Dental health

allyg7

Hi,

I am a new user of this forum but I was diagnosed with t1 in 2006 aged 22.
My query is that for the last 3 years I have intermittently been getting gum infections/accesses and my dentist says it is due to diabetes. Does anyone else have this problem because it is becoming increasingly expensive but obviously it's not pleasant either

LittleWolf

YES

I have had gum disease for 5 years and an incredibly painful, swollen abscess that keeps draining and making me ill for about a year.

I can't get a diagnosis and can't get the dentist to 'remember' to refer me for root canal after he wouldn't do the simple filling that was initially needed. He just takes my money and does nothing to help The hospital dental school won't do root canal. How's a student meant to go private :evil:

Sorry to hear you are also suffering :(

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had bad gum disease. I used to see a dentist at the practice who kept saying i needed to pay 2000
.pounds for treatment. She went on maternity and i saw another dentist at the same practice who immediately referred me to hospital. After a year of treatment there my gums are much better. Sometimes it is all down to the dentist you see. Ask if you can be referred .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LittleWolf

Yes it does ^

The problem is I can't get a referral. Every time I go to the dentist to remind him he sits at the computer and says 'oh yes yes, I'm sorry I'll just do it now', charges me, I go home and over a year down the line my mouth is just full of infection. Sorry if it's too much information but it tastes gross...

John7956

My dad (T1) had a problem with his gums and the dentist said it was due to his diabetes. Can't remember what he said about it though. Hope it gets sorted soon.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
allyg7 said:
Hi,

I am a new user of this forum but I was diagnosed with t1 in 2006 aged 22.
My query is that for the last 3 years I have intermittently been getting gum infections/accesses and my dentist says it is due to diabetes. Does anyone else have this problem because it is becoming increasingly expensive but obviously it's not pleasant either

Your dentist is right, if diabetes control is poor it can have a detrimental effect on oral health. I suffered from receding gums for years and this was when my bg control was unsatisfactory, since tightening things up the progression has stopped.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
A GOOD dentist will sort out any gum problems. I'm well aware that GOOd dentists are not all that common.
Hana

faircot

~||Awesomeness||~ said:
Hello if you know the answer pleas do
Do high blood sugar results effect my gums ?? :/

Before I was diagnosed with diabetes I suffered two years of constant gum inflammation and nothing seemed to help it. Within a month of diagnosis, having got my BS under control I realised that my gum problems had disappeared!

smithdavidus

Diabetes is an important health care problem. The evidence suggests that oral health care providers can have a significant, positive effect on the oral and general health of patients with diabetes mellitus. Prevention is control your blood glucose level,then, take good care of your teeth and gums, along with regular checkups every six months. Good blood glucose control can also help prevent or relieve dry mouth caused by diabetes.

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know this is an old thread - but you can get your GP to refer you to the Dental Hospital. I did.
Hope you are better & have managed to sort things out.