions on how many you use. Good luck with changing the system there, cheers, jools

julie54

Petition signed! I am also disgusted that I am not being given the opportunity to manage my own condition! Newly diagnosed about a month ago, my G.P. response was to immediately prescribe tablets - and when I questioned the issue of trying diet change first, this was immediately rejected by her as an option, stating that it is now the policy of their practice to put everybody straight onto medication, including pre-diabetics. I stood my ground, although felt like a 'naughty girl' and have not taken medication but have been using diet control - assisted by all of the great advice and guidance in these forums. However, whilst my G.P. was more than ready to prescribe medication, she would not give me a monitor/strips, stating that they are not able to do this. I have written to the CCG and made my feelings about this known, and have just received a reply stating -

"The usefulness of self monitoring is debatable, since evidence suggests that Self monitoring of blood glucose has a limited role in improving blood glucose control in people with type 2 diabetes on oral agents, or being treated with diet alone. For many non-insulin treated people with type 2 diabetes, it is usually better to focus on areas likely to make a difference to their symptoms and cardiovascular risk. Such areas include support and advice around nutrition, exercise, smoking cessation, foot care, together with blood pressure and cholesterol control, In summary, frequent testing of blood glucose is unnecessary in many people with type 2 diabetes, however, in some people the information from SMBG may be used to maximise the effect of lifestyle and medication. It would be adviseable to discuss this with the diabetic nurse at your practice to assess the need for self-monitoring and the potential frequency of monitoring, if deemed appropriate."

And so I did discuss this with my Diabetic nurse, whose approach was somewhat different to my G.P. in that she accepted my choice not to go on medication in the first instance, stating that it is my body and my diabetes and that she was happy to support me in my decision. She said that she was able to give me a monitor which contained 25 strips, but that she would not be able to prescribe further strips. So once again - a brick wall!! Like a previous contributor to this thread, I am also living on £59 per week as a carer for my elderly parents, and cannot afford the cost of strips on my budget.

I will be contacting the CCG again to follow this up. Whilst their reply was somewhat contradictory, they do give the impression that there was some flexibility in whether strips could be prescribed. Whereas in reality, my Diabetic Nurse was saying that her hands were tied. David Nicholson perhaps needs to make it clear to local CCG's and Doctors whether the limiting of strips is a guidance or a directive. My G.P. practice is clearly responding to it as a directive to not prescribe - whereas if it is a guidance there would be some flexibility.

Pattidevans

Just unashamedly bumping this thread. Please sign, I need at least 500 sigs to give it some weight and there's not a lot of time to get it in so he can do something before he retires.

julie54

I did e-mail Sir David Nicholson - at the e-mail address I found on the web, but received a reply stating that this e-mail address was no longer monitored, but to e-mail instead to: [email protected] - which I have since done, for the attention of Sir David Nicholson. Maybe if others also e-mail, strength in numbers might illicit a reply!