Living alone with Type 1

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
Hi does anyone else worry about having a severe hypo, especially at night when you live alone ? I often wonder what would be the outcome should this happen to me :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'll 'bump' your post up benjygirl in the hope that someone will reply.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I lived on my own for a year or so. I don't suffer from frequent night-time hypos, but I do get them occasionally. To my knowledge, I always wake up if I have one. As far as I know, even if you don't your liver will dump a load of glucose into your blood stream. Although obviously this may not always be the case and should certainly not be depended upon it.

For years now, I've kept a bottle of Lucozade next to the bed, just in case. So long as you've got your basal correct and you can correct (with food or insulin dosing) for exercise and drinking alcohol then you should be ok.

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
Thanks, yes I'm well prepared with the Lucozade etc and always eat something if my BS is below 5 when I go to bed. My regime is pretty stable but as diabetes can suddenly become unstable that's why I worry. I have an arrangement with my neighbour who lives opposite that if my window blinds aren't open by 10.30 then they either phone me or come over. We have had a couple of false alarms when I've forgotten to open them :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't live alone, but my boyfriend and I often go away for work so I regularly spend nights alone.

I've only been diagnosed 4 months, but I've yet to have a night hypo that I'm aware of. But I keep lucozade by the bed just in case :) If my BG is below 6.5 I have a small snack just in case

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Same as Hale, my husband has to work away a bit. I'm terrified of hypos especially at night and I have to admit its a bit if a problem when he's away as I don't manage to sleep all that well. When I go to bed I make sure my BS is over 8 and then I do set the alarm at about midnight, 2 and 4 to check it. It's a kind of routine and I do manage now to sleep a bit in between. Before I had a pump I wouldn't manage to sleep at all which left me in a right state for work on the next days :thumbdown: I think I would find it extremely tough on my own all the time but again, like in most situations, I guess I would have to cope. Good idea with the neighbour but is there also a family member around or a colleague who would raise an alarm if you weren't in work by x time? Sorry I don't know your situation so this may not be possible.

mandydowns

Hi

I work as a Community Lifeline Alarm Co Ordinator for my local authority and I provide a 'panic alarm' for people who live with disabilities and illnesses. It's a small button worn on the wrist/around the neck, connected to a unit which shared your telephone line and can call for help at the press of a button.

I live alone and I have one, and I know that if I am in any trouble, including my diabetes, I can summon help 24/7.

Maybe you could put family/friends on speed dial on your mobile and let them know, so that if you feel unwell you can just press a key on your phone?

I know that you can feel really vulnerable when you live alone but it sounds like you are doing lots to ensure your safety :)

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Doctors who know less about diabetes and endocrinology than their patients.
I too live alone with type 1, it is a bit worrying but I am lucky enough to wake up as well at night, but tend not to have many hypo symptoms. Have resorted to keeping my dextrose next to the bed it's like when you are having a severe hypo the survival instinct (for want of a better term) kicks in and you automatically reach for it even if not totally conscious about it. It's a very odd state of mind. Once I even had a 0.8 and was still able to get through it alone even if all I could see was a world of just blue (everything was blue no other colour perception) and I couldn't recognise what a chair was or the sound of a car seemed like the oddest thing ever...

Now I don't go to bed with anything under an 8 does the trick.

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
Thanks everyone. I have lived on my own for 22 years (since my husband died) so I am used to it. I've only been worried since being diagnosed Type 1 2 years ago after having pancreatitis. My daughter only lives around the corner and we speak most days but I have got the most amazing neighbours !!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
That must be re-assuring for you. Take care

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I did see an alarm advertised in Diabeetes UK's "balance" magazine. It detects excess sweating and wakes you up.
Hana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi benjygirl

I like the sound of the alarm that was posted, that would be very helpful. I have a daughter,she sleeps in another room so Iam on my own. I have had a few bad times during the night, but that was a few years a go. When my daughter was very young I was always scared in case something happened to me during the night and she would be left to fend for herself, horrible thoughts. But everything was ok, as I'm sure you will be too. Sleep soundly and take care.

RRB

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My partner works offshore and is away for 4 weeks at a time so I spend this time home alone with our 5 month old baby. It does worry me sometimes what would happen to him if I had a severe hypo. I am in honeymoon period at the moment and have good control but am very aware that things I'll change.

I usually test during the night when feeding the baby and I test before I give him a bath.

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
I used to live in London by myself during the week. The worst ever hypo I had where I didn't initially wake up, I struggled to move my arms and hold the lucozade bottle to drink it. However, that was the worst I'd had it. I know I sort of spasmed before I woke up. But. I did wake up. That gave me some comfort. To know I would wake up.

I kept lucozade by the bed just in case, and some chocolate biscuits for eating after drinking the lucozade.