HYPOS

paraman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, the metabolism increases during hot weather and probably activity too, especially with children. So both of those combined are going to lower blood sugar quite drastically. In london we were at nearly 30 degrees the other day and had about 4 "lows" in 1.5 hours. It's a good idea to test more in the hot weather.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

paraman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is that a cool bag? I've copy and pasted a bit of info below regarding the hot weather and storage of insulin and testing kits. But I would always suggest you speak with the diabetes team that looks after your childs care

Insulin
"If your levels are consistently higher than expected, it is worth considering whether your insulin could have been damaged in the sun. Insulin, in this hot weather especially, is best kept in the fridge or a cool bag (taking care that it does not freeze).

"When damaged by heat, clear insulin generally becomes cloudy and cloudy insulin becomes grainy and sticks in the side of the glass. Insulin that has been exposed to bright sunlight sometimes has a brownish colour. Do not use insulin that shows these changes. Speak to your GP or healthcare professional if you are unsure.

Meters and test strips
"Extremes of temperature can also affect your blood glucose meter and test strips. Keep your meter and test strips as close to normal room temperature as possible and out of direct sunlight, but don’t refrigerate them as cold temperatures can also lead to misleading results."

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jayne15

oh yes ..... much lower than usual which is great for my 8 year old as she is enjoying ice cream ect which would normally be a big no. last week we were chasing hypos none stop now with a slight reduction in her insulin she is more or less eating whatever she fancies within reason. its great to be slightly more normal and when the dreaded ice cream man comes its 'of course you can' still on twice a day long acting 5 in the morning and 3 at tea time 9 months since diagnosis.

jayne15

isn't it just jackie ! must really pee them off always being hassled to test and take insulin I suppose everyone is entitled to a diabetes day off !