Exercise troubles

jfyie123

Im an 18 year old lad so typically im aiming to live an active lifestyle. Over the past few weeks i've often gone on walks/ jogs or played sport with friends but i've experienced hypo like symptoms most times which is really frustrating. I feel that I have to pre plan everything which annoys me as I'd prefer to be more spontaneous!

Do does anyone have any advice/tips they've learnt?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Runsweet is a useful site to look at for information about exercise and diabetes.

Are you on injections or the pump?

I used to make sure that I had a lucozade drink with me when doing cardio exercise and sipped it as I was running (I would run for about 30 mins).

Also lifting weights can actually make your blood sugar rise.

So It's always a good idea to test before exercise and during / after.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've restarted exercising recently, and discovered a new love for Jaffa cakes! You can't always pre-plan, but I make sure I have Jaffa cakes in the house and always have 1 before exercising. If I'm out for a long time (hike etc) then ill have another one about an hour in.

My issues are more surrounding hypos later that day or the next day, so I reduce my levemir the evening after exercise which seems to help

Matilda14919

I want to lose weight at least 20 kg but every time I excersise I go hypo my gym membership was cancelled and I've been told if I want to join again I have to bring a doctors note what exercise can you recommend

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I walk my dog every day, so every 2nd day I make it a run instead. Gets me fresh air and the dog loves it too!

Roberto

I'd go mad if they took my membership away because of that, doesn't sound fair at all! Surely if you are hypo aware they can't do that?!

I'll test pre gym and post gym. If I'm purely doing weights and my BG is fine then won't do anything, if I'm doing cardio or a mix of cardio and weights I'll have half a granola bar to avoid a hypo.

Matilda14919

Roberto said:
I'd go mad if they took my membership away because of that, doesn't sound fair at all! Surely if you are hypo aware they can't do that?!

I'll test pre gym and post gym. If I'm purely doing weights and my BG is fine then won't do anything, if I'm doing cardio or a mix of cardio and weights I'll have half a granola bar to avoid a hypo.

Yh I was mad as hell and I was losing weight also I walk the dog everyday but I'm thinking of taking swimming lesson less stress

Roberto

I've had my membership for years but Ig I remember right, I just had to sign a waiver saying they wouldn't be responsible if I needed medical attention....

Not like you are bothering anymore having a hypo!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Matilda14919 said:
I want to lose weight at least 20 kg but every time I excersise I go hypo my gym membership was cancelled and I've been told if I want to join again I have to bring a doctors note what exercise can you recommend

To be fair, if any person hypo's every time they are in a gym, the management have a duty of care to ensure they are safe to actually exercise. I think the gym acted correctly by getting the OK from your doc.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm sorry you feel that pre-planning is a problem. For many things, it's the only way to be efficient. If going for a run, you may need to adjust your insulin and you'll need to carry your supplies in some way.
I keep my gym/swimming bag with all I need to take, so when I go out at 0700, I just need to pick it and my keys and phone up and I'm off.
And I'm a grandma!
Hana

PaulXC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my case being Type 1 insulin dependent and spontaneous exercise is just an impossibility. There has to be some preparation. As my chosen exercise is longer distance off road running and Triathlon and Marathon (I have run 15), I'm used to getting prepared. A blood test first is preferable but can be missed if you are feeling good. What cannot be avoided is carrying some form of fast acting carbohydrate with you on the move (or keeping on the side lines for team sports). I have used glucose tablets (a bit dry), jelly babies (more easy to chew), running gel sachets and special running carbohydrate drink powder mixes (see SIS sports for some), and commercial offerings like the supermarket lucozade copies - personally I find lucozade very "synthetic" to taste. For your particular issue I think I would recommend the gel sachets as they are easy to pocket and or carry. have robust packaging, and are quick acting. I have seen them in my local but rather large Tescos but also available from some sports running shops and of course internet mail order.

Its not really that much preparation, same thing every time, but then I try to carry glucose tablets when ever I am out of the house so running is no different.

Paul
Type 1 March 1982
London Marathon x 7 first one in 1983
Southend Marathon x 1
Beachy Head Marathon x 7
Triathlon x lots

Matilda14919

Thank you :)
I'm also insulin dependent on lantus and novorapid my sugars are on point and that's due me obsessively monitoring them - my grandpa passed away because he didn't have control of his diabetes so I'm just scared. But now my sugars are on point I just want to lose the weight - ill try the gel and observe the result while running and swimming hopefully ill lose the weight - I've got a big belly (I don't drink so I know it's not a beer belly) (-。-;

jfyie123

I don't mind pre planning when I know im going to be doing something active , for example if im of to play a game of football then i'll take the necessary steps. Its just the fact that I feel I can't live spontaneously. Ah im just moaning, I suppose its just a thing I need to come to terms with

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
jfyie123 said:
I don't mind pre planning when I know im going to be doing something active , for example if im of to play a game of football then i'll take the necessary steps. Its just the fact that I feel I can't live spontaneously. Ah im just moaning, I suppose its just a thing I need to come to terms with

You can live spontaneously but you would need to take on extra carbs if you haven't adjusted your insulin beforehand for physical exercise, I think most type 1's pre-plan exercise but there are times when it's not possible.

Don't let diabetes hold you back doing the things you want to do!!!