Shin cramps

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's happened a couple of times now and I think wakes me up. Just in my right leg last night but I think it was both before - they are about a month apart.
I get what feels like (but presumably isn't) cramp in my lower shin/ front of ankle. Rubbing it doesn't seem to help much but walking round for a bit soon makes it go away.

Wondering what this is - and hoping not neuropathy as my bg is never very high and usually below 6.

Other thoughts could just be the change of diet and more exercise. I do a fair bit on the exercise bike now and hopefully that is the cause but didn't do much before the last attack.

Anyone else had this?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just did a search (sorry should have done that first) and seems it can be a symptom of neuropathy (not necessarily diabetes related) - but the reports tell of excruciating pain which I don't have.

I think I'm going to assume it's muscle related due to the cycling for the time being.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
sure muscle pains is rough :( I suffer after Saturday with a personal trainer until Tuesday evening every week, im waiting for this to stop happening but hey ho, as someone said if you can feel pain it means your still alive lol, I cling to that thought......and oh yeah its Saturday tomorrow "Gulp!"

DavidMH

The only shin issues I have is some 'dead' or numb areas, the doctor said that is normal after many years of diabetes, as long as I have good pulses in my feet/groin etc he is happy. I had minor leg cramps a few years ago in the calf area and stopped putting salt on my meals, result was no cramp!

I also take daily 100mg aspirin to thin my blood and I am sure that helps as well.

Dave

ann009uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had shin cramps on a regular basis that's why I went the doctors and then found out I was type 2. He seemed to think it was like internal varicose veins. They do seem to be worse after exercise I must say since cutting out salt they do seem a lot better