blood off the scale worried!!

isyclex

Hi all
Very first post.
Need advice
a friend of mine has type 2 completely out of control diabetes.
For the last few weeks his blood is.off the scale. I'm talking highest was over 33. Lowest I've seen it 21. He is not taking it seriously. What cab I say or do to help? And what can happen if he doesn't get it under control soon? He refuses to go to insulin and refuses to see doctors or diabetic nurses.

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Is he fond of his eyes and feet?

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Neil Walters said:
Is he fond of his eyes and feet?

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

Would second that...sadly i don't think a softly-softly approach would work in a case where someone isn't taking the condition at all seriously...seeing the possible outcomes if i ignored my levels was enough to shock me into keeping on the straight and narrow...I feel some tough love is in order even though doing the right thing doesn't always go down too well.

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As Neil says he will soon have trouble with his sight and feet if he has not already got problems, my sight was altered when I went into the 20's, he could well be suffering from blurred vision at those levels plus other things.

If he is complete denial of the diabetes, then you may well have big problems getting through to him that he needs help, from friends and the support teams. Is he testing regularly and just ignoring the results of just doing random testing?

If he's regularly testing it may be a sign of some interest in his condition, but I don't have a clue how to transform from him testing into actual action into taking control.

It might take a secondary condition, which I would not want to wish on any one, as they are not pleasant and can't be reversed once they have taken hold, for him to actually start taking control.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
isyclex said:
Hi all
Very first post.
Need advice
For the last few weeks his blood is.off the scale. I'm talking highest was over 33. Lowest I've seen it 21. He is not taking it seriously. What cab I say or do to help? And what can happen if he doesn't get it under control soon? He refuses to go to insulin and refuses to see doctors or diabetic nurses.

Hello isyclex He's putting his life at risk, he needs a serious wake up call.

Or you could do reverse phycology :idea:

Good luck RRB and your friend is very lucky to have you.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I can only agree with the others. Somehow you have to try to convince your friend that he WILL have serious health problems as he gets older and they won't be reversible. All the things he is probably aware of could well happen. I recently went onto insulin from just tablets and it's not the problem many fear. The modern pens are simple and there is normally no pain with injecting. I much prefer the control I now have. As others have said, if your friend is monitoring his/her blood sugar then they do have some interest which is a good start. Good luck.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Once you have explained the danger, and your worry, to your friend, it's up to him to sort himself out. If he asks for help, you can do that. What you CANNOT do is to oblige an adult to do what you think is right for him. Offer help and support, it's really all you can do.
Hana

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
I don't envy the OPs situation. By the time your friend decides they want to see and not have the feet of a 4 week old corpse it may be too late!

I don't know their behaviour, or how they respond or what matters to them. I think a hard-line approach, if anything would be best for a swift result. Though they could just hide from the truth till it's manifested too much. I have grave concerns unless this individual faces their problems head-on. If they do, they will require a great deal of support. Good luck with this.

Mart.

kimbb

i would be blunt, very blunt. show him diabetc leg ulcer pictures etc tell him thats what will happen if he dont man up. alternatively on the dark humour side you could give him a few cans of high sugar energy drink wait till he goes into a coma and call 999? (before everyone jumps on me that is a joke).
what ever you are a good friend and i hope you dont have to go to such extremes to get him to give a monkeys about himself. you can not blame your self for his choices and actions at the end of the day.
good luck let us all know what happens.

JohnEP

My partner had about 15 years of undiagnosed diabetes 2. The consequence of uncontrolled suger levels is that she developed diabetic retinopathy about 6 years ago and has undergone all the laser treatment that she can and is basically loosing her sight. Your friend needs to understand the consequences. It's the not the diabetes that gets you it's what you get because of it.
A few seconds ago · Like

Joyola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A chap I know was like this, always too busy to go to the GP. Smoked like trooper, drank like a fish, lived on junk.
he developed ulcers on his foot that wouldn't heal.
He has now lost one leg to the knee, two toes on the other foot, his home and his job. He was self employed and did several different things to make money

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
isyclex said:
Hi all
Very first post.
Need advice

Does he want to be able to dance with his daughter at her wedding?

does he want to be able to see his grandchildren?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Paul_c said:
isyclex said:
Hi all
Very first post.
Need advice

Does he want to be able to dance with his daughter at her wedding?

does he want to be able to see his grandchildren?

That's blunt Paul but very true and needed to be said..complications ARE real and CAN and often DO lead to much misery! I hope the person can turn this around

tristans

maybe they need to meet a few diabetics that are in trouble, i am type 1 which had badly controlled diabeties and am now paying the price in the last 12 months, i have lost my sight and had a eye removed, had surgery to get some sight back in my remaining eye, i have major kidney problems with chronic kidney disease, and chronic anemia which makes me feel exhausted, cant catch my breath, dont have the energy to do anything at times,have had a stroke which parallised my right side, suffer major neuropathy in my hands feet and legs,have bad problems with autonomic neuropathy not being to eat properly and vomitting,and have to take a large coctail of drugs to keep me going, at the age of forty because i was in denial and thought it wouldnt happen to me i just thought the doctors were scaremongering, they need to take this seriously and maybee see the effects it can have by speaking to diabetics who have these problems.

still living and learnt the hard way

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
It might be a good move to show this thread to your friend.................

Serious, serious stuff.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tristane you are very brave and courageous to share your story here in an effort to help others. I am filled with admiration for you, you have gone through more than any one person should have to cope with. My thoughts are with with you.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

blothom

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness, ignorance, racism, intolerance and butter beans
I did the same thing myself, totally ignored my tablets, and the fact that i am diabetic, ate sweet, sugary things all the time, and regularly ran at 27+. However, despite the fact that I thought I felt fine, I was doing untold damage internally, and got the "wake up call" when my toe got infected and resulted in an emergency amputation. I can send pics of the before and still ongoing after if it would help! I am now on insulin, and it really is much easier than I thought. I just have to hope that I have taken control soon enough to prevent further complications. I have decided that life is preferable to the nastier alternative, and intend to take good care in future. I hope you can help your friend, but in the end he has to want to help himself. Good luck :)