Pump and hot weather = nightmare!

justjay

Anyone else having their levels affected by this heat atm? They've got a mind of their own at the moment! Hypos at night (always wake up) so high in morning, yesterday at work was worse. Changed everything and it slowly settled. Can't seem to get a even playing field atm.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re: Pump and hot weather = nightmare!

Mine seem to have been ok so far. Is the heat making the cannula unstick? That will obviously affect your sugar levels.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

My daughter gets hypos in the hot weather so we've been making lots of pump changes recently. For us the pump has made it easier to control, usually with injections we wouldn't have had the instant effect to changes like we get with the pump. Hope you can get it all to work well for yourself soon x

justjay

Patch13 said:
Mine seem to have been ok so far. Is the heat making the cannula unstick? That will obviously affect your sugar levels.

Not too much actually, although I have bought some transpore just in case!

SophiaW said:
My daughter gets hypos in the hot weather so we've been making lots of pump changes recently. For us the pump has made it easier to control, usually with injections we wouldn't have had the instant effect to changes like we get with the pump. Hope you can get it all to work well for yourself soon x

Thanks, you're right it is much easier to sort out but still difficult at the same time. I seem to be swinging from high to low and not just sticking to one average

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I'm having similar issues with the hot weather. I'm on Novorapid and this is absorbed too quickly in the heat so I can get bad hypos. Then I end up high after trying to treat them.

Also it hurts me more to fire my Insets in when it's hot and I tend to hit massive blood vessels. Can't wait for it to cool down a bit so I can get back to normal!!

justjay

MushyPeaBrain said:
I'm having similar issues with the hot weather. I'm on Novorapid and this is absorbed too quickly in the heat so I can get bad hypos. Then I end up high after trying to treat them.

Also it hurts me more to fire my Insets in when it's hot and I tend to hit massive blood vessels. Can't wait for it to cool down a bit so I can get back to normal!!

That's interesting as I'm also using novorapid.

Same with my sets, although for the life of me just cannot think of the name! Lol

Moved house today and was extremely hot and sweaty (sorry!) and the set almost peeled off because of that. Definitely something worth watching in this heat too

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My Apidra is loosing it's potency after 2/3 days in this weather. I am not reusing a cartridge so long as the O rings are ok and filling to only 70u, enough to last 2 days, then putting in fresh insulin.

Pepsi Max

My problem in this weather is my sugars are staying in the teens! I'm not getting any drops! I'm eating less but still exercising (running early mornings or late 9pm) I hope it's nothing but ill be onto my nurse this week as this weather is apparently here to stay for a little bit!

Diabetic warrior since 2005!

justjay

candi-girl said:
My Apidra is loosing it's potency after 2/3 days in this weather. I am not reusing a cartridge so long as the O rings are ok and filling to only 70u, enough to last 2 days, then putting in fresh insulin.

So the heat might be affecting the insulin in the cartridge maybe? That's a good shout actually as I changed my cartridge this evening and been running a 70% temp basal and they are ok at the moment. Maybe the tbr, maybe a joint venture between the two?!

Pepsi Max said:
My problem in this weather is my sugars are staying in the teens! I'm not getting any drops! I'm eating less but still exercising (running early mornings or late 9pm) I hope it's nothing but ill be onto my nurse this week as this weather is apparently here to stay for a little bit!

Diabetic warrior since 2005!

High or low teens? I feel ok when low teens but the higher they get the worse I feel! Can live with low teens for a while tbh, better than hypo imo. Oh is it? Didn't know, not sure if that's a good thing or not tbh! It's lovely don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure non diabetics realise it can affect us quite a bit.

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos

I use a pump wallet which fastens to a belt, it's been brilliant and keeps my pump and insulin cold in the heat. It's a well known brand which rhymes with 'Theo'. I must say though, I wish it did not look so bulky!! I am used to putting my pump in a discreet runners belt which is small and compact but knowing my insulin is cold in the heat is well worth it.

Wocko

Major issues at the minute but I've always reacted to the heat. My cannula is failing to stick so I'm changing it more regularly. I've lowered right down to profile one too as was waking up to highs in their 20s instead of my usual 5s. Tested at 3 and was hypo so levels appear to be due to rebounding. Also having about 3 hypos a day so put myself on a further <10% reduction today.

Wocko

Major issues at the minute but I've always reacted to the heat. My cannula is failing to stick so I'm changing it more regularly. I've lowered right down to profile one too as was waking up to highs in their 20s instead of my usual 5s. Tested at 3 and was hypo so levels appear to be due to rebounding. Also having about 3 hypos a day so put myself on a further <10% reduction today.

cjld999

Hi all,

Not sure if its significant but I am getting heaps more 'occlusions' in this heat! No two days the same really as had some highs and lows but generally a higher trend in the heat for me this time. Weird as when I was on mdi I had more hypos in the heat! Was doing so well with hba1c at 6 but will keep struggling to get it back! Nice to know I'm not alone!

cjld999

Hi all,

Not sure if its significant but I am getting heaps more 'occlusions' in this heat! No two days the same really as had some highs and lows but generally a higher trend in the heat for me this time. Weird as when I was on mdi I had more hypos in the heat! Was doing so well with hba1c at 6 but will keep struggling to get it back! Nice to know I'm not alone!

justjay

squeeze321 said:
I use a pump wallet which fastens to a belt, it's been brilliant and keeps my pump and insulin cold in the heat. It's a well known brand which rhymes with 'Theo'. I must say though, I wish it did not look so bulky!! I am used to putting my pump in a discreet runners belt which is small and compact but knowing my insulin is cold in the heat is well worth it.

Sounds interesting, could you send me a link please?

Wocko said:

Can't seem to win at the moment. Hypo at the very least once a day, sometimes more no matter what I do. Driving me crazy tbh.

cjld999 said:
Hi all,

Not had any occlusions (yet) but the same as in no two days the same

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Don't know if it will help you all with the cannulas not sticking but I have been showering with my son's Sanex Dermo Kids Body Wash & Foam Bath. It smells fruity, bit like mango, but my goodness does it help my cannulas stick better. No idea why!! I discovered it by accident when I ran out of my usual and had to use his. Then I found my cannula much harder to remove. Started using it in the hot weather and they are stuck fast for the full 3 days!! :D Recommended it to a fellow pumper and she found the same.

Still have rubbish BG swings though and really fed up with the heat. Dropped to 1.7 yesterday which is the lowest I've been in years and very scary.

Welshwitch

My pump became detached the other night while I was asleep luckily I woke to go to the loo and found it on the floor! Couldn't have been off long luckily as my sugar was good. Sometimes it pays to have a week bladder ;-)

justjay

MushyPeaBrain said:
Don't know if it will help you all with the cannulas not sticking but I have been showering with my son's Sanex Dermo Kids Body Wash & Foam Bath. It smells fruity, bit like mango, but my goodness does it help my cannulas stick better. No idea why!! I discovered it by accident when I ran out of my usual and had to use his. Then I found my cannula much harder to remove. Started using it in the hot weather and they are stuck fast for the full 3 days!! :D Recommended it to a fellow pumper and she found the same.

Still have rubbish BG swings though and really fed up with the heat. Dropped to 1.7 yesterday which is the lowest I've been in years and very scary.

Strange how that works! I recently bought some transpore tape off eBay and put some over everytime I change cannula at the moment, not had one peel off again yet.

Same boat with the swings. Probably minimum of 1 most 3 hypos in one day atm. Then get excited when I get an 8.7 pre dinner! :shock:

Although am trying different tbr and still can't get it right!

Welshwitch said:
My pump became detached the other night while I was asleep luckily I woke to go to the loo and found it on the floor! Couldn't have been off long luckily as my sugar was good. Sometimes it pays to have a week bladder ;-)

Christ that was lucky! (sorry of....!)

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

MushyPeaBrain said:

Ooooo that's interesting. I have been told not to use dove products where I am putting my cannula as they are very moisturising. Never heard of a bath product helping cannulas to stick tho - may have to give that product a try!!