Ketogenic Diet + Type 1 + High BG

2guns1687

Hello
Started a ketogenic diet high fat moderate protein and very low carbs but the problem i have had is that after working out in the gym my blood sugar has went high so any thoughts/info or success stories with this way of eating?

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you weight training in the gym? That can raise your blood sugars. It does that to mine sometimes but I have found that generally on a ketogenic diet my blood sugars have been a lot more stable when exercising- my blood sugar has been a lot better with both cardio and weightlifting.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also I can now run for 30 mins without needing to take glucose. When I was eating carbs I found I would constantly need to sip lucozade and after 30 mins my sugar would quite often be low anyway :-(

2guns1687

Patch13 said:
Also I can now run for 30 mins without needing to take glucose. When I was eating carbs I found I would constantly need to sip lucozade and after 30 mins my sugar would quite often be low anyway :-(

Yes i am weight training & only cardio i do is lsd (long slow duration) like walking the dog really.
This is my 4th day following keto so im still adjusting but just wondering maybe take tiny amount of insulin before workout?
Also do you do a carb load?

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I never eat carbs even before working out which can make it hard work sometimes!!

I was told by my DN to do weights first (as they make your sugar go up) and then cardio (to bring it down).

You could try a little insulin before hand if you are really going to hit the weights, but remember to keep testing just in case!!

It'll also take your body quite a while to adjust to low carbs. I read somewhere It takes between 2-6 weeks, so you may find your needs change a bit as your body gets used to it.