Hayfever and Diabetes

susanmanley

Interesting post.
I have suffered with sever hayfever [the all year round type!!] for my whole life and am allergic to a range of things. This year has been exceptionally bad and also I have found the Cetrizin has been making me very sleepy. At first I thought it was just the heat but now sure it is the tablets. In fact today I asked if they could change them for a while to see the effects.
Also my readings have been very erratic over the last few weeks and now wonder if that is the cause.

diet only type 2

Evee_12

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
More a curiosity than anything...

My hayfever has kicked off big time over the last couple of days and for anyone who has it you know just how horrible it can be. I spoke to the chemist in Boots who said that they are expecting it to be a pretty bad year this year. What joy!

I was just wondering if anyone else suffers from it and whether it has any effect on your diabetes - blood sugar levels etc. I'm already exhausted from the constant sneezing, itching nose and eyes (oh, and I get the joy of ear-ache as well with hayfever!) and it's only been a day and a half!

Hi Sarah sorry to hear that hope you are managing to cope. Have a read on this site it has information for the best way to treat hay fever and reduce exposure to pollen. Hope this help. http://www.allergycosmos.co.uk/hay-fever/treatments/

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The hayfever season is approaching again, and I was wondering if my hayfever could have influenced my T@ diagnosis last year.
I understand from what I have read on this forum that any infection can stress our system, with increased Cortisol being produced which in turn can lead to higher blood sugar readings. My bs readings went up to 9.3 a few weeks ago when I had a sore throat and cold.
My HbA1c test last year was at the end of August, when my reading was 49. As I would have had hayfever over the previous 12 weeks, could that have raised my bs to diabetic level, which might otherwise have been in the non-diabetic range?
What do other hayfever sufferers think? Were you diagnosed after the hayfever season?