Heat and high blood pressure

Isobel94

Hello everyone,

This may or may not have something to do with diabetes but I'm freaking out here...

I'm a type one diabetic on novorapid and lantus. And where I am now it is very, very hot, considering that it's Ireland! :shock: Today it was apparently 29 degrees Celsius. I was out and about a lot today as I had a few things to deal with, so I soaked up a lot of the heat. I was sweating excessively as a result. I had an appointment at the diabetes clinic and they checked my blood pressure and it was 140 over 90!! And the nurse didn't remark at all! I am reading up about this online and I'm seeing things like "Stage One High Blood Pressure!! :***:

I must also mention the fact that I have drank a lot of caffeine recently, having up to 4 cups of coffee a day. This was within the last month and a half. I think I'll cut that out, but in the meantime I would like to know if heat causes changes in blood pressure? I am usually in or around 110 over 60.

I am one baked cookie!

Izzy.

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Just off hand, I think heat is responsible for raising blood pressure. Also, when the test is taken, if you have eaten beforehand it is likely to be higher. - and also, if you need to go to the loo, it can be raised.

I reckon your are right to stop your coffee drinking. That is a stimulant, so must have an effect . Not great for the liver either.

Because I have something called ectopic heart beat, I decided to invest in one of those home BP monitors. I got it at Boots for around £70.00. I take my BP every morning when I get up. The monitor tells you if the reading is worrying. It also gives you your pulse. I have found it very reassuring to be able to check it out.

I hope you have cooled down now!!

Cath

Isobel94

Hi Cathy, thanks for your reply. I've cooled off now, just got a little sunburn :(

I hadn't eaten beforehand but I did need to pee, not badly though. I was at the stage where I thought, "I'd like to go soon, it'd be nice". It wouldn't have stressed me out. I wanted to have something in my bladder as they were looking for a urine sample :wink:

I may invest in a home blood pressure monitor if my symptoms persist.

Thanks!

Izzy.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Isobel94 said:
Hello everyone,

This may or may not have something to do with diabetes but I'm freaking out here...

I'm a type one diabetic on novorapid and lantus. And where I am now it is very, very hot, considering that it's Ireland! :shock: Today it was apparently 29 degrees Celsius. I was out and about a lot today as I had a few things to deal with, so I soaked up a lot of the heat. I was sweating excessively as a result. I had an appointment at the diabetes clinic and they checked my blood pressure and it was 140 over 90!! And the nurse didn't remark at all! I am reading up about this online and I'm seeing things like "Stage One High Blood Pressure!! :***:

I must also mention the fact that I have drank a lot of caffeine recently, having up to 4 cups of coffee a day. This was within the last month and a half. I think I'll cut that out, but in the meantime I would like to know if heat causes changes in blood pressure? I am usually in or around 110 over 60.

I am one baked cookie!

Izzy.

Stands to reason that the heat will stress the body and make the heart work faster, I wouldn't read too much into the 140/90 reading if your bp is normally fine, if you want buy yourself a home bp monitor ( upper cuff model) and test your bp at home when your more relaxed, take a note of your readings and present them at your next clinic appointment and ask the nurse/gp what they think of them.

Isobel94

Hi noblehead, yes, the heat definitely takes it toll, especially because we're not used to it over here! The trains have been delayed by hours and everything!

I don't think I will look too much into it as I do believe I got that result due to the heat. If heat can cause water to boil imagine what it does to the blood... :crazy:

Hopefully this weather doesn't last too long, or else I will have to become a hermit, what with the added hypos as well.

Izzy.